It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New dog owner...new husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
archna.patel
Newborn
Newborn

New dog owner...new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm

My husband and I got a husky on Saturday. His name is Kobe and he'll be 12 weeks on Friday. We're in way over our heads! He's not potty trained yet and he's a lot of work. Does it get better once he's trained? Is he always going to be this much work? I think I just need someone to make me feel better...
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:49 pm

Your pup is only 12 weeks old. It take quite a lot of patience and time to train any puppy, and with the energy level of a husky you can expect to spend a little more time. Once he gets the hang of things a siberian can be the best dog you could ever have. I think Shaqua was pretty good at sit, lay and shake when she reached about 4 months. Crate training is important in potty training any dog. Definitely make sure your new bundle of joy has plenty of energy outlets- A securely fenced back yard and lots of walks. Siberians are known to be escape artists- mine even learned how to lift the latch on the gate. Expect digging, huskies LOVE to dig. Smile If you don't want him digging in a certain place find an area that you don't care about and let him dig there.

My Siberian is now 11 years old and is my best friend hands down. She keeps me smiling everyday and is very well behaved. Not every husky gets to the point she is, but I don't even need a leash for her anymore when we go short distances.

Last edited by CavingSiberian on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Axel23
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Welcome! Any pictures of the little guy? I got mine at 4 years old, and he was already well trained, and he does amazing. Just keep practicing, and be patient! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Don't worry about him not being potty trained by 12 weeks Smile . A lot of our dogs aren't potty trained by months old. My female is 11 months old (today actually!!) and I think she has actually gotten the hang of it. She still has accidents if she isn't supervised. Just keep being consistent. Take him out every 30-40 minutes and praise him like crazy every time he pees/poops outside. If he pees inside and you catch him, say a quick "AH!" to get his attention and then take him outside right away, even if he is done going to the bathroom. Never punish him because he won't understand why he is getting in trouble. I was pulling my hair out when Sheba was about 7 months old because she was still having accidents. You just gotta deal with it and keep staying on top of taking him outside.

Siberian's, in my opinion, are the WORST puppies! LOL! Meaning that Sheba was probably the most outrageous puppy I have ever taken care of. She was so much more naughtier, she seemed to constantly need attention, she pushed every button myself and my other dogs had, and she just destroyed things CONSTANTLY! It's just how they are lol. They are totally different from all other puppies. Once you get past that stage, you'll look back and smile. At the time I wanted to put her in a box, and ship her to Canada. Now don't get me wrong, I love Sheba now and I loved Sheba then...she was just a TON of work. The best advice I can give is to read anything and everything you can get your hands on.. Siberian blogs, magazines, books, forums..anything. That is the best advice I can give!

Good luck and post pictures of your little devil!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 2:54 pm

As a Sibe owner who has had a pup, I can say that it does get easier from puppyhood to adulthood, but they will always be a lot of work. I always tell people that they are like having a perpetual 3 year old human child for 15 years. They are definitely not for the faint of heart, but will add so much happiness and love to your life you won't be able to see yourself without one. They are complete goofballs and can keep up with you no matter where or how far you go. Smile

Welcome to the awesome world of Huskies, Kale and I say hello from California Cool
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
archna.patel
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks for all the tips/advice. I can't figure out how to post pics on here. As soon as I figure it out I'll post a pic of Kobe.

Back to top Go down
archna.patel
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 3:46 pm

New dog owner...new husky owner Kobe13
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Welcome! He's gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Welcome he is very cute..

The look on his face in the picture is" like you talking me.. !!!!" or " Are you thru yet. !!!"

Back to top Go down
Axel23
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 4:12 pm

He's a great looking boy!
Back to top Go down
archna.patel
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks everyone! Our trainer is coming over tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to start training him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New dog owner...new husky owner   New dog owner...new husky owner Empty

Back to top Go down

New dog owner...new husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1