It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 4:26 pm

I've always loved Afghan Hounds, Ring 5 now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 4:31 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
From my understanding, they are still being judged against the breed standard. There is no perfect dog in any standard, so in a BIS, the winner is whoever is closest to their breed standard. In dog shows, the breed standard is never a moot point, it's the only point (technically, although I think politics play a role too).

Technically, I think you are right. My mom was told she had great dogs but if she really wanted to bring her dogs to champion, she would have to hire from a very select group of handlers and stop trying to handle the dogs herself. Very disappointed because she like being in the ring - was hired the "right" handler, she started bringing home the champions. Disappointing, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 4:31 pm

In one way that I have heard politics come in is how they weigh the standard. I heard this talking with a handler but some Judges will value one trait of the standard over the other. Such as the gate or legs or something.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Well that's just the judges' preferences, not politics. It would only be political if that preferential weight of one aspect of standard specifically favored one dog over another for some biased reason.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 4:37 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
I reckon swagger might come into play if the breed standard specifically calls for it.  Like the Husky specification of their gait.  

True, but many of the most successful huskies have gaits that are flashier and less efficient than the standard calls for because it looks good in the ring.

Amy, I've heard that too, but I've also seen some successful owner/handlers as well. It's sad its not always about the dogs.

Playing with the Big Dogs, yes in the end, it's a subjective decision on the part of the judge, but I don't see that as political. That seems more like preference.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
14 Ch Innisfree Chuck A Luck
Breed: Siberian Husky
Sex: Dog
AKC: WS 25018603
Date of Birth: November 05, 2007
Breeder: Innisfree Kennels & Anne & Brian Palmer
Sire: Ch Highlander's Go For Broke
Dam: Ch Innisfree Judy Kay
Owner: Innisfree Kennels & Anita Riley

5 Innisfree Vagabond Spirit At Wannahike
Breed: Siberian Husky
Sex: Dog
AKC: WS 32754901
Date of Birth: November 26, 2009
Breeder: Kathleen Kanzler
Sire: Ch Skrimshaw's Rebel Yell
Dam: Innisfree Black Rose
Owner: Deborah L Kreider

Layla has some Innisfree relatives on her dad's side, so I think I'll be paying the most attention to these two.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Link has a bunch too. Him and Layla might be closely related!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Haha, the judge just made his final go around of the Afghans and the one that yawned right in front of him won!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:07 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Link has a bunch too.  Him and Layla might be closely related!

Could be! Most of her Innisfree relatives are back farther in her pedigree (three and four generations back) but it's nice to think she and Link may be closely related in some way. Smile

seattlesibe wrote:
Haha, the judge just made his final go around of the Afghans and the one that yawned right in front of him won!

lol! I gotta start watching now.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Monkey Dogs, ring 3. so weird looking.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:14 pm

I was trying to guess what breed you were calling monkey dogs, and I guessed right! The brussels griffon. Very Happy My parents had a friend that resembled those dogs, they bought him a tee-shirt with one on it.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:16 pm

They are so similar looking to the Affenpinscher
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Oh wow! Maltese next. They are my guilty pleasure lol. I love to watch them gait, they look like cotton balls on wheels. I'm not a fan of their personalities though.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Aww, I love Affenpinschers. I call them little Wookiees.  tongue 
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:24 pm

I think for non-Huskies my favorite breeds based on looks are German Wirehaired Pointers, American English Coonhounds, English Pointers, Afghan Hounds, and Airedale Terriers.

I want a dog with a beard one day, probably a GWP once we live in the woods.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Coonhounds are hilarious, I've had the pleasure of knowing two blue tics and they are just a riot. Great personalities, quite loud though.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Good ole Southern dogs.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:31 pm

With descriptions such as, red bone, and blue tic, how could they not be?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Kong Fillers, Ring 2. Ick.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 5:47 am

I'm just catching up on the days events now (stupid time difference!) but I am loving watching the breeds Smile I adore the Briards obviously since there is one in my family, The bouviers remind me of oversized scotties and oh the chows! I love chows! I would never have one but I just melt at the site of a chow chow. The beagles with the way they kind of plod around make me giggle and the Afghans are stunningly different. Absolutely adored the wolfhounds as well Smile

I really hope I get to see the Siberians show tomorrow, Orion has quite a bit of Innisfree in his pedigree and shares dogs in his lineage with the two on show so I would love to see them even if they aren't main contenders.

Jeff, German Wirehaired pointers are hands down the most energetic dogs I have come across and I have met quite a few! They are popular here as gun dogs since they have phenomenal endurance as a working breed. There is a team of 6 of them run in my district dryland sledding club and they leave all the Siberians for absolute dust it is amazing I love watching them run they are just pure muscle, a stunning breed for sure.

Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 am

Jeff best in show is chosen using the time tested method of "one potato, two potato"  Razz 
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 11:09 am

Technically, BIS and Group placements are determined by comparing the BOB winners and determining which of those breeds are closest to their standards.

Honestly, it can go either way. Judging BIS is difficult because there is such a wide variety of dogs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 11:12 am

Why is there always a poodle in BIS? I feel like if you are in the non-sporting group you don't have much of a chance of being a group winner because the poodles always win. :-/
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Morning everyone. Just catching up.

The GWPs were way too early here, I missed them. Thanks for the heads up Jen.

Olivia, all noted! I would NEVER get one in the city, no way. That'll be my woodsu dog if ever.

Off for coffee and back home for the Huskies.....
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm

I'm getting butterflies in my tummy. Leonburgers!!! I want one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat   2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

2014 Westminster Dog Show Chat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next