It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
trihyu
Newborn
Newborn

Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? Empty
PostSubject: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:16 am

Hi,

I'm new to these forums, I've had a husky for almost two years now and I've hit a snare; he's being left alone for too long, and I don't want to give up on him.

Is it possible to continue to keep him happy like this if I interact and exercise with him more before I leave him alone everyday?

Because my college schedule for the fall is going to have me out longer and I hope there are ways I can change my daily schedule around to accommodate his well-being and happiness.

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:24 am

My dogs used to be crated for 8-9 hours 5 days a week. They did perfectly fine with that schedule as long as they were outside for at least 1-2 hours prior.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 am

I think you will find many husky owners who have full time jobs and their dogs are still able to be happy. You just have to make up for it when you are home and expect a lot more pent-up energy.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 am

If you are afraid of him raising hell while you are gone, leave him with things to do in his crate. Examples include frozen Kongs, antlers, chew toys..things of those nature. I'm sure he will do just fine as long as you give him sufficient exercise before you leave and make sure he has done his bathroom business before leaving Smile.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
trihyu
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:
My dogs used to be crated for 8-9 hours 5 days a week. They did perfectly fine with that schedule as long as they were outside for at least 1-2 hours prior.

Wow that's pretty long..but he's crate trained well so I'll definitely start doing this. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 am

trihyu wrote:
Jennet&Embry wrote:

Wow that's pretty long..but he's crate trained well so I'll definitely start doing this. Thanks!
Yeah it was only temporary so I didn't mind, now they're only crated for maybe a total of 8 hours for an entire week.
Back to top Go down
trihyu
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:40 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
If you are afraid of him raising hell while you are gone, leave him with things to do in his crate. Examples include frozen Kongs, antlers, chew toys..things of those nature. I'm sure he will do just fine as long as you give him sufficient exercise before you leave and make sure he has done his bathroom business before leaving Smile.

Good to know thanks!
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm

My husky is crated for 8-9 hours in the winter. He's never seemed to mind and always seems like he likes getting in there. During the winter it's hard to give him a lot of exercise, but I make sure he gets a lot of yard time. During the summer, he stays out in the yard and not in his crate. He's a rare husky that doesn't escape.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Mine have all stayed crated for 8-9hrs while we're at work (Mon-Fri). Now Mya and Kody have free roam of the house and only Asia is crated. They don't mind. They know our schedule and Asia even goes right in her crate and waits for her baby carrot when she sees me doing last minute things before we leave. They do have pent up energy when we get home, but they get 2mile walk (or run), some play time, and tons of love the minute I get home. By 9pm they're all sleeping again Razz
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 pm

I have a kennel that i use for koda when im gone for long periods of time.. Right now its attached to a garage and part of the garage is sectioned off for him that is insulated and has his food and water and then he can go outside in a fenced in yard when he wants.. We are almost done with our breezeway which is basically the same setup for him just a lot nicer
Back to top Go down
trihyu
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:05 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Mine have all stayed crated for 8-9hrs while we're at work (Mon-Fri). Now Mya and Kody have free roam of the house and only Asia is crated. They don't mind. They know our schedule and Asia even goes right in her crate and waits for her baby carrot when she sees me doing last minute things before we leave. They do have pent up energy when we get home, but they get 2mile walk (or run), some play time, and tons of love the minute I get home. By 9pm they're all sleeping again Razz

As much as I would love to let him have free roam, I'm always afraid to come home and see everything destroyed!
Back to top Go down
TinaR
Newborn
Newborn
TinaR

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 pm

My dogs are in crates 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I wake up at 5am every morning and let them out for 2.5 ours. I leave at 7:30am and I get home at 5:30pm. Then my muttlies spend the next 2. 5 hours following me around while I work with my horses and go riding. If it's bad weather they just hang out in the front yard. None of my dogs are really hyper and we have such a set system that I suppose that is why it works out so well. Even when they were babies they handled the 10 hours well. I will say, it took a bit longer to potty train. We never had any problems once we got home but starting out, there would be accidents in the crate for the first couple weeks, on and off. I expected that though. When out of the crates, I think only one dog has had 2 accidents. We also take our dogs down to the river a lot on the weekends. That is a blast. Even the ones that don't like water have a lot of fun.

I don't let my dogs free roam now that I have new furniture. Before the new furniture I did though.
Back to top Go down
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Anushka ATE her crate liner and broke free of the steel crate in less than 2 hours. After that I just let her have the run of the house with her toys readily available to her to play with and never had an issue with her destroying things since. This may be because she has a 13 year old grandma dog to yell at her if she starts acting up while I'm gone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?   Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is 5 hours too long for a husky to be alone?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1