It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

Female Join date : 2012-03-17

Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:17 pm

After April 27, we will be moving to New Jersey to be stationed at McGuire AFB. I've been looking and looking, trying to find somewhere that allows dogs and is within our housing allowance (1400).

I had the weirdest email, though, from what I had hoped was the 'one' (gorgeous apartment!).

"Our pet policy allows for dogs under 50lbs, of a non-aggressive breed, so we aren’t able to accommodate."

Are huskies now considered an aggressive breed? I sent him back an email asking about this. I was mildly put off by it.

But.. I digress. Are there any New Jersey husky owners that know of any two bedroom rentals that are pet friendly?
Back to top Go down
http://hybridhearts.tumblr.com
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Huskies are often on many insurance companies' banned breeds list because of bite statistics. Don't get me started, but those things are seriously biased. However, no matter how inaccurate we know them to be as owners, there is nothing that most rental companies can do to change that. They are at the will of the insurance companies. (Keep this in mind when looking for renter's insurance-- make sure the company goes by individual bite histories and not breed histories).

I would suggest searching craigslist for a local landlord and not a large company. If you're looking for a corporation, I would just start calling around and ask about their pet policies.

Further... are either of your dogs technically considered hybrids according to the state of New Jersey? I would check the laws... and I would ABSOLUTELY tell ALL landlords that you have husky mixes... NEVER let them know they are hybrids. You'll be HARD PRESSED to find an apartment that allows them.

Good luck in your search!

ETA: Not to get too personal, and I'm not sure how long you are stationed there, but at $1400/month, you could EASILY get a mortgage for UNDER that price.

Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:29 pm

I checked around and as far as I can tell, New Jersey doesn't have hybrid regulations.
Zephyr is one generation from being considered a dog, but I don't know what generation or percentage Titan is.
We were going to try and get on Base, but it seems that all the housing is unavailable. There are like... two houses. But those are for sale and we really don't know how long we'll be there.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Just never never never ever say you have a Hybrid, .............to the best of your knowledge its a Husky MUTT.

(That also means telling "best friends" he is a hybrid, friends can easily become enemies.)
Back to top Go down
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Oh yes. We learned that lesson when we got Zephyr.
But I think we've found an apartment. Oddly enough, the one that sent the email about huskies!

They have an on-site private dog park and a ton of amenities. I think we're going to try and apply tonight. It'll be an hour commute to our Base, but these apartments look totally worth it.

http://www.kormancherrywood.com/pages/video-tour.asp
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Hopefully that apartment works out for you guys. Just a heads up, there is a long list of banned breeds in base housing, hybrids being one of them (and pit bulls, my friend almost got kicked out of the base dog park here at Whiting Field for that). How long are your orders for? Tori raised a good point about buying, and you'd be amazed with what your BAH will get you around there. Take a look at the market and resale, and if you're going to be there for more than 3-4 years it's not a bad idea to buy. That way you won't have to worry about the whims of your landlords and worrying about rental policies. I'm actually kind of kicking myself for not buying down here, but I got burned by a crappy realtor in Oklahoma.

And to second what everyone else has said, don't tell *anyone* they're hybrids, as far as you're concerned they are Husky mixes.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
How long are your orders for? Tori raised a good point about buying, and you'd be amazed with what your BAH will get you around there. Take a look at the market and resale, and if you're going to be there for more than 3-4 years it's not a bad idea to buy. That way you won't have to worry about the whims of your landlords and worrying about rental policies. I'm actually kind of kicking myself for not buying down here, but I got burned by a crappy realtor in Oklahoma
And as a Realtor in NY, I'd be happy to refer you to someone who would NOT burn you Smile Just sayin...

Back to top Go down
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Koda wrote:
blueeyedghost wrote:
How long are your orders for? Tori raised a good point about buying, and you'd be amazed with what your BAH will get you around there. Take a look at the market and resale, and if you're going to be there for more than 3-4 years it's not a bad idea to buy. That way you won't have to worry about the whims of your landlords and worrying about rental policies. I'm actually kind of kicking myself for not buying down here, but I got burned by a crappy realtor in Oklahoma
And as a Realtor in NY, I'd be happy to refer you to someone who would NOT burn you Smile Just sayin...

That would be AWESOME, but we really don't know how long we'll be there. We know for sure 3 months, but we don't know if that's where they're keeping us or if they're sending us to California or England. We're pretty sure we'll be staying in NJ though. I'd love to buy (then I can't get in trouble when they destroy the yard)
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Eiw. That would drive me nuts, lol. I'd be someone's worst nightmare and bug them until they told me. This is why I would NOT make a good servicewoman, lol.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Yeah playing the orders game is really fun. I finally got my orders 6 weeks before my last move, and it was almost a disaster trying to get everything done. I knew I was moving, I just didn't know where until then, so it made house hunting a trip. That's a big reason why I didn't buy, and why I signed a lease sight unseen. I wouldn't recommend doing that one either. Our house is fine, the yard is great, but the neighborhood itself leaves quite a bit to be desired (we've called cops twice in less than a year, and allegedly there's a meth house or 2). What does your husband do for the Air Force?

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 8:53 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Yeah playing the orders game is really fun. I finally got my orders 6 weeks before my last move, and it was almost a disaster trying to get everything done. I knew I was moving, I just didn't know where until then, so it made house hunting a trip. That's a big reason why I didn't buy, and why I signed a lease sight unseen. I wouldn't recommend doing that one either. Our house is fine, the yard is great, but the neighborhood itself leaves quite a bit to be desired (we've called cops twice in less than a year, and allegedly there's a meth house or 2). What does your husband do for the Air Force?

Cody is a mechanic. He's working on KC-10s. So far we know that we'll be there for 3 months. We've found an apartment, I think. They have only breed restrictions and require a pet interview. I'm calling them tomorrow.
He's lived in.. unsavory.. neighborhoods before, but he knows that I'm a big chicken and want to know for sure that I'll be okay if he's working at night.
We have 3 and a half weeks til we go to New Jersey- JOY. I'm still trying to pack.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm not sure if this will help, but I posted this link in another thread, but it's of a wolf hybrid rescue group in NJ. If you're not able to find a pet-friendly place on you're own, maybe you could give them a call and they may know of a place that's pet-friendly. Smile
http://www.howlingwoods.org/
Back to top Go down
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Hayden_69 wrote:
I'm not sure if this will help, but I posted this link in another thread, but it's of a wolf hybrid rescue group in NJ. If you're not able to find a pet-friendly place on you're own, maybe you could give them a call and they may know of a place that's pet-friendly. Smile
http://www.howlingwoods.org/

Oh my gosh that's great! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 11:30 pm

I thought the only places you could be stationed for KC-10's are McGuire and Travis, which is in Fairfield, CA. Travis is actually a pretty nice area, I spent loads of time out there on my last tour. There's tons of stuff to do, but the cost of living is a little on the high side. I have a couple friends from flight school who are flying the 10's actually. Good luck with the move, and if you have any questions about how a military move works feel free to hit me up either here or Facebook. I've done 7 in the last 8 years... pale

Back to top Go down
KaiTheDog
Newborn
Newborn
KaiTheDog

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 2:10 am

I'm from the Columbus area just a little north of base. I'm not sure your budget but you could probably find a small house for rent in Columbus or Chesterfield areas. There are also a lot of apartment complexes in the Hamilton area which would be closer than the other complex.

I was in the pest control business for awhile and worked in the Hamilton area a lot so if you do think about an apartment there I'll see if I can find any info on bug problems at least.

If you have the budget this place looks to have a fenced back yard
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/32-Chesterfield-Rd_Columbus_NJ_08022_M68197-92245?rental=1&row=5
Back to top Go down
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 am

KaiTheDog wrote:
I'm from the Columbus area just a little north of base. I'm not sure your budget but you could probably find a small house for rent in Columbus or Chesterfield areas. There are also a lot of apartment complexes in the Hamilton area which would be closer than the other complex.

I was in the pest control business for awhile and worked in the Hamilton area a lot so if you do think about an apartment there I'll see if I can find any info on bug problems at least.

If you have the budget this place looks to have a fenced back yard
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/32-Chesterfield-Rd_Columbus_NJ_08022_M68197-92245?rental=1&row=5

Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ   Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Husky-Friendly Rental in NJ

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1