It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy coats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Hello,

I'm just wondering at what age do pups get their adult coat. Milla is about 8 months and is quite short haired with little fluff. She was born in August, which is our winter and is yet to blow her coat. Will her adult coat come in after the blow, and what are the main differences betweent the coats? Hunter's (Mal) coat is much thicker and longer and seems to shed constantly, where as Milla lost very little over Summer.

TIA
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Sheba is 10 months old and hasn't blown her coat yet either. I think it just depends on the dog; don't quote me on that though. I am interested to see what other people say.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 11:33 pm

I think each dog is a bit different. My oldest husky Darwin, didn't blow his coat until after he turned 1. We got him in May and didn't blow the coat till about May the next year honestly. And when he did blow it, it wasn't a BOOM coat is being blown. It was a very slow process. Though since then, he's definitely blown his coat much quicker, and does it routinely each year. This winter it seems that he's blown his coat twice, since we had a good batch of cold weather, and then a big batch of hot weather for a week or two and then cold weather again for another month, warmed up and now it's cold again.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 pm

Each dog is different, Denali held onto puppy coat in areas for over a year, he had a full coat roll at around 19 months. The girls are in the process of blowing coat at 10 months and Kenna looks like she's growing her adult coat now. Enya still has a lot to shed out, the perk of having a cold climate and outdoor runs LOL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 pm

Lucian is SLOWLY losing his puppy coat. He has a stripe of guard hairs along his back and neck that stick almost straight up like a mohawk, lol. He started getting the guard hairs in around 6 months old. The puppy fur isn't coming out in clumps, or even a lot at a time. I only noticed he was losing it when I swept the kitchen floor, and found some on the broom. Sad to see the soft puppy fur go, but I'm also interested to see what he's going to look like when it's all gone.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Thanks everyone. What are the differences between a puppy and adult coat? Milla has never felt uber soft even as a young pup.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 1:57 am

The big difference with Lucian's stripe along his back is the length and texture of it. His puppy coat is soft, fluffy, dense and fleece like. But the guard hairs are long, coarse and shiny. Poor thing literally has a mohawk down his back. It sticks up cause there is still dense puppy fur, lol.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 am

I agree with the denser puppy fluff, also the guard hairs on mine have never felt really coarse but fine and wispy until the final product came in. Color changes were also noticed, and are still being noticed on my two youngest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:34 am

Ok well koda well e 5 months on the 10th.. And he is losing his puppy coat like crazy!! I dont know if its as bad as a typical adult blowing coat because ive never experinced that yet. But he is losing alot of hair! He has been losing for about 3 weeks now and i can just start to tell he is shedding a bit less but still alot.. Certain spots of his body the hair is coming in a lot darker than it was which i am excited about.. I will try to post some pictures later tonite.. Im at work rigjt now.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 am

Karli's been slowly losing her puppy coat too...I noticed because the hair on her legs came in a brownish color (hubby was not happy about that lol) and the hair along her back is coarser. I don't think she's lost the puppy fur around her head yet though because its still very soft up there.
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 am

It seems the time they blow their coat varies a lot. Kavik started blowing his around 4.5 months and now I have to take him outside with a furminator at 5 months and I can get a half a trash bag full of puppy fur in under an hour. When I brush him he starts changing color to whatever is under all of that fluff that looks like a film of white over his real coat.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:03 am

cinnamonbits wrote:
I noticed because the hair on her legs came in a brownish color .

LOL same here. My parents told me I had to bathe my dog because his legs were dirty. I was nope that is just his coat color there.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:13 am

That's what my hubby said!!! And I explained to him that's her natural leg color and he got all sad and was like "I thought she was gonna be black and white." Well she is, her legs are just different. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Wow do all pups turn brown on the legs? MY pup did it as well haha. One day I was just looking at him and thought it was dirt as well until I took a closer look and realized WOAH! That wasnt that color a week ago
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Yuki is 8 months and has yet to blow her coat. I'm not real sure on whether she has an adult coat or puppy coat, shes been pretty fluffy ever since she was 3-4 months old. I'm expecting her first coat blow probably this fall when shes 1.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 7:01 pm

I just got done vacuming kodas coat with the hose from the sweeper.. Its halrious.. He doesnt mind me doing that to him at all but when the groomers try to blow him with a hv (which is what i really need done good to him) he freaks out and might not be allowed back there.. Puppy coats 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puppy coats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy coats   Puppy coats Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy coats

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1