It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Greetings from New York

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelCole
Newborn
Newborn
MelCole

Female Join date : 2013-03-24

Greetings from New York Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from New York   Greetings from New York EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 11:26 am

Hello!
I recently lost my Service Dog (9 year old Lab) who was the Alpha in my pack that consisted of me, him, my 3-year-old Husky (Zoe) and 9-month-old Rott (Mia).

With this awful tragedy has come a tremendous shift in my pack's dynamics and I'm at a loss to understand and help Zoe who seems to be nearly as traumatized by this loss as I am.

With a heavy and broken heart, I MUST do everything I can to try to get my Zoe-girl back to the happy, affectionate little dope she used to be. Week 1 since Paddy died, she looked for him, began to whine a lot and distance herself from me and the pup. Week 2, she has begun to instigate fights with the pup and broke the No-Growling-At-Humans Law (for which there is Zero Tolerance).

As we begin Week 3 of the "New Order", I am hoping I can more fully describe how things were versus how things are shaking out now and get thoughts and opinions from Husky Lovers who can offer a greater insight in to what I can do.

(I have previously owned a Malamute and a Samoyed -- but that was many, many years ago and I cannot remember all they had taught me since I live with a Brain Injury, sustained in a car wreck in 2000, and have some pretty significant cognitive deficiencies... And, as you can see from this "short" introduction, I tend to get wordy and a bit rambling, so I ask for your patience and forgiveness of that in advance).
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York   Greetings from New York EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm

I have not advice or insight that would help you sorry just want tell you welcome and to hang in there and stick to the rules with you Zoe.

Good looking pack you have there..

Will you be getting another service dog or another dog??
Back to top Go down
MelCole
Newborn
Newborn
MelCole

Female Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York   Greetings from New York EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 12:53 pm

It had been hoped that Mia (the Rott pup) would grow up with and learn from Paddy. Fully expecting to have a few more years with him, his unexpected loss has thrown the whole Service Dog training program into limbo. An while having a SD is fairly critical, it's much more important that I figure out what's going on with Zoe and try to help HER thru this loss that appears to have had a significant impact on her.

I will create a thread (in the near future) that more fully explains the whats and whys... I didn't want to go overboard in our introduction.
Back to top Go down
scott.valentino.9
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York   Greetings from New York EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 5:14 pm

sorry for your loss and hope Zoe can get through this as well
Back to top Go down
Gilly
Puppy
Puppy
Gilly

Male Join date : 2012-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York   Greetings from New York EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:21 pm

welcome, and i'm sorry for your loss.

in my indirect experience, dogs grieve just like humans (i've never had a dog die yet... nor have i had multiple dogs.. but i have a lot of friends and family who have had similar issues to what youre seeing with zoe.) ... keep at it with zoe and enforce the rules. do not let her do things she's not supposed to or she will think its okay from now on.

zoe should be fine eventually. she just needs to adjust to life without a pack member, something that for a husky is very traumatizing seeing how they are very pack oriented dogs (when my girlfriend left for her masters degree, my khuno went through some similar grieving to the loss of having her around all the time). i just made sure i comforted him when he was sad, and enforced the rules when he was acting up.

good luck and keep us posted! i'm sure other members here will have more advice to give.
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York   Greetings from New York EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:07 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from New York   Greetings from New York Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from New York

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1