It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Chipping a dog, good or bad?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

Chipping a dog, good or bad? Empty
PostSubject: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 pm

From what I've read it seems like a normal collar with an ID tag would be better, but I would like to hear other people's opinions on this. At first I thought chipping a dog meant you could GPS track your dog around the world and find them that way, but since that's not the case I have no idea if it's something worth looking into or not. Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:11 pm

I think its definitely something worth looking into. A, if your dog is lost and many many miles away and slips his/her collar or loses his/her tags and a shelter finds her, they can scan for a chip and find that the original owner was indeed you. B, if your dog is ever stolen, a micro chip would be another way to try and prove that you were the original owner.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Those are some pretty good points. Does it hurt the dog at all or affect them in any way?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 pm

AMB wrote:
Those are some pretty good points. Does it hurt the dog at all or affect them in any way?

Hmm.. as in 'hurt', maybe only the way a rabies shot may hurt. Cloud is a big baby when it comes to shots but Yuki doesn't care at all. And no, they don't act any differently, its a very tiny chip that goes into their shoulder. Cloud has one and Yuki doesn't (yet) but neither seem different.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:30 pm

I see... I might look into it then, thanks!
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:28 am

It is pretty painless. It is a micro chip inplanted with a shot/needle. Smile I got all my dogs done. Our lab/pit mix went visiting neighbors one day and the Dog pound picked her up and scanned her, Instead of taking her to the shelter they just brought her back home for us. Smile
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:36 am

I was told the needle they use is pretty big, so they preferred to do Karli's when she was under for her spay. It definitely helps with huskies because they are escape artists and its always good to have that extra security. The shelters or vets can scan for the chip and contact you if they find your dog. Definitely worth it.
Back to top Go down
LokiTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
LokiTheHusky

Female Join date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:43 am

Yeah, they were definitely pretty big! All of my dogs took it with no yips or problems though. This is what they use..

Chipping a dog, good or bad? FN-MICROCHIPPING-02_t300
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:53 am

Okay now I'm pretty interested. Is there any physical change in their shoulder area after the shot (i.e is it implanted chip shallow enough to feel when petting them or something?) Also how much would it cost? The more I'm reading about it the better it sounds but I'm not 100% sold on it quite yet...
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 1:27 am

It was $48 for Karli's chip...and no there is no change. Like she's chipped, but I have absolutely no idea where. I couldn't find it to save my life.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 9:37 am

Oh that's actually cheaper than I thought. Okay I think I'll do that then, what would be a good time to get them chipped (especially if they were already neutered/sprayed)?
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 10:52 am

check with your local spca to see if they microchip, ours does and it's only $15 and then you pay to register it with the microchip agency that stores all your info.

Dakota was chipped when he was fixed at 2 months ( fixed early due to undescended testicle) Rusty was chipped at 4 months by the spca.

I feel so much safer knowing no matter what happens to their collars if they get out they will get back to me if picked up by a vet or the spca.

Most people these days will take a stray dog they find to a vet or the spca to be scanned to see if they have a microchip, it's becoming standard practice.

It's having a "tag" that can not be removed. Smile

also the needle may look really big but it's the same size needle they use when you donate plasma to the blood bank. I can tell you from personal experience they don't hurt any more than any other injection i've ever gotten, including my last tetanus.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 11:15 am

The girls were chipped before I picked them up at 8 weeks. Denali I had done his first puppy check up when he was 12 weeks or so. Dakota and Juneau were around the same age when they had theirs done as well. Rockie, Tikaani, and Timber were done when they were neutered. Such a piece of mind, as others have mentioned, to have a tag that can't be lost.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 11:21 am

My vet doesn't fix pets until they are 6 months old so I did not wait for him to be under anesthesia....through the grape vine I heard to have his 4 siblings have gotten out and were never seen again (doesn't help that the owners didn't look for them) anyway it made me nervous so we chipped him. He did yelp, but he yelps very easy. He was fine right after and ready to play.
Back to top Go down
Epimetheus
Puppy
Puppy
Epimetheus

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:04 pm

Reasons for microchipping
If the dog loses it's collar or if someone steals the dog, then the microchip will be an identifier. We prefer to chip our dogs. The process is not painless however, dogs are stoic and do not seem to mind, even younger pups.

The chip is usually inserted between the shoulder blades, however it can migrate until the tissue firms up around it. One of our dogs had their chip slide down to the front shoulder. We have never been able to feel the chip while petting the dog.

Cost
Cost varies widely. Our local spay-neuter clinic does it for $10 while the dog is in for the operation. The chip company gives them free supplies because they will make the money back when you register the dog. Registration can cost $50 for lifetime or $10-25 per year.

Other IDs
We also have them wear collars and three types of tags

1. Town-issued licence tag, which is also proof of rabies vaccine (required)
  2. one tag with the chip information,
  3. standard ID tags with the animal's name, our address, and our phone number.

We always use collar tags from Boomerangtags.com because they lay flat against the collar. It is more difficult for the little dears to tear off when they are playing. The tags with our phone number has returned them to us several times.
Back to top Go down
soul embrace
Teenager
Teenager
soul embrace

Male Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 12:50 pm

AMB wrote:
Okay now I'm pretty interested. Is there any physical change in their shoulder area after the shot (i.e is it implanted chip shallow enough to feel when petting them or something?) Also how much would it cost? The more I'm reading about it the better it sounds but I'm not 100% sold on it quite yet...

the chip is about the size of a grain of rice so once it's in they can't feel it and you won't be able to find it. when i had my puppy chipped i was in there and she didn't even flinch when they put the needle in.

i think i paid $40 to have mine chipped and i paid like $18 dollars for a lifetime registration
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

I got mine chipped when they were puppies. I held treats in front of their face and they didn't notice getting chipped at all. They were too worried about getting the treat! I think every dog owner should get their dog microchipped. If they get loose and loose their collar (or someone steals the dog), you can still prove the dog is yours. If your dog lands in a shelter, the shelter will check for a chip. I think it's one of the best ways to get your dog back if it ever gets loose. I've found the home of a stray small dog before by taking it to a vet and having them check for a microchip. Sadly, that was the only dog out of the 5 or so strays I've personally found that had a chip and two I never found their owners. A chip would have helped reunite them with their families.

Chipping a dog, good or bad? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 2:24 pm

I got Blaze chipped when he was neutered. We were required to have her chipped at the shelter before we could have her. There are lot of events here that are dog and owner friendly and someone usually ofters cheap microchipping at these events like about $20 or less. I found two different dogs one was chipped but the information was out of date on her I was still able to find her owner and they updated the information afterwards. The second dog I found had not collar and no chip I end up calling the shelter to come and get him he was a beautiful Malamute or husky mix wasn't sure.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Oh I want to add I am always worried about someone stealing my dogs I figure if they did when they took them to a vet they would scan for a chip and get them back to me ( hopefully).
Back to top Go down
SkyPlusUs
Teenager
Teenager
SkyPlusUs

Female Join date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Both of our dogs have them, they usually get done same time as their injections

We took Sky for her chip a few weeks ago, she gave one short yip of surprise and nothing else, no struggle or fuss.

My 5 year old who was with us cried for 10 minutes
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Okay thanks guys! That's a lot of convincing posts, I think I'll go for it when the time comes. Thanks again! Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 3:54 pm

My sibe is chipped and he screamed like it was nobodies business when it was done. It certainly is not painless to have it inserted (it's a huge needle) but once it's in they're fine. There are some negatives associated with microchips so I prefer not to microchip my non-flight risk dogs. So only one of my 3 dogs is microchipped, and I don't intend to ever get my Chihuahuas done.

Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 5:14 pm

It usually isn't too bad for them. Lycus was a big baby and screamed bloody murder with his parvo shots so I got him chipped when he was neutered lol.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 6:32 pm

One thing, tho, you cannot GPS a dog with a microchip. That eould require a battery and processing chip that couldnt possiblly be inserted under the skin. But there are some great products--tracking collars--that seem great. You can even use a moble app to track. 10-12 bucks a month service fee.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 7:36 pm

@Huskyluv: What kind of negative associations? I think I remember reading something about a study linking it to a type of cancer (that would be pretty bad!) but I'm not sure...

@Rocio_Caballero: Yeah I think that if I do this I might do it when they neuter him since it doesn't sound very pain-free...

@Mishka'sMom: Yup, I was such a noob for thinking that. >.< GPS tracking takes a lot of battery power and would be way more expensive as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chipping a dog, good or bad?   Chipping a dog, good or bad? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chipping a dog, good or bad?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next