It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Does your husky run?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EAM927
Newborn
Newborn
EAM927

Female Join date : 2013-01-22

Does your husky run? Empty
PostSubject: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Not sure if this has been asked, but I was curious. Off leash, how many people's huskys don't run, and who's do?
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Mine doesn't necessarily run, but he doesn't listen when I call him to come back. His recall is not good and if someone runs behind him to get him, he will start running as wells.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Oh yeah. Kenzi runs like a dog on crack. Zoom down the road, then zoom back up the road and about six laps around the house until I either open the door to the car or the house and then she flies inside and is down for the count. Luckily she's only gotten loose at the house and not out in public. A door opening is what gets her back.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Does your husky run? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:41 pm

My intent was never to let her off leash to find out, but once she slipped her collar when she was young and she bolted. I could not get her to come for the life of me so I ran toward the house yelling "Evie, want a treat?" and she chased me in.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Maya and Kay will run, Sophie takes herself for a walk. xD That's when they accidentally get loose, i never let mine off leash unless they're in an enclosed dog park.
Back to top Go down
SkyPlusUs
Teenager
Teenager
SkyPlusUs

Female Join date : 2013-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Mine aren't let off but once Sky slipped her harness and she didn't run but kind of skipped off down the road to the park.

I wish we could find a big enclosed area so they could be let off to see what they'd do but until we find somewhere suitable they'll stay on the lead
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Link doesn't run as though he needs to just get away. He is a tracker, very hound like, and scents will lead him away. He's gotten out of my control while on leash twice, both times I grabbed a treat and squatted down like I struck gold and boom, there he was. I know better than to yell or chase.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 pm

TwisterII wrote:
Oh yeah. Kenzi runs like a dog on crack. Zoom down the road, then zoom back up the road and about six laps around the house until I either open the door to the car or the house and then she flies inside and is down for the count. Luckily she's only gotten loose at the house and not out in public. A door opening is what gets her back.
Maya slipped out of the truck on me at Wal-Mart one day. Never thought I'd get her back alive(stupid people racing through the lot) but I tried the same tactic, leave the door open and sure enough she hopped back in. Then I praised her like she was the best dog in the world! wanted to make sure coming back was a good thing!
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Mine runs about ten feet ahead but runs back. He's extremely good off leash. It's great! Plus he ends up doing twice the distance with all the running back lol.
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Caper doesn't bolt for the heck of it once off leash - he mostly sticks near me (being cautious with making it a secure setting though, because not sure how his behavior will change as he gets older). If we are playing and I get him going, he does his crazy fast run, but in wide circles & zig zags around me.

He is consistent on his recall as long as other non-human animals aren't involved but based on his reactions on leash, I'm sure that if he saw some animal or a dog he was really interested in he would take off without a second thought.
Back to top Go down
TartokTikaani94
Puppy
Puppy
TartokTikaani94

Female Join date : 2013-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 12:01 am

One time when mine was about 13 weeks old, the day after we brought her home I had her outside on the lead tied to the steps with my baby brother behind me as I was reaching in the jeep to get something. Well next thing I know my brother is tapping me saying ''sissy, doggie run doggie run''. At the time she didn't know her name so it was hopeless calling her. I ended up running after her threw town then getting help and we trapped her in someones back yard lol.

Another time this year she chewed threw her cable and ran off. After four hours I got her back but even when I stood there she thought I was playing and ran off.

Two other times she slipped the harness but she came back when I called her. When we go to the dog park and shes off lead she don't wanna come back when shes called but most the time she ends up coming to me to leave.

I'm now working on her recall training so if she ever gets off lead I can hopefully get her back.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 1:38 am

When I first brought my two home they kept getting loose, my brother didnt hook the cable to their collars the right way then the D rings ripped through the collars and again my brother kept leaving the door open, and I was sooooo thankful that I didnt seem to have what I thought of as the typical husky. They wouldnt go far maybe a few houses down and sit on someones porch. Now after having them for a few months....they run. Bella isnt so bad she still doesnt want to go far a usually if you yell her name she'll come back to look at you I just tell her'bye bye bella' and she'll run to the door. Jasper got loose once and as I tried to grab him Bella bolted past they wont come back if their together Jasper runs down the road and Bella follows hesitantly she stops for a second to look at you then walks towards him before running. I have to chase them with the car, I'm sure I look like a nut driving around with the windows down my door wide open and me hanging half out of the car yelling 'Lets go bella lets go jasper !!' and whistling till they run to get in the car.
Back to top Go down
Bane
Puppy
Puppy
Bane

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 2:08 am

Willow isn't so much a runner. She maybe runs about 10 feet ahead of me, stops and then runs back and sits by my feet. She is only three months old and is recently getting to the point she doesn't need "mom" like she used to.

Bane on the other hand...oh, Bane. He's gotten out of the front door twice. Once my mother in law kind of opened the door and let him go, luckily he ran to the leasing office (where I work and take him often) and sat by the door. The second time he ran out the front door he ran off back to the leasing office. He actually slipped his collar today and took off down the alley way of the two buildings we live in (not really an alley way, just a massive in between space between two buildings).

After trying to get him to come to me (treats, Willow and I playing with a rope toy, a squeaker toy, and then just sitting) I successfully tackled him to the grass in my office clothes, I was able to get his collar back on and wrestle him back into the house. The house door was open, but unfortunately the way the complex is set up he couldn't see the door was open to go back in. We've taught them both, "Huskies, home!" Willow runs (on lead of course!) to the front door and waits. I am hoping it works on Bane in the future and sticks with Willow!

Definitely getting a longer lead and working on recall here in the next week!
Back to top Go down
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

Male Join date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 8:35 am

Sure he runs, but I let him when we go hiking, biking, skiing, etc, but he never really runs out of sight unless he chases deer. Sometimes/rarely he is gone for 10 minutes before he comes flying back out of breath! This is when we are out in the woods of course, not on main street in town! Out in the woods my boy doesn't run away just because he can. He is a pack animal! His recall is good because I work at it all the time. It's not great when he is on to something but we have been working on that with a few tools and he is getting better with that.

That all being said, in the right situation, like if we were in town at the store, just knowing him, I am sure he would want to investigate everything but I don't plan on ever finding that out. I let him run in the wild, and keep him on a leash in town.
Back to top Go down
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

Female Join date : 2013-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Pongo is actually a sissy and won't run lol. He needs me by his side I guess. Even when we go to dog parks he comes back to the people more than runs with the other dogs. His lead in the back broke once and he walked around with a 2 ft piece hanging off his collar and acted like he was still attached Razz 
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 1:07 pm

I got extremely lucky two times.

The first time she was barely 4 months old, and it was winter time... The leash slipped out of my hands, and down the street she went. She stopped to go pee and I dived at the leash. *Phew* number one.

The second time she was about 7 months old, my friend, wanted to take Okami out while we were all going outside, and I didn't pay attention to how he clasped the leash onto the harness (kicking myself now) and he attached it to the not so sturdy I.D. Tag holder.... and the second she went out the door, "RIP!" But her intentions were pure, she ran right to the potty spot and I called her to come when she was done and she ran right up to me all excited... So I guess she might be one of those good off leash subjects, but considering I don't have a fence at all I am not willing to try, unless if I have a good trainer to give me advice on what to do.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Shaqua is now 11 years old and she will still run given the opportunity. She's just an explorer like her Momma. Ha ha. Now walking straight from the house to the Jeep and from the Jeep to the dog park gate is fine without a leash....but that has only been in the last two years. Then again I just didn't let her go without a leash anywhere until she was about 9 so maybe she would have been fine...but I would have rather been safe than sorry. I love that girl! Other than that leash and fence at all times!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does your husky run?   Does your husky run? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does your husky run?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1