It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Change in food attitude.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

Change in food attitude.  Empty
PostSubject: Change in food attitude.    Change in food attitude.  EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. As a puppy Simon was super food motivated even just for kibble or anything and kind of acted like a shark attack once time he got into the food when I wasn't looking and ate three days worth of food before I stopped him. That was not fun.
Now he is almost a year old and he still likes food but not with that crazy drive any more. I can't distract him from everything with any food anymore and he also is no longer such a shark attack but that might be training. He has sometimes not eaten all of his food and if he is excited he has turned down treats.

Just to clarify I am not worried about him in my other dog this is her normal behavior but I was wondering if anyone else had there husky change that much with how they treat food from puppy to adult.

Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
thealgomasnowpuppycave
Newborn
Newborn
thealgomasnowpuppycave

PostSubject: Re: Change in food attitude.    Change in food attitude.  EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Just like with people...every dog is different. I have some who would do anything for food, others who love certain toys, and two others who will do anything if they are sure that it will result in belly scritches.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Change in food attitude.    Change in food attitude.  EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 4:58 pm

right but have any of yours been super duper food motivated and then switch all the sudden they don't care that much. That's what I was saying and that's what I was asking.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Change in food attitude.    Change in food attitude.  EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 12:17 pm

Yeah, Diz went through a phase like that. It seemed to flip on almost overnight. It was very odd and I was kinda worried he was sick or something. I really just had to find better treats and other ways to reward him. That's about when I discovered stella and chewy's freeze dried dinners. They are like little burgers, but they are definitely high value and easy to break up. I even use the cat dinners, its essentially the same ingredients and they smell really fishy so he loves them.

Honestly though, 11 months is a challenging age and he's discovering that there are things that are more rewarding than food. I think your best strategy would be to try the stella and chewy's and try to limit things that are self-rewarding. Meaning, if you're trying to get his attention, and he's staring at other dogs, or something, don't let them approach, and don't let him play with them or whatever. If it's in daycare or the dog park, I'd grab him and give him a time out. Try to teach him that being stubborn doesn't get him what he wants, that his access to positive things is through you, not around you. Even if it's a split second where you call his name, if he looks at you, let him investigate whatever he was looking at. So if leaves are blowing around and he wants to chase them, say his name, if he looks at you then say 'okay' and run over to the leaves and let him play with them and you. Use whatever he fixates on as a reward. Smile Eventually, as he matures, when something stimulating happens, he will look to you. It's a great habit to cultivate because it ingrains his knee-jerk reaction is looking to you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Change in food attitude.    Change in food attitude.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Change in food attitude.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1