It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

First Antler Chew

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 pm

The antler chew I ordered for Lycus finally came in. I have to say that I am very happy and so is Lycus. He absolutely loves it!! I wasn't too sure how he would feel about it so I got him a 4 inch antler, but now, I'm thinking about getting a larger one. I think it'll be great for him when he's crated during the day as he gets easily bored.

I'll upload pictures in his scrapbook sometime soon. I currently don't have my DSLR camera since I lent it out, and I think the iPhone's shutter speed is a bit too slow.

I'm very happy that this was such a success. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 12:18 am

I've been thinking about going the antler route with my girls to see if they like it. They absolutely love when I give them giant beef bones, and they are all big chewers.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 12:44 am

Antlers were my saving grace *.* I even have a few special ones I keep stored away and when the pups are being unruly or super energetic on rainy days, I pull out three of the antlers they haven't seen in a while and they all start chewing!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 12:47 am

I will just say be VERY careful and watch him with just a 4". I usually throw them away when they get down to 2-4. Once they get down too small, they can very easy to choke on.

I order mine from Montana Antler Chews and Dog Supply. They have some of the best antlers with amazing prices. HIGHLY Suggested!! They also run specials like..ALL the time. Recently, I got a 3 pack of 9" tines for only $40 and some odd cents.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
I will just say be VERY careful and watch him with just a 4". I usually throw them away when they get down to 2-4. Once they get down too small, they can very easy to choke on.

I order mine from Montana Antler Chews and Dog Supply. They have some of the best antlers with amazing prices. HIGHLY Suggested!! They also run specials like..ALL the time. Recently, I got a 3 pack of 9" tines for only $40 and some odd cents.

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to keep an eye on him.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 3:18 pm

I let Mishka sniff and nibble on a tine I got for him a while back. I'm sure he'll love them but I was waiting for him to get his adult teeth before I actually give it to him. Now that he's lost all his puppy teeth, I'm sure he'll be the happiest. Lol.

counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Our holistic vet was just telling me how bad these antler chews are. I've never given one, nor ever planned to, but I'm glad she broke it all down for me. We give the marrow bones to chew on and for teeth cleaning, but I was making the mistake of letting the dogs have the bones 24/7 and they've been chipping their teeth on them. Now I know to only give the bones for an hour or so, and only while supervised, then take them away and toss them. It's how Paw Paw broke off his molar requiring $1000 surgery, and now Nara has chipped the points of some molars. We were discussing ways to improve the dental health of my pups, and the antlers randomly came up as the vet was offering alternatives and said to stay away from the antlers. I guess they are equally damaging to the teeth. I would highly recommend clearing the antlers with your vet. $1000 dental surgeries are no fun, for the dog or my wallet.

Just hoping to help, so you can avoid what we had to go through.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 8:06 pm

I prefer moose antlers - they are soft and cut in half. WE use a variety of chews and have found the best are actually raw beef ribs. They are hollow and filled with marrow. Since they aren't weight bearing the dogs have no issues.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 am

counter wrote:
Our holistic vet was just telling me how bad these antler chews are. I've never given one, nor ever planned to, but I'm glad she broke it all down for me. We give the marrow bones to chew on and for teeth cleaning, but I was making the mistake of letting the dogs have the bones 24/7 and they've been chipping their teeth on them. Now I know to only give the bones for an hour or so, and only while supervised, then take them away and toss them. It's how Paw Paw broke off his molar requiring $1000 surgery, and now Nara has chipped the points of some molars. We were discussing ways to improve the dental health of my pups, and the antlers randomly came up as the vet was offering alternatives and said to stay away from the antlers. I guess they are equally damaging to the teeth. I would highly recommend clearing the antlers with your vet. $1000 dental surgeries are no fun, for the dog or my wallet.

Just hoping to help, so you can avoid what we had to go through.

Thanks for the info! I'll I had no idea. I will definitely start looking into the softer moose antlers that Megan talked about.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:08 am

Quote :
WE use a variety of chews and have found the best are actually raw beef ribs. They are hollow and filled with marrow. Since they aren't weight bearing the dogs have no issues.
I gave Karli beef ribs last week for dinner one night and she kept part of the bone and has been chewing on it throughout the rest of the week. It became her new favorite chew overnight!!! I haven't tried antlers yet because they all seemed so small and in my mind a chew is something that is gonna take a while. I could see Karli going through one of the small antlers in like ten minutes.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 12:42 pm

cinnamonbits wrote:
Quote :
WE use a variety of chews and have found the best are actually raw beef ribs. They are hollow and filled with marrow. Since they aren't weight bearing the dogs have no issues.
I gave Karli beef ribs last week for dinner one night and she kept part of the bone and has been chewing on it throughout the rest of the week. It became her new favorite chew overnight!!! I haven't tried antlers yet because they all seemed so small and in my mind a chew is something that is gonna take a while. I could see Karli going through one of the small antlers in like ten minutes.

That's why I usually get the large antlers. As its already been mentioned once they get down to 3-4 inches I throw em away so my pups don't choke on them, I usually order the bigger moose antlers.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 am

I'm going to bring back this thread for a couple questions if that's okay. Kenzi got her first bit of an antler the other day. Some friends of the in-laws own an elk ranch and they gave us a couple tips off a rack they had. Kenzi loved them way more than when I give her rib bones so I thought I might start getting them for her instead of the ribs, but I saw on a different thread that the ones you can get at places like petco and petsmart aren't the way to go and I was wondering why and what were quality places to get them instead? What should I look for in a quality antler? She will be on moose or elk antlers since she has tooth issues already.

Senior
Senior
simplify

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 12:20 pm

I've gotten mine from Montana Antler Chews on Facebook. They are very reasonably priced compared to the ones you will find in the pet stores anyway.

They have a lot of specials too and you just message them with what you would like to order and they will ship out and invoice you. Smile Very nice people to deal with.

simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Most of the antlers that are available at the pet stores are deer antlers and are way too hard for them to chew on. They're also way more expensive in the store. You're looking at paying $25+ for a 9in tine when you'd pay about $15 for one from a quality place.

Like I was buying some 8" splits for Mishka and they were 16.95 ea or 44.95 for a pack of 3. Which is a really good deal.

lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 3:40 pm

I just picked up the largest deer antler my pet store had it was 35 bucks. That was 2 weeks ago, and it is already gone, and yes, Ashleigh the SS one was gone in like 1 week and a half! She is a chewer, and I love that she loves them... It keeps her from destructive chewing, and it doesn't cut into her gums like the Nylabones started doing.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 3:41 pm

There is also ram horns I noticed... was wondering how those are.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 5:11 pm

I did notice they were really expensive at petco, hence why I had never bought them for her before. Her first were free. I will give montana antlers a try. Thanks.

First Antler Chew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Antler Chew   First Antler Chew Empty

Back to top Go down

First Antler Chew

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1