It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help for a Friend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

Help for a Friend Empty
PostSubject: Help for a Friend   Help for a Friend EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 9:46 pm

okay, my friend has a Lhasa Apso/Shitzhu mix and she is an absolute BRAT. My friend is not inexperianced with dogs an this is her sisters dog that got given to her. We're looking for ways to calm her, she has looked into camomile but ASPCA ays its toxic most other places don't >.<. This dog is such a little brat she can't even be walked and is terrorizing the house. It is NOT a training issue, trust me.
Back to top Go down
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

Help for a Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for a Friend   Help for a Friend EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Why can't this dog be walked? I know that having an uncontrolled dog is embarrassing, but unless the dog is physically incapable of going on walks, i would seriously recommend starting with that. If the dog barks or does other embarrassing behaviors then perhaps take on a car ride and bring to somewhere remote where they can misbehave all they want but still get some exercise. The dog is small enough that it should be controllable.

There are alot of calming treats that have chamomile in them, so i doubt they are toxic, but they should definitely be monitored - there is only so much a small dog can handle before they get sick. But the calming treats are a really good start. Other peoples expertise on this topic would be appreciaed - but i have used the calming treats with minimal to no succes, but my mother has tried the calming treats with good success, so it also depends on the dog. They also have vapor plug-ins (like Glade "plug it in plug it in") that are supposed to help calm dogs. a little bit more on the expensive side, but supposedly work (but i haven't tried).

Have you tried the thundershirt or any other type calming shirts? They aren't a miracule cure-all but it definitely raises the threshold before the dog really starts to freak out. This i have tried, it impressed me.

Crate training? Kongs, elk/deer antlers, etc to keep her busy?

Is the dog friendly with other dogs? Maybe doggie daycare would be good. The dogs get exercised, alot of social interactions, mental stimulation, and you don't have to worry about them destroying the house when home.

Treadmill walking/running? extra training sessions.

While a well exercised dog will still be a brat, if you get rid of a bunch of pent up energy, it really helps get them to chill out. then you can simultaneously do training sessions and such.

Another thing that will really help is time. I know this sucks, but if this dog just started misbehaving when it got to your friend, then it could very well being the change in environment, new people, new routine, etc that is causing the dog to misbehave. Once a routine is set in place, it wil llikely get easier.
Back to top Go down
Flhuskylover
Puppy
Puppy
Flhuskylover

Help for a Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for a Friend   Help for a Friend EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Is it possible that this new dog is just anxious of it's new surrounding and is acting out? Maybe missing it's original owner and it's old home? Maybe to help calm it down, a quiet one on one time with it's new owner with your friend petting and brushing it and talking to it in a soothing voice may help.

Good luck with the pup!
Back to top Go down
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

Help for a Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for a Friend   Help for a Friend EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:00 am

Why can't she be walked? I would say exercise exercise and exercise....anything specific she's doing to be bratty
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Help for a Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for a Friend   Help for a Friend EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:15 pm

I know Brewer's Yeast is used to calm birds during a molt (it helps reduce stress) so maybe it'll help your friend's dog. I know my feed store here sells it for dogs.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Help for a Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for a Friend   Help for a Friend EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:29 pm

I agree with exercise. Wear the B out lol.
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

Help for a Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for a Friend   Help for a Friend EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 5:47 pm

She flips and nearly has heart attacks on walks >.<' My friend's trying to get her to calm down but this dog is such a little terror
Back to top Go down
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

Help for a Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for a Friend   Help for a Friend EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 5:51 pm

try the thundershirt on tthe walk and see if it helps her from freaking out. if its so extreme, i would ask the vet for mild sedatives.

try and get her used to walks. Put a leash on her and walk around house until she is okay. Then open the front door but still stay in hhouse. Then walk out front door then back in hhouse. Slowly build up a tolerance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help for a Friend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for a Friend   Help for a Friend Empty

Back to top Go down

Help for a Friend

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1