It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Low Fence on a Rental Property?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AnnieChan91
Newborn
Newborn
AnnieChan91

Female Join date : 2015-07-29

Low Fence on a Rental Property? Empty
PostSubject: Low Fence on a Rental Property?   Low Fence on a Rental Property? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi, all. As the title says, I'm looking to find a solution to keep Nya (currently 9 months old) from hopping the fence on a rental property. I'm currently in the search of a house with a fenced yard, and since I'm not planning to be in the state for more than a couple years, I don't really want to mess with buying a house.

The only problem with the fenced yards in these houses is that they are generally a standard 48 inches (4 feet) or shorter. Is there something I could do to prevent her from jumping over the fence when she sees a bird/squirrel/cat/etc.? I don't have a short fence to test her on right now, so I don't if she would actually try to escape. I only assume she would because, well, she's a husky.

I would love to have a yard for her to hang out in because she loves being outside, but I live in a townhouse that doesn't have a yard, much less a fenced one. I take her to the dog park frequently, and obviously the fences there are super tall. I know she can reach pretty high too by propping/leaning herself on the fence to get to a tree branch.

Basically, am I doomed if I don't have a taller fence?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Low Fence on a Rental Property?   Low Fence on a Rental Property? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 5:53 pm

You are not doomed. Some dogs don't care at all about how low a fence is. My girl can jump high but she has no desire to work as hard as it would take for her to climb over our 4 ft fence. Other dogs, younger dogs, are much more motivated. When it comes to rentals you have a couple options. You can get reed cloth and zip tie it to the chain link to give the illusion of the fence being taller and to make it so that Nya can't really see anything on the other side worth going after, or you can go the the pvc roller route where you mount pvc pipe to the top of the fence. This makes it where the rolling keeps her from getting a good hold on the top of the fence to pull herself on over.

Image I pulled off google to show concept.

Low Fence on a Rental Property? 7194cd8a06aadab9de97ba475dfb4db9

Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Low Fence on a Rental Property?   Low Fence on a Rental Property? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 6:29 pm

I never had a problem with my Huskies trying to jump a 3-foot and 4-foot fence. They were much more likely to dig under it. With my newest Husky, I don't leave him outside for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time, so he hasn't shown any interest in trying to get out of the fenced area.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Low Fence on a Rental Property?   Low Fence on a Rental Property? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 11:31 pm

So where we live, the fences are all limited to 48" or less, so we're about to have the same problem. Ghost thankfully is not a jumper, but Denali may. First off, they won't be left unattended. We live in the boonies and have the potential for rattlesnakes and other critters, so that's kind of a given anyway. Our second line of defense is that Denali has been trained with an E collar, so once our fence is finally installed, we are going to do some training with the collar so he understands the fence is off limits. If you do wind up going that route, make sure you work with a trainer who knows how to do E collar training, it can be done wrong.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Low Fence on a Rental Property? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low Fence on a Rental Property?   Low Fence on a Rental Property? Empty

Back to top Go down

Low Fence on a Rental Property?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1