It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

tips on a growing family?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

tips on a growing family? Empty
PostSubject: tips on a growing family?   tips on a growing family? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 1:31 pm

I've noticed quite a few of you have your huskies and growing human families as well. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about helping the pups to adjust to that growing family? And to help with possessive behaviors and possible aggression when it comes to a pregnant family member? I have never had to deal with this, I will be talking to our trainer to see if she has any suggestions but figured if anyone has experienced this they might have a better idea then her.

I am trying to solve the problems my two have and I feel like I'm on a limited time basis, my sister is trying to get a house in the next 8 months to a year and I will be moving in with her, her boyfriend, my nephew, niece and their dog. But right now my sister is 5 months pregnant and we noticed just within the last day or two that Bella is not allowing Jasper near her now. She reached to pat Jasper on the head as he tried coming by her, she had already petted Bella, Bella turned back to Jasper did a growl, which seems to be normal lately, but her fur stood on edge and she wouldnt let poor Jasper get anywhere near for a pet. My sister told Bella no and i think grabbed her and pulled her away from Jasper telling her no the whole time and to be nice. This is a big concern for us we dont want any issues between the dogs when it comes to the children or issues with possessiveness towards my sister because she cannot safely grab a dog if a problem pops up right now. Of course shes been told that if shes with my two pups and they start a fight to just leave it alone and yell for someone or let them deal with it themselves. But stubbornness runs in the family I guess and I know she will grab them.

I have been seeing some dominance and aggressive issues with Bella towards Jasper but usually she just grabs him and lets go its like she always has to reassure herself that shes the top dog when in presence of her human pack, if you spy on them outside when no ones around she can be ornery but usually they will play a bit then leave one another alone and just go lay in the shade together. Jasper just does not care if Bella is the alpha or not he just takes what she doles out until he defends himself Our big problem has has bed time fights for one reason or another typically over a toy which has been solved by seperating them in their own cages and they have to be caged for the night for now, i tried to give them run of the room but I wont deal with fights a few times a week just to let them be a little freer at night. Their spats havent been anything bloody, one cut lip once so far, and are mostly noise it seems like but I do grab them and separate them before it can escalate, should I maybe not be doing that?
Back to top Go down

tips on a growing family?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1