It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

todays rant: stop the littering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

todays rant: stop the littering Empty
PostSubject: todays rant: stop the littering   todays rant: stop the littering EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Does anyone else get bothered by litter on the street that dogs get attracted to. I feel like every day or every few days there is something else they are trying to grab that is a direct result of someone littering. I mean, there have been a couple of really funny instances. For example, i will look down at thor and be like, wait, how did you get a bagel? or when did you get a donut. But most of the time it is really annoying. I let my dogs sniff around, and enjoy the scents and the environment. And they will go into the grass or a bush and i will think they are just smelling something and they'll continue on the walk with this rewarding piece of food in their mouths. Now, they do know the command drop it, but when they have a philly cheesesteak, chocolate, or chicken wings in their mouths, they do not want to let it go and will chomp it down as quickly as possible. I am tired of them eating chicken bones and me worrying for a week until i know they are OK. Who in their right mind has the audacity to throw chicken bones out on the street.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: todays rant: stop the littering   todays rant: stop the littering EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:43 pm

Ditto, my neighborhood is horrible about this. I just had to really crack down on Yuki's drop it. At first I thought about muzzling her because the same happened to me, when it was something like a chicken wing she tried to swallow it as fast as she could. But what I ended up doing was I would physically stop the walk, take whatever is out of her mouth, and immediately go home. Since she was so small most the time I carried her back. She wasn't allowed to enjoy the walk if she didn't listen to my leave it or drop it command, which seemed to be the right method for her as now even with chicken bones she avoids them. Thankfully. Best of luck with your pup.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: todays rant: stop the littering   todays rant: stop the littering EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Yeah, it really bothers me too!
Same thing happens when I take the dogs for a walk. They'll both stop to smell something, and it usually is like a hamburger wrapper or a starbucks cup. I'll have to fight Karma to drop it. Kato usually listens to me when I tell him to drop it. But it is so annoying having to stop every 5 minutes to fight them on eating crap in the streets.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: todays rant: stop the littering   todays rant: stop the littering EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Yeah, this annoys me too. The other day Diz grabbed one of those silica gel packets that come inside purses or whatever to absorb moisture. Thank GOODNESS I was able to grab it before it went down the hatch. Most of the time, our walks are for walking and he doesn't get to stop and smell everything, but it happened to be near him while he was doing his business so he grabbed it. When I let him sniff and check stuff out, I don't take my eyes off his nose, because he is quick to grab anything. His 'off' command is pretty reliable, but every now and then he really wants something...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: todays rant: stop the littering   todays rant: stop the littering EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 2:08 pm

I took Kenzi to the drag races the other night and there's always litter there. It makes me so mad when I have to take a disgusting cigarette butt from her or chewing gum people are too lazy to throw away in a designated area. I'm going to start taking a tarp to lay out on the ground where we sit so she can't get to that stuff. I don't know why some people are such slobs. Most of those people don't just throw their paper coffee cup on the floor of their house or crush their cigarette butts on the tile in their kitchen, so why must they do these things on the pavement and grass of my earth.

Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: todays rant: stop the littering   todays rant: stop the littering EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 3:15 am

Ughhh me fifth! I am so sick of litter, entire mcdonalds bags with opened barbecue sauce packets, chicken bones, maxi pads, ketchup splattered on the sidewalk, trash dumped on the OUTSIDE of a garbage can - it's just filthy on the streets where we live. I can only fish 3/4 of the stuff he doesn't want to drop out of his mouth before he swallows it. I'm starting to think it's like a culture of the demographic around here to decorate the streets with refuse- my dad's gf actually discouraged me from picking up Caper's poop when he pottied by a tree on the sidewalk!!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: todays rant: stop the littering   todays rant: stop the littering EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 10:45 am

I had to really work on Karli's drop it/leave it commands because of this. There was one spot over by the dog park that someone had just tossed a bunch of chicken bones on the road and we had to walk past it to get to the dog park. Every time she would stop and try to pick up a piece, which I would have to make her drop almost immediately. They're gone now, whether due to weather or some other dog but its like "seriously people, come on now!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: todays rant: stop the littering   todays rant: stop the littering Empty

Back to top Go down

todays rant: stop the littering

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1