It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is My Puppy A Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am

As the owner of a very non-traditionally colored Siberian Husky - there is very little reason to jump straight to the conclusion that this puppy isn't actually a purebred Siberian (Simply because a dog is not bred to standard does not mean that it isn't purebred because it has a wide earset or big ears.  Bella is a good example of such).  Could this puppy very well be a mix? Of course.  Is it likely to be true especially if this puppy came from a less than reputable breeder? Maybe. Probably.  But not all things that look mixed are.  I can see in some pictures where Jeff got the herding/husky mix from and it very well could be true.

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 Bucket10
If we really wanted to get technical - Mechta (and most of her siblings) don't look like they'd be related if we went strictly on a color basis.

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 55803811
Here she's something close to 8 weeks - 6 or 7 I think.

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 Meech10
8 weeks on the way home.

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 Onyx10
This is Mectha's Sire - Onyx.  (Photo property of Debbie Premus of Boreayl Siberians)

Onyx is obviously a primarily solid Black and Mechta a solid red.  They exist.  They are purebred.
Mechta is never thought to be a Siberian Husky and a good friend of mine use to joke at shows that she is a Karelian Bear dog because of her solid color.

Another thing about colors and markings, especially blazes - is that they will give the illusion of a more narrow muzzle (and other kind of effects especially if the markings are not symmetrical.

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 10898010
We can even make Mechta look black Smile

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 10:58 am

As an aside - the solid colors and dark colors are pretty common in racing lines and kennels and should not actually be considered "rare".  To further add - looking at the site where the puppy was got from - the money is not in USD which would lead me to believe the poster is maybe (probably) not in the US.  Siberian Huskies overseas are vastly different than what we have and are used to in the states.

Back to top Go down
Adam93Doyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Niraya wrote:
As the owner of a very non-traditionally colored Siberian Husky - there is very little reason to jump straight to the conclusion that this puppy isn't actually a purebred Siberian (Simply because a dog is not bred to standard does not mean that it isn't purebred because it has a wide earset or big ears.  Bella is a good example of such).  Could this puppy very well be a mix? Of course.  Is it likely to be true especially if this puppy came from a less than reputable breeder? Maybe. Probably.  But not all things that look mixed are.  I can see in some pictures where Jeff got the herding/husky mix from and it very well could be true.

If we really wanted to get technical - Mechta (and most of her siblings) don't look like they'd be related if we went strictly on a color basis.

8 weeks on the way home.

This is Mectha's Sire - Onyx.  (Photo property of Debbie Premus of Boreayl Siberians)

Onyx is obviously a primarily solid Black and Mechta a solid red.  They exist.  They are purebred.
Mechta is never thought to be a Siberian Husky and a good friend of mine use to joke at shows that she is a Karelian Bear dog because of her solid color.

Another thing about colors and markings, especially blazes - is that they will give the illusion of a more narrow muzzle (and other kind of effects especially if the markings are not symmetrical.

Wow, thanks. I couldn't have asked for a better post. I now think it's quite possible she could be a Husky which if I'm completely honest, I do kinda want her to be. It's strange but the main reason I want her to be a Husky is because that's how she was advertised. I mean if you told me now that she 100% has no Husky in her I still wouldn't trade her for anything but yet I don't like the idea that they feel they got one over on me and it annoys me that they'd feel the need to lie about such a beautiful dog anyway.
Back to top Go down
Adam93Doyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Niraya wrote:

8 weeks on the way home.

Wow, thanks. I couldn't have asked for a better post. I now think it's quite possible she could be a Husky which if I'm completely honest, I do kinda want her to be. It's strange but the main reason I want her to be a Husky is because that's how she was advertised. I mean if you told me now that she 100% has no Husky in her I still wouldn't trade her for anything but yet I don't like the idea that they feel they got one over on me and it annoys me that they'd feel the need to lie about such a beautiful dog anyway.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 2:14 pm

You're quite welcome Smile

There are not nice people out there who will try to get one over on you but unfortunately without having seen the parents or having a pedigree to actually prove purebred you won't really ever know. As she gets older and matures it will become much easier to see different traits and in most cases easier to tell if a dog is mixed.

Back to top Go down
Adam93Doyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Niraya wrote:
You're quite welcome Smile  

There are not nice people out there who will try to get one over on you but unfortunately without having seen the parents or having a pedigree to actually prove purebred you won't really ever know. As she gets older and matures it will become much easier to see different traits and in most cases easier to tell if a dog is mixed.

I have another question if you don't mind. The one thing I thought she really lacked is the distinct brow of a Husky. I might be wrong but it seems to be developing now somewhat.....is this normal or even possible for that matter? Am I just wrongly attributing facial hair growth? Or is this a sign she was possibly neglected at the teat and didn't develop properly or at the right rate?

I appreciate any replies. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 2:27 pm

What mean "brow"? Like the markings?

Back to top Go down
Adam93Doyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 2:36 pm

[img]puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 Siberian-husky-profile_zps33c2f7c4[/img]

This is the most prominent I could find. If it's entirely a result of the markings that's news to me I always thought this to be one of their more distinctive features and a result of the shape of their face
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 2:40 pm

If you're talking about the white markings above the eyes it is just a facial marking.

Back to top Go down
caseysteffans
Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

Female Join date : 2014-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 3:06 pm

Adam, I know exactly how you feel. You want her to be a pure bred husky, which she may still be, for the fact you don't want to feel cheated. The breeder I bought Loki from advertised Siberian husky puppies but left out the fact the father was only half husky. I agree with Ceara, as she gets older her traits will be easier to recognize.
Back to top Go down
Adam93Doyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 3:09 pm

caseysteffans wrote:
Adam, I know exactly how you feel. You want her to be a pure bred husky, which she may still be, for the fact you don't want to feel cheated. The breeder I bought Loki from advertised Siberian husky puppies but left out the fact the father was only half husky. I agree with Ceara, as she gets older her traits will be easier to recognize.

Yes, Casey but even more than that I feel like they've slighted my pup, I mean so what If she's not a Purebred Husky. I'd rather them having proudly acknowledged her true breed, which may prove to be Husky and I might be getting worked up for nothing ha
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 4:52 pm

Niraya wrote:
As an aside - the solid colors and dark colors are pretty common in racing lines and kennels and should not actually be considered "rare".  To further add - looking at the site where the puppy was got from - the money is not in USD which would lead me to believe the poster is maybe (probably) not in the US.  Siberian Huskies overseas are vastly different than what we have and are used to in the states.

I'm guilty as charged of having the experience of a pretty narrow scope of what Huskies look like, firsthand.

I should be able to realize by now that not all Huskies look like the one laying on my couch right now, despite what is seen every year at Westminster.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Adam93Doyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 6:52 pm

More Pictures

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 <a href=puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 IMG_1459_zps6dbd7070" />

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 <a href=puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 IMG_1442_zpse4307878" />
Back to top Go down
Adam93Doyle
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 10:37 am

It's been a while since I posted some pictures so here is a little update of Nyx and Her new friend Aery's

puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 <a href=puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 IMG_0445_zps3464c33c" />

[img]puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 IMG_0423_zpse55a31ef[/img]

[img]puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 IMG_0426_zps1295c0b6[/img]

[img]puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 IMG_0439_zpse1b643d0[/img]

[img]puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 IMG_0436_zps007a23c0[/img]
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 12:31 pm

I once had a husky/border collie mix that looked a bunch like nyx. Very pretty dogs.

Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

Male Join date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 12:36 pm

He's so handsome! But, not full husky. Not that it matters, though. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is My Puppy A Husky?   puppy - Is My Puppy A Husky? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is My Puppy A Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2