It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fixated on other dogs at the dog park

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pandapuffs
Newborn
Newborn
pandapuffs

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

Fixated on other dogs at the dog park Empty
PostSubject: Fixated on other dogs at the dog park   Fixated on other dogs at the dog park EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi all, first question for the forum Smile I've been lurking and there is so much information here!

I have an 8-mo old boy, Tiki. We started taking him to the dog park about 2 months ago, and he's done really well. For the most part he plays great, isn't scared at all but is also not aggressive or rough. I always watch for the good play body language I learned in his puppy classes, and he does it all.

BUT he has a tough time giving up when a dog doesn't want to play with him. On many occasions (but not every time), he'll fixate on one dog and won't leave it alone. He seems to take refusal to play as a challenge. The more a dog says "no" the more he tries to incite play. He's never aggressive about it, but he will often circle and hassle a dog to the point that they're running from him or running to their people. It's almost always small dogs - are they irresistible toys?

Additionally, many times when he fixates on a dog, he starts by trying to play, then moves onto trying to hump. He will try to play, try to hump, repeat repeat. He was recently neutered (just went back to the dog park yesterday now that he's recuperated) and I'm hoping that would help, but it's too soon to tell.

Overall we love the dog park, but this has caused me to take him home early several times so we don't wear out our welcome. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
CrazySmurf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Need advice on this same thing   Fixated on other dogs at the dog park EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 6:46 pm

My husky does exactly the same thing, and she is so fast its hard to get her to not get away from me before I can catch her if she doesn't want to be caught. Those two things combined make me look like a terrible dog owner and it has actually kept me from going to the dog park as often.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Fixated on other dogs at the dog park   Fixated on other dogs at the dog park EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Hey neighbor! There are so many parks around here, a lot have small dog sections (I know not all small dogs use it) but if the park you're going to doesn't you might try somewhere else? Korra will do this too, not too often. I just grab her collar and start running the other direction, let go, and she's in running mode at that point and will just run on. Then we go to another part of the park. Not sure about the humping, hope it gets better. Come out to the park with our Seattle group some time!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fixated on other dogs at the dog park   Fixated on other dogs at the dog park Empty

Back to top Go down

Fixated on other dogs at the dog park

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1