It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
syne7
Newborn
Newborn

puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. Empty
PostSubject: Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.   puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 12:23 pm

Good morning,

I am looking for recommendations for breeders for our next puppy, which looking to bring into our home in about 2 years (I like to think ahead).

Here is what we are looking for in a female puppy (slight preference for grey color):

1.  A sound healthy puppy with good prospects to be a well socialized family member and "working dog".
2.  AKC Full Registration (no co-ownership)
3.  A show prospect puppy (I would the possibility to explore showing, but am certainly offering lifetime commitment to the pup)
4.  Pups bred for working drive (to be used for obedience, agility, nose work or whatever the dog takes to).

Location/distance is not an issue.  I will be happy to fly out to the pup and drive back or fly it home in arms create good initial experience for the pup and will take to the first two weeks off to bond with the pup and socialize.

I am very active with my dogs as you can see from the Facebook page for my current pup www.facebook.com/lokisibe

Thank in advance for any advice and recommendations

I am happy to receive the information in a private message. My apologies I do not mean to violate the rules of the discussion board. Just looking to take advantage of experience of the members.

Jason
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.   puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 1:14 pm

If you are new to the show world, you may be hard pressed to get a show quality pup with full registration not on a co-own. Responsible breeders can be very protective of their progeny and lines. Not saying there aren't any out there but it may be difficult.

@HuskyMom09 may be able to help you more if you are looking for working drive/show lines.

syne7
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.   puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Thank you for the info. I understand there are some idiosyncrasies around that. I find the whole "co-own" thing weird and scary. Especially since people often charge more for limited vs. full registration, and even more for potential "show" pup.

Not sure that I would like showing, but would like to try it and see if I can put a CH on a dog.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.   puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 3:02 pm

From a breeder you will pay for show quality which will include full registration. You cannot buy a "show quality" pup from someone who does not show their dogs as they tend to have no idea what true confirmation is.

I can see it being scary as it's a whole new step in a direction you've never ventured before, but a breeder will form a relationship with you and guide you if you want to show. Most breeders are not going to take your dog away or any such thing as that.

I'm sure there are a few people here who have dogs on a co-own or show and have those relationships with their breeders and will hopefully chime in.

Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.   puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 8:52 pm

My red girl is on a co-owner but that is by my choice, not the breeders. That was done in the case that anything ever happens to me there is no discrepancies about where the dog will go.

My best advice is to go to shca.org and run down the list of breeders on that site first. Research pedigrees and breeders,  send out emails , stalk websites, etc. If one breeder doesn't have what you're looking for they can often times refer you to one who might or point you inyou in the right direction.

puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.   puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 12:06 pm

Niraya wrote:

My best advice is to go to shca.org and run down the list of breeders on that site first. Research pedigrees and breeders,  send out emails , stalk websites, etc. If one breeder doesn't have what you're looking for they can often times refer you to one who might or point you inyou in the right direction.

This is really solid advice. If the breeder doesn't show up on the parent club's site then that's a huge potential red flag in my opinion. Especially if you're looking for a show quality dog from a reputable breeder. The only thing I would really add to this is be prepared to negotiate with multiple breeders. A lot of them only communicate in very specific ways (i.e will only talk to you through phone calls or face to face interrogations discussions Razz ). So if you're more of an email person like me, it shouldn't be surprising if they don't always respond. Early communication is also a good idea so that you can build up a relationship with the breeder. This way the breeder will probably remain in contact with you longer; which is great source of information if you ever have any questions or concerns.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.   puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Unfortunately I'm going to echo what others have already said. It is highly unlikely you will be able to obtain a female on full rights without a co-ownership from any reputable breeder on your first attempt. Especially if your current male is intact. Most reputable breeders want to establish a relationship with you and have you prove yourself before handing over lines they've worked hard to establish and maintain. I'd suggest, however, starting with the breeder referral list on the SHCA's website and start looking at those breeders' websites/facebook pages and start figuring out what lines would suit your personal goals and start contacting those breeders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.   puppy - Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy. Empty

Back to top Go down

Recommendation for Breeder for new puppy.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1