It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 12:00 am

As a kid, I was sometimes told that I had a very thin skin - I'd get pissy at the drop of a hat ...
Now I'm a bit older and I have very thin skin ... Avalanche will jump on my lap (front paws) and sometimes hits my arm instead ... sharp claws, thin skin, instant blood! (and I know that he doesn't intend to draw blood, and it doesn't really hurt but sheesh, I've got so much blood to spare!)

Hope that hand heals up quickly ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 3:40 am

Oh heaven's no Jimmy. I wanted to make sure
You weren't thinking Kohdi was getting aggressive!!!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 12:22 pm

The antibiotic is helping.  Less red, less heat and less sore.  More swelling.  Apparently, I not only have cellulitis but lymphangitis...and did you know there is a lymph node on the outer side of the elbow. Epo something.  Which thankfully is not involved.  I knew something was up when I showed him the hand and lower arm and he made me take my shirt off outside, lifted my arm and started palpating everything.

Weird.  The wound itself looks fine.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Thank you Amy! I may let Kohdi get away with murder but I'm not lying when I say he is really one of the best behaved huskies ever. Like any husky, he just gets too excited sometimes.

Hope your hand gets better!!!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Aug 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Glad to hear that your hand is feeling better. I'm not sure about having a doctor in the family, it's either a good thing or it would drive me up a wall ... "Here, let me take a look at that!"

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 8:06 pm

We did it!!!

Traveled 6 hours in the PawRunner with Z'ev tethered in the back separated by Ami behind the front seats. Z'ev was a champ. As was Ami. One very funny moment...Z'ev got excited about something, forgot what, and started to try and climb over the stuff separating him and Ami, Ami sat up, gave one firm "Ruff" and Z'ev promptly lay back down followed by Ami who went back to sleep.

I've got too much crap to do but will later post how great everything went with the 2 dogs.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Sep 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Aw, Amy, that bear was just thinking about lunch .... okay, that was form the other thread, sorry.

Dog to dog:
Ami: "What's your problem, behave!"
Z'ev: "Oops, right, ma'am!!"

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 1:00 pm

So I promised a more detailed report of Z'ev and his progress.

As most of you know, I was really anxious about getting the two dogs in the car together - fortunately, camping, whether 2 nights or 20, requires lots of equipment. The PawRunner has a cargo cover that mounts just under the windows and a roller shade like thing that pulls out. I didn't use the shade thing but left the whole thing in place and packed the two camp chairs, tent and pillows underneath, covered the whole thing with a moving blanket that protects the bottom of the tent from Ami's nails, then leaned Z'ev's crate against the whole mess leaving enough room over the top for rear view mirror visibility. Essentially, it formed a crate for Z'ev. I then used a harness on Z'ev and tethered him to the rear cargo hold-down. With this set-up, he traveled beautifully...until we stopped and when I opened the rear hatch, he bolted out and suspended himself hanging from the tether. Took both Wayne and I supporting him, to find the snap buried under his belly to rescue the poor pup...which he patiently allowed us to do. No snapping, growling...just a worried expression while we untangled him.

That's the travel news. What was really so wonderful was how the two walked together, we met my sister with her little terrier mix ball of wool and he just sniffed noses. While we were cooking in the pavilion, the two dogs spontaneously lay about 2 ft away from each other and went to sleep. At the campfire, Z'ev curled up on one side of my chair and Ami stretched out behind. On walks, the tangled their leashes, bumped into each other and often walked side by side brushing shoulders, bumping butts. Very occasionally, while tethered to the picnic table, if Ami would come a bit too close, Z'ev would give a low warning growl, nothing significant and Ami would back away.

At home, Z'ev wants to guard the water bowls...I have one for him and one for Ami about 10 ft apart in the kitchen. When we got home, Ami went immediately to his water bowl, Z'ev started to lunge, all I needed was a verbal "eh eh" and a step on the leash and he immediately stepped back and went to his mat. That is HUGE.

Last night, both dogs were quietly sleeping, Wayne had gone up to the garage, came back and rang the doorbell. Both dogs leaped up, ran to the door, side by side, tails wagging...my jaw dropped, Wayne's eyes were huge. I had grabbed the remote but nothing was needed.

And, finally...there have been several occasions in the last few days where I got Ami leashed up and attached to my waist, approached Z'ev and he greeted us with "woo woo woo" and once, even, when both were tethered, Ami was a-woo'in about something and Z'ev returned the "woo"

I am thrilled.

Now...if he would just stop with the biting. Knock on wood, the hand is healed. I finished the antibiotic yesterday, Wayne examined the hand and all the downstream lymph nodes, everything appears fine.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Camping is a bonding experience. Get everyone out in the world and off each others 'territory' where the new is more interesting than old spats and the status quo and amazing things can happen. Glad it all went well and no set backs to be had. If anything you got more movement forward. Good call on taking them.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 pm

There is light at the end of this tunnel! Everything sounds great! Maybe just some changes in scenery once in awhile can speed up the process a bit. So glad you took this trip with them and that everything went so well Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Z'ev is slowly showing interest in playing with the big boys. Once this past summer, he ran for a minute or two with Ami, in the past month he has gone from briefly darting into a roiling mass of Ami and Archer and back out to hide behind me to talking at the the two...sort of a "watch out, you'll get hurt, you're making too much noise, stop that" to anxiously trotting along side them on our morning walk about.

Yesterday, my niece filmed a bit of a milestone:

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 10:47 pm

Awww, that video is awesome! Gave me a huge smile seeing him participate like that!
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptySun Nov 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Wow, Amy, after reading this entire thread, your love and persistence is inspiring to me. Just amaz d by what you are doing with Z'ev.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyThu Nov 30, 2017 9:23 pm

wow that is awesome, it so beautiful video a his milestone.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Z'ev now gets a bone every night like Ami   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 11:12 pm

. But only after Ami goes outside with his!

And we can now even walk by him to use the little bathroom🥰

Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 20210310
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 12:00 am

So cute
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 2:11 pm

Not getting attacked just for walking by really is a great feeling.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 5:21 pm

Really relate to that as Sasha was so possessive of her food early on that I'd put it down for her and then get out of the way just in case she decided I was a danger.

It's nice to be able to walk by and even take her dish if I need to NOW!

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 pm

One of our tibetan mastiffs i had as a kid was really bad about anyone going near her for the first 2 years we had her. She was a rescue from a dog market in china. My dad then smuggled her from china to nepal and imported her from nepal. She had issues with adults but loved children. Without going into things she attacked my dad several times when he was drunk and walked into me and my sister's room. She was a good dog.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 9:46 pm

TwisterII wrote:
Not getting attacked just for walking by really is a great feeling.

Yes, 'tis🥰 our only issue at this point is mostly with Ami and doors. And the water bowl. As far as the bones go, of ammo gives a great loud "woof" Z'ev slinks away. But, Ami has a very sweet, open, trusting temperament, and I do NOT want to disturb that. And I cannot predict Z'ev sometimes. So unless Z'ev is alone with us in the house, he wears his mask.

And @aljones? Nope. Not taking a bone or for dish away from that boy. Though, these days, I can walk up and as something to a bowl he's actively eating from. And, of he can't get something in a pan with his mask on, I can say you want help and take the dish and make the food accessible. So that's something.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2021 1:44 am

Not many here these days know Z'ev's history. But for those that do - Z'ev has graduated to no muzzle when it's just family (without Archer. That is one step I'm not ready to take!)

Z'ev and Ami have become pals finally. They go outside together, Z'ev even initiates play in a cute little dainty sort of way. He hops on three legs, drops his head and paws at Ami with one front leg. But, he's becoming a bit frail these days, with his arthritis, rather unsteady in his hind end when the surface is slippery. So play doesn't last long and, though Ami has certainly adjusted his intensity level to accommodate Z'ev, sometimes the little guy still goes sailing through the air. But he's a trooper, picks himself up shakes it of and trots on his way.

I even feed the two side by side, sometimes even touching. And when they're done each will go to the other's bowl to verify that it is truly empty 😂

He's still a major Mama's boy, Velcro is his modus operandi. But he now has a conundrum. You see, he has also become a daddy's boy and when we're in separate rooms, poor little guy short circuits. Paces back and forth between rooms, usually culminating in vocal demands to one or the other of us, we assume he's telling us to stay together in one place😂

Who would have thunk it after all this time 🥰
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2021 3:38 pm

@amymeme, are you STILL fostering that brat?? LOL

Okay, I know better but it's so good to hear that you've made such major headway with since you brought him home to foster 6 years ago! It makes me sad that just as we have our successes that nature and age start to come into play... and I'll leave that at that.

I had to laugh at your description of "two sided velcro" that must be interesting.

You've done such a great job with him! Well deserved praise ...

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptySat Nov 13, 2021 6:59 pm

Al, very much at the fortress front these days is Z'ev's mortality. Aside from weakness/frailty from the arthritis, he still has the spark and spunk of a much younger dog. For now half a carprofen once a day seems to keep him content. Once in a while, hell get the other half in the evening. I gauge what he needs by how carefully he lies down - he sort of ratchets himself down in increments using his front legs. If he's really slow with that, I'll give home the other half of his pill.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 EmptyMon Nov 15, 2021 10:54 am

Kye has been on pred forever now and I think that keeps his hip issues a little at bay but I believe we are coming closer to the time when we will need to start putting him on pain meds. He is struggling to get down the back stairs. Been debating on taking him in for another set of xrays to see how the dysplasia has progressed. At almost 9 years old he's doing alright considering the type of HD he has and his size. I fear though we are going to lose him and Kenzi pretty close together with how his hip issues are progressing and that is going to be pretty rough to deal with.

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8