It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice for a friend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

Female Join date : 2013-05-07

Advice for a friend Empty
PostSubject: Advice for a friend   Advice for a friend EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 12:56 pm

So I met another girl at the dog park a month ago with a husky about the same age as London. She didn't have your guys awesome support and advice, and went to a breeder her friend recommended (which I've seen on this site mentioned as a BYB) Her puppy is 5 months and and already has genetic hip dysplasia and Legg–Calvé–Perthes Disease, she said she doesn't even really have a hip at all. She's tried contacting the breeder whom of course won't contact her back and she's just devastated. Is there anything you guys recommend to help her holistic/ exercise wise. they've already replaces walks with swimming and now more hiking. I told her I'd ask my husky experts since you guys have never steered me wrong Wink
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend   Advice for a friend EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 4:23 pm

I didn't know what Legg-Calve-Perthese Disease is, so I had to look it up.

Disintegration of Hip Joint in Dogs

Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease involves spontaneous degeneration of the head on the femur bone, located in the dog's hind leg. This results in disintegration of the hip joint (coxofemoral) and bone and joint inflammation (osteoarthritis).

The exact cause of the condition is unknown, though blood supply issues to the femoral head are usually seen in dogs suffering from Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease. It is commonly seen in miniature, toy, and small-breed dogs, and has a genetic basis in Manchester terriers. Moreover, most dogs affected with Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease are five to eight months in age.

Symptom and Types

Lameness (gradual onset over two to three months)
Carrying of affected limb(s)
Pain when moving hip joint
Wasting of thigh muscles on affected limb(s)

Causes

The exact cause for Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease is unknown, though some researchers suggest it is related to blood supply issues to the head of the femur bone.

Diagnosis

Physical exam of hip and leg, and x-ray of the affected area will be taken, which should identify any changes in the femoral bone and joint. In the early stages of the disease, for example, widening of joint space, decreased bone density, and thickening of femoral bone neck are seen. In advanced cases, extreme deformation of femoral head, new bone formation in the affected area, and femoral neck fracture may also be seen.

Treatment

There are cases where rest as well as pain killers and cold packing help in treating the dog's lameness, though surgery -- to excise affected femur bone head and neck -- followed by vigorous exercise is often required. After surgery, your veterinarian will recommend physical therapy to rehabilitate the affected limb(s).

Living and Management

Regular exercise and physical therapy is important for the rehabilitation of the affected limb(s). Otherwise, it may result in delayed recovery and poor response to treatment. In some dogs, small lead weights are attached as ankle bracelets above hock joint to encourage early weight bearing.

Follow-up checkups are generally recommended every two weeks to ensure physiotherapy and exercises are working as desired. Overall recovery may take three to six months, thus patience is required. Dogs that are obese may undergo certain diet restrictions.

Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend   Advice for a friend EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Yes they're talking surgery in the future for her but just monitoring the gap in her joints closely my heart breaks for her luckily no pain yet.  Would glucosamine ect helpdo you think (not fix but slow progression maybe?)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend   Advice for a friend EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 3:20 am

I think it may be too late for glucosamine, but you certainly could try.

Who is the breeder if you don't mind me asking?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
amora
Teenager
Teenager
amora

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend   Advice for a friend EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 7:36 am

Snow angels huskies I talked to my friend who is a vet and luckily Florida has a very broad puppy lemon law!The definition of a pet dealer is explicitly written to include active hobby breeders. A pet dealer is defined as anyone who sells more than 2 litters or 20 dogs per year, whichever is greater.

Consumers have 14 days to document contagious or infectious disease and a full year to document congenital or hereditary defects. There is no penalty for failure to produce advertised registration papers.

The law provides for replacement plus reimbursement for veterinary expenses related to certifying the illness, up to the price of the dog.

If a dog is proven ill or defect, consumers may demand a refund or replacement plus reimbursement of veterinary expenses up to the price of the dog.

The state's tough law makes it potentially very expensive to sell ill or defective pets in Florida. Consider the scenario where a puppy is sold for $150 and has its hips evaluated within 1 year. The x-rays could run up to $150. If they turn up definite hip dysplasia, the seller may have to provide either a refund or replacement, plus cover the $150 for the x-rays.

It is the consumer's right to receive a certificate of veterinary inspection with each dog or cat purchased from a pet dealer. Such certificate shall list all vaccines and deworming medications administered to the animal and shall state that the animal has been examined by a Florida-licensed veterinarian who certifies that, to the best of the veterinarian's knowledge, the animal was found to have been healthy at the time of the veterinary examination.
The state attorney may bring an action to enjoin any violator from being a pet dealer. Violations are a first-degree misdemeanor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend   Advice for a friend Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice for a friend

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1