It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids Empty
PostSubject: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:02 pm

First off, no, I'm not pregnant Razz

I think Aaron has finally been bitten by the puppy bug, and the rescue I'm currently working for has 7 week old puppies that are going to be available for adoption next month. We are very seriously considering getting one, but Aaron is hesitant for a couple of reasons. First, we are at least talking about having 1-2 kids in the future and this would put us up to 3 dogs. Probably not for another couple of years, but we are thinking about it. His concerns, and I'm sure there is a work around for all of these, are travelling with kids and dogs, and finding dog sitters (or as he calls it, dumping our dogs on other people). He's not very nice about dogsitting when our friends ask, and he doesn't like imposing on other people. We do try to take dogs with us when we drive somewhere, and in that case car space would be the premium. What have you guys done for this? Neither of us like the idea of a minivan, and Aaron isn't fond of the massive SUV's. I personally don't care. We were thinking about replacing his Subaru Legacy with an Outback in the next couple years, but with 3 dogs (really 2.5, Lulu doesn't take up much space) we'd have issues with luggage storage. My thought is to get either a roof top or a hitch mounted cargo container.

Anyway, I'm looking to hear back from people with what has worked and what hasn't, so I can deliver an ironclad argument that pushes him over the edge he's teetering on.

Thanks everyone!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm

HA!!! I saw those puppies you are talking about and OMG they are so cute!!!!! I am quite sure you will be getting one lol.

As far as traveling I have 3 dogs and 3 sons, but my sons are old (ok ok so am I lol) they are 26, 23, 21! Most of the time if we go away someone stays home and then watches the pack. Last summer we went to the lake my oldest hates it there so he stayed home with Balon who would have hated the non AC house lol. The lab came with us so she could swim in the lake! We didn't have Loki then.

Oh and I have a 11 year old minivan lol, but soon I am getting a Ford Escape, love them!
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Hello Meredith,

So as if now, you only have one dog and no kids??

I have two kids, and two dogs! My kids are 12 and 5, and both my dogs are a little over two years now. It's been really easy to adjust to all the kid/furkid craziness! I only say craziness because yes kids are a handful and so are the fukids. My son promised me he'd help me with the puppies and he did....for a whole week!! scratch

Anyways over the years I've adjusted to taking care of my kids, furkids, and the boyfriend! There's times where it gets crazy, but I guess it all works out. I know you said Aaron isn't to fond of huge SUV's...well I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and with the kids and dogs it's a pretty decent size...not too big or too small...it fits my family of 6! We usually try to take trips where we can take the dogs like camping, or to the lake...if we do end up going out of town we leave our furkids to my mom or someone I know I can trust.

I had the puppy making it a fam of 7, but in my opinion it was a little too much since I seem to be the only one in my family taking care of the dogs!!! When you do decide to have kids your mother instinct will kick in and you'll end up being SUPER MOM, and everything will all come into place!!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Meredith, I have several kids all grown and now we have two dogs so I guess I am not much help. I am looking forward to seeing your new puppy. If it were me doing it again I would probably just get a minivan or big SUV and make the best of it. We have a small SUV and we try to take the pups with us on some vacations of course the last one we took a cruise couldn't very well take them we choose to board them did not want to "dump" them on family members ( really did not trust them to keep the pups safe felt the doggie camp would do a better job keeping them safe). When my kids were small we had one dog and most of the time we board her when we took vacations we couldn't take them I guess you just need to plan for the boarding costs into your vacation if you have to board them.
It can get expensive boarding multiple dogs.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 4:40 pm

my sister and i drive a blazer and bravada and we have four tie downs in the back so with her one kid now and the three dogs we have we hook my two up by their traffic leads and a carabiner from menards in the back of the truck and tie her dogs leash to the chicken bar oppsite of the kids car seat. We have only had the three dogs and kid in the car together once so far but it worked out good. When my sister has her second baby in september our plan is to use three tie downs in the back for the dogs and we are planning on trying muzzles so they cant snap at each other along with getting a barrier so they cant get their paws over the seat by the newborn. Hopefully the three pups have calmed down a bit by then which would make that plan easier, but i do plan on getting a minivan of some sort or upgrading suv's to an extended trailblazer and installing tie downs ourselves for the dogs. I guess it would depend on how much you travel, we dont travel that much and when we do its only 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive away. For luggage i would do either the roof top carrier or the hitch mount like you said whatever ends up being easier access. Right now all we do is load the floor in front of the rear seats since my nephews young enough to not reach the floor yet but we may look into a hitch and a mount eventually because we are kinda short and dont want to be climbing the trucks to get stuff off. We actually want to check out the toyota sequoia ( the words butchered!) I think it was Just for the rear window rolling down
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks for the input! Right now we're actually at 2 dogs and no kids. I'm fully convinced that we can easily make it work, but Aaron is such a negative nancy about everything. Hell he's trying to talk us out of going to Japan this summer to visit his brother and sister in law (because it's something new to him, he hates new things). They're only stationed there until next spring, so we're going to piss away a great opportunity if I let his attitude take over.

If we do decide to have kids, which is a pretty big if right now, it's probably going to be another 2 years until the first one comes onto the scene, so we won't have any puppies.

Oh, and then he's completely against having a male dog, he's convinced they just mark everywhere. Yeah, when they're not neutered... He's just set in his ways.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 pm

My boyfriend is the exact same way!! We've been together for 15 years!! yep, and still not married...he's convinced if we get married we will split apart and get divorced because he thinks it's a curse or something... Sad

Anyways you'll be just fine!! everything will work out for the best...it just has to!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm

First of all, WHATTTTTTTTTT A PUPPY?!! OMG OMG OMG! I really hope you get him/her! Ghost will be soooo happy to have a buddy to paly with! What breed are they? Mixed?

Well, as you know, I only have the 3 a**hole ninjas Razz IF WE WERE to have kids we would definitely need a bigger car. We have the Cadillac SRX cross over. Us, the 3 dogs, and one more person fit OK with very minimal to no luggage.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 pm

I can see him worrying about males marking, jasper needs to get neutered soon he is occasionally marking and drives me crazy peeing out of the crate when i take bella somewhere and not him. I would think you could find a smaller suv to work for you or even the one your getting as i dont know much about the space in it. And i think it helps to have older dogs who have calmed in comparison to our three crazies. And i'd happily go to Japan!! Always wanted to visit!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Well you know I'm preparing to add a second child and have three dogs, albeit two small ones. We bought a Pilot specifically to be able to accommodate traveling with the kids and dogs. We have a CRV and there is no way we could fit two kids, luggage, and the dogs in it. The Pilot is packed full as it is right now and we will have to fit a second car seat and a larger double stroller in a matter of months!

When the kids are older you will have more space because you won't have to travel with car seats, diaper bags, strollers, playpens, etc.

We are going to buy a roof top carrier to be able to still fit the dogs after number two is born. I am sure we'll have to board the dogs more than we would prefer in the future but it's a trade off we just have to deal with. We also leave the dogs with my mom in FL when we travel longer periods of time. Sure it's a bit of a drive and there's the gas cost to get them there, but it's way cheaper and less stressful on the dogs than boarding.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Melissa, they're pure and absolutely adorable. They're on the Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue website. I'm in love with Brutus (I want a red), Aaron wants one of the girls.

We actually got married after a fairly short time, that was the only time I've ever seen him willingly participate in a big change. Being active duty, I move around a lot and we've moved twice since July of 11. He loses his mind and totally shuts down. I'm pretty much done with the whole moving thing, so we are probably going to stay here when I get out after this tour.

Val, the Pilot just has 2 rows, right? You know that rooftop suggestion that you guys wound up going with was originally his idea, and now he's balking at it. Please do let me know how it works out for you.

Anyway, it seems like everyone here has managed just fine, and I think I've got some good ammo. I really do appreciate it guys.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 pm

The Pilot has 3 rows, it seats 8. But we usually travel with the 3rd row down and utilize the cargo space.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Noted, thanks. Aaron is pretty stuck on a Subaru, but I think there is a bit of room for negotiation there. They're dropping hints that they're going to come out with a new 3 row SUV as well, so we'll see what happens.

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 12:32 am

Puppeh! I vote for a boy! I love my red boy! Smile

And yes, Pilot has three rows! Hondas rock! I have an Element and we can fit four people and two dogs in there easily, Lulu is small and can hang out on the floor of the back row!
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:47 am

Everyone has great suggestions as far as traveling with the pups, but I'd also suggest looking into a dog sitter, not just a friend to do it.

If you look through reviews in your area or even go through a service you can definitely find someone you'll both like. I think that's a lot better for everyone that asking a friend or family member to do it. I dogsit for the families of my mom's third graders through the summer and I love it. It's just a matter of finding someone who really wants to, not feels like they need to.

Just my thoughts! Yay for puppies!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:02 am

OKay I have no human kids but have two small cars and three pups. (50lbs ea.)
We have a Jeep Wrangler that works for 3 sitting dogs and want a hitch addon or a small trailer. Not pratical at all though.
We have a CRZ which is only a two seater but surprise surprise is actually roomy for the dogs in the hatchback. We are looking into the on the roof cargo bag for a trip in Dec.

So ideas....try a large hatch back. Pacifica, Crosstour, Venza, you mentioned the Outback and I think Cadillac has a hatchback CTS. The dogs could be in the hatchback area, the kids in the seat area and when needed a cargo rooftop bag.
If it was not for the CRZ being sporty but a hybrid I would have ended up with on of these but I love my Honda!

Then there are the Rendevouz and other type crossover not SUV not Mini type vehicle that would work great.
Remind Aaron that the dogs are gonna lay dog and go to sleep after awhile it is not like they are gonn me make the circuit in the car.

cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 am

No kids here yet but its something we're talking about as well. The equinnox isn't too big of an SUV and gets pretty good gas mileage if that's his issue. Or you could always go with a pickup truck, tie the dogs to the back and then have the cab (extended cab) for the human family. That's what we are considering going with here in the near future (hubby is really foaming at the mouth for a silverado at the moment lol.)

I will say the pilot sounds like a good idea, especially if you are only planning on two kids. The back row goes down for the dogs and the middle row contains the minions. I think if you show him enough puppy pix he'll come around, I know that totally worked on my hubby!
Back to top Go down
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 pm

We have two kids and two dogs. They kids are 6 and 3 and the hairy kids are 3 and 13. We all fit nicely into a Toyota Highlander for trips around town, to the park, etc. We have a trusted pet groomer/dog care center here that we use if we can't take the puppies on extended trips. If you ask you can get your dogs boarded together so they're less apt to have separation issues. That's what we do. Anushka is always ready to leave because she loves the freedom of home, but Hannah (the old grumpy one) would be happy to stay there and get pampered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids   people - Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for input from people with multiple dogs AND kids

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1