It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Chew Toy During the day?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bttlsgtmajor
Puppy
Puppy
bttlsgtmajor

Male Join date : 2013-01-24

Chew Toy During the day? Empty
PostSubject: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 11:09 am

Nanook is crate trained and when we leave him in the crate during the day we leave a couple of "plastic" (not sure what the material really is) bones and a plush toy. I've given him a rawhide bone and a small elk antler, but I haven't let him have those unsupervised (little paranoid he'll choke when I'm not there and I'd rather not come home to a dead puppy No ). I was wondering does anyone leave bones like the rawhides/antler in the crate with their puppy when they are gone or recommend it?
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 11:11 am

I do but now that you said something idk if i will anymore lol.. Haha
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 am

I would only leave something big enough that I know they couldn't coke on it or swallow it.

The only thing I used to leave in our crates was a half filled kong. If they get bored enough during the day they would just throw it around or chew on it empty.

Personally I would never leave rawhide.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 12:38 pm

How long are you keeping him in the crate during the day? It might be better to seclude him to one room where there isn't anything he can get into and provide him several toy options.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
bttlsgtmajor
Puppy
Puppy
bttlsgtmajor

Male Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 pm

On average (sadly) about 9 hrs. We're looking into getting someone to come by and walk him during the day and he does have a few options to choose from in regards to chews (including a stuffed Kong).
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm

I go with the stuffed kong- with frozen goodies inside to make it last a LITTLE longer, lol. And the antler. If the antler is big enough it shouldn't break apart. I don't give my dogs rawhide when I'm not here to supervise.. I've seen WAY too many surgeries for foreign objects at work! lol Smile
Back to top Go down
TreemanAndy
Newborn
Newborn
TreemanAndy

Male Join date : 2012-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 8:22 pm

I leave a bone in the crate with Roxy, but she's not a very aggressive chewer so I don't have to worry about her breaking off big pieces to chew on. Once you feel like you know your dogs chewing patterns and if he's not too aggressive I wouldn't be too worried.
Back to top Go down
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 12:26 am

I just leave a metal bowl in the crate with water, Bella surfs around in her crate all day. i will warn you that it is loud though.... like really really loud.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 3:58 am

I don't leave small chew things of any kind with my dogs while I am not home. I either buy digestible chew type things (NOT rawhide), BIG antlers (meaning too big to be able to swallow), or a frozen kong. I always leave a kong, filled or not. They will find ways to entertain themselves with most anything.

I personally wouldn't want to leave plush toys alone with my girls. Sheba likes to rip them apart, not always though. Very rarely in fact. Still, I wouldn't want to take the chance of her deciding then that she wanted to rip into it.

I also have a Nylabone toy that you put a treat in the middle and it has four holes in the sides that can be filled with water and frozen. I used it a lot when Sheba was teething, but she still loves it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:32 am

I used to leave one of those "Tuff" branded soft toys and a stuffed kong in the crate. I'd leave them in a specific posistion so I would know if she used either one. Though, Sky never really seemed to chew on them while I was away
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 am

I don't leave anything in Kale's crate when I do crate him (water of course). He doesn't touch them when he's in there anyway. Just sleeps. He could be in there for 8 hours and he'd sleep the entire time LOL
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Azurebluedolphin
Newborn
Newborn
Azurebluedolphin

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:29 am

Hypers87, so you crate Kale too? How long is he in at a time?

I leave Cash with his kong, a Nylabone, and a few squeaky toys (and his blankets). He doesn't pay much attention to any of them really but at least they are there.... he chews mostly on a rope and rawhide that he only gets supervised. I haven't been leaving water because he's only in there for a few hours at a time, maybe I should start.... I was afraid he'd spill it and didn't want him wet all while I was gone.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:48 am

I don't really anymore. He stays in the house now, leashed to the coffee table. I crate him outside when I do decide to put him out, usually when it's nice out. He is usually in there no longer then 4 hours at a time (combo locks to combat anyone wanting to dognap him). Usually 3 and a half hours. I wouldn't leave rawhides, but that's just me. I've already gone through an obstruction surgery with Kale (not from rawhide, but rawhide is still a risk). It was the worst day of my life. I don't like rawhides in general.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 4:41 am

I put a large antler in with all of mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chew Toy During the day?   Chew Toy During the day? Empty

Back to top Go down

Chew Toy During the day?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1