It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rental Fencing Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Rental Fencing Help Empty
PostSubject: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 5:11 pm

We rent a house with a large yard but it was unfenced and the landlord is very picky about putting up fences so we currently have a temporary chain fence that keeps Kenzi in for the most part but she definitely knows the gate is the weak spot. We have rigged the gate to the point where the electric meter reading guy can't even get in but she still finds a way out, so I bought a wireless fence as a back up. Not the dig in the ground and plant a wire kind. This system has a central hub and if she steps out of range it bites her until she comes back or up to 30 seconds, so there shouldn't be any of that running through it and being free after one hard nip like with the old systems. I want to know what you guys think, if it's a good back up plan? If anyone else has rented and had to deal with restrictive landlords before on the topic? Dog theft is a big deal where I'm from and keeping her in the back yard out of sight when we're gone is a must.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 4:27 pm

She made her second escape last night so re-rigging the gate again. I hope my landlord never comes over to check on us.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Is there a reason she can't be kept inside and not outside while you are gone? I've rented before and always used a tie out or walked my husky before I was able to have a fenced in yard. Keeping a dog outside (especially in an area where dog theft is high) is generally not a good idea.

Do you have a crate? Can't she be crate trained?

Rental Fencing Help Hailey10
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Would you just be able to crate her while you are gone rather than keeping her out there? Once a husky finds a point where they can escape, good luck trying to ever keep her from getting out. You don't want her to escape some day, get stolen, hit by a car or taken by animal control. You can find cheap crates on like craiglists, and just get her a kong and she will be happy. Dogs love their crates if you crate train them properly.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 5:45 pm

She hates, and I mean HATES, crates and would probably hurt herself if left alone in one. Small rooms get her antsy if the door is closed even if you're in there with her. I would leave her in the house if I could trust her to not eat my wooden furniture but I am working with her on that in small spurts. I have toys that I can hide food in but she will get disinterested and give up if it takes her too long to get the stuff out. Toys and bones are pretty much only a concern of hers if someone makes it a concern.

Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 6:01 pm

She could also really hurt herself, if she is left alone in the back yard and is getting out of the fenced area. Huskies really are very creative and if she isn't supervised in the yard, I don't know if you will be able to find a method to really keep her in there, unless you are able to buy a run and put a top on it. Plus, is it hot where you live?  A lot of exercise before you put them in the crate is also a good thing, so she will be so tired that she doesn't even mind it, and if you can keep working with her to not chew the wooden things in your house, with enough exercise before (and some small days of practice), you could leave her out in your house when you aren't there. The crates have saved my house, and my boys really do love it, as long as you make it a nice happy place to be. Or another alternative could be, buy a baby gate, and really husky proof a room in your house. I copied some advice from the sticky on crate training, if you want to go that way and maybe this could help you guys.

"For most of us, crate training saved our relationship with our huskies. Huskies are notorious for being destructive when left alone or bored. Crate training can help keep a happy husky and a happy owner Smile It's best to start when they are young, but older dogs can be taught as well. This thread will offer some tips and tricks to crate training.

Before you start
1. Create a positive association with the crate. This is the number one rule. The crate should NEVER be used as punishment. This thread will offer several ways to help you create that positive vibe, but it's important to remember that the crate is your dog's safe space. He should feel comfortable enough to go in there to sleep during the day or take his treats in to enjoy in peace.

2. Ways to create positive association.
-Feed your dog in the crate. Meal times in the crate can help to teach your dog that all good things happen in the crate.
-Leave treats in the crate randomly throughout the day for your dog to find. This will encourage your dog to go in and check the crate voluntarily without being asked.
-Save HIGH VALUE treats for inside the crate only. Things like marrow bones, peanut butter kongs, or anything your dog considers high value. Only using these treats when your dog needs to spend a few hours in the crate will help keep her calm during crate time.

When your dog is in the crate
3. Ignore cries and whines. Don't teach your dog that whining will be responded to. Only give your dog attention in the crate when he's quiet.

4. Desensitize your dog to your leaving. Try leaving your dog in the crate for 5, 10, 20 minute intervals randomly throughout the day while you are still in the house. Always practice good crate manners (ie- ignore your dog when he whines).

Letting your dog out
5. Don't let your dog out when he's whining. Even if your dog is non-stop crying, wait for the tiniest break in her temper tantrum to let her out. Do so with praise. If your dog is older and responds well to commands, try making her sit or lay down before you open the crate.

Calming your puppy or anxious dog down
6. Create a calming environment. Occasionally, all your positive associations may not be enough, especially with a puppy who is just starting out. Here are some tips that will help sooth your dog inside the crate:
-Try putting a blanket or cover over the crate to make it more den-like.
-Leave an old t-shirt or blanket that smells like you in with your dog. (Use caution: some huskies will destroy this item. If your dog rips it apart and/or tries to eat it, do not leave this item with your dog unattended until you can be sure that she won't rip it apart and ingest it.)
-Leave the television or radio on for your dog
-Refer to above (#2) about high value treats

Extreme measures
7. Reinforcing the crate. Huskies are escape artists. If they can, some will try to escape. You may need to reinforce certain crates with a lock or clip. This should ONLY be done if the crate is just simply not holding the dog. In cases of severe separation anxiety, this can make it worse, so please exercise caution!
8. Medical calming aids. Sometimes all these things are not enough. Dogs with severe separation anxiety may not calm enough to be trained properly. In such cases, when all of the above are attempted, you can purchase over the counter calming treats or incense to help relax your dog. Sometimes even these will not have an effect. In such extreme cases, consult your vet about using a medical aid. Clomicalm is a prescription medication that can be administered to help. They are also not a permanent fix, but designed to relax your dog enough to help him absorb the training. MAKE SURE that all other options have been exhausted, however, as medication should be a very last resort."
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 6:19 pm

I second crate training - I won't let my dogs out alone. Period. Dog theft for baiting is on the rise.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm going to continue to work with her on just staying in the house, especially for this summer. She has shade, a pool in the shade, and can get in the foundation of the house but I know it can still be a little toasty for her at times. I leave her in when I'm mowing the yard and she does fine, but she can see me out the windows. She seems to have attached to me more than my husband since even when he's home if I leave she sits at the door clawing and whining until she sees me come back. One step at a time.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 pm

I had this same issue with Delilah, but I got her a wire crate and she got used to it. It took a few days, but now its her den.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rental Fencing Help   Rental Fencing Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Rental Fencing Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1