It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2017 4:35 am

Just about the same size - 43.4 pounds. That's 43.4 pounds of mischief, btw. With a healthy sprinkle of reactiveness. In some ways, he's a scaredy cat. If we take a new walking route, he's less confident, kind of leans into my leg, watchful in an anxious sort of way.

But tonight on last call for pee...he made a snow angel! I take that as he's becoming more relaxed.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks for the info Dave. I wonder if I'm feeding Ami too little? he gets 2.25 cups divided.

Oi, the persnickety peanut...patience wears thin. Yesterday trying to take off his prong collar and today with the #$$%^^ little bulldog down the street, I've had to use serious prong correction. As in holding puppy (make that alligator) at arm's length and up in the air (well, back feet touching) to protect myself and that friggin' little ankle biter Evil or Very Mad

And the whole eye contact thing...that boy has a stubborn streak from here to China and back. But, so do I...he waits. And waits. And waits. Looks down. Looks to the side. Lays down. But he doesn't get a single piece until he makes eye contact.

Since he knows sit so well (it has become my safety command for early interruption of fixation) and he know "down" but for some reason does not want to comply, he knows wait and is good with that (unless there is food around at which point its "wait?" Watch ME!!! Rolling Eyes ) I'm thinking of going to the ecollar to try and redirect his focus. He has the most incredible, turn out the world, focus on the target stare of any dog except for the one who tore my leg apart many many many moons ago.

So far, I, knock on wood, think I've got my crate fortified temporarily. Just takes me 10 years to get to the door to open and ditto to close up.

Archer is here and very territorial. Ami desperately wants to play. Little peanut is curious from a distance but no way there will be any contact at this point.

Ok. Rant over for the day.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Used the ecollar with him yesterday with decent results. We walked in a different direction, past a house where the lady shows Great Pyrenees. They are well fenced but they bark. And Z'ev was highly concerned about the barking. I wanted to keep going at the same pace as if nothing different was occurring. I found that, just as he turned his head to look, a light buzz of the vibrate setting broke his fixation, he turned his head back and proceeded to trot beside me. Until we had to repeat again.

And...this morning I got a clue on how to begin to address the food thing. I am now hand feeding part of his ration in the crate working on eye contact (breaks my heart, his initial shy, hesitant glance at my face). Then, my practice is to pour the rest through the crate bars and he hunts for the pieces as I snap all the barriers in place (remember the scene of Hannibal Lechter being contained?) Well, today I spilled a good dozen or more just in front of the crate...right in front of his nose. Now, I had just finished feeding this boy piece by piece by hand and he takes the food oh so gently. Well, I reach down, fortunately crate bars intact, and as I pick up a piece, Cujo makes his appearance. I continued to pick it up (praying that the crate will hold lol! and then I hold the piece until he goes from Cujo, to grumbling adolescent to whining toddler to settled quiet boy making eye contact. Bingo...it occurs to me, I can put the ecollar on him, sprinkle some kibble just in front of the crate, and hand feed from there...using the collar to interrupt the Cujo sequence (either very low stim or vibrate, haven't decided which yet).

Then, after everything is locked up, his kibble is gone, he's settled...he gets a third of a string cheese, pulled apart into 4 lengths, each piece broken into kibble sized nuggets. Individually fed. Boy does this boy love his cheese. Fortunately this whole ritual makes him dash into the crate when I take off the collar. But, he does sit for it now.

My only problem crate wise at the moment is getting him a constant source of water. I tried a crate bowl that attaches to the bars with a clamp...he undid that pronto, slept in a wet crate that night Sad So the next day, I tried a regular weighted bowl in the corner. He dumped that and the bowl was in the opposite corner so once again, slept in a wet crate Sad For now, I bring a bowl out with me, fill it with water and that's what he goes to immediately when the crate door is open. I don't like the idea of no free access to water, just scheduled water breaks. But in this cold, I cannot have him in wet bedding.

So - any ideas for crate watering that stand up to rambunctious, creative husky?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Amy, my girls have access to water 24/7, however at the end of the night they have about a 1/4 filled bowl, neither are drinkers at night, they both sleep a solid 6-8 hours, and no need for water. Since his hydration issues should be rectified, I would make sure her has a good drink prior to bed time and have water available as soon as you let him out he will be fine. The only way that i would suspect an issue with hydration is if he has to go more than 8 hours without water. You could also give him some type of treat, raw meaty bone, kong filled with pumpkin and or yogurt, which would also contain liquid, however, some like my Sofie wants water afterwards, so that is something you would have to know about him in particular. But I truly believe over all 8 hours is fine, he will be sleeping and no need for water, as long as he has access the other 16 hours of his day.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Totally forgot, but you could try ice cubes? my mom gave our gsd ice cubes because he loved crunching on them, but a couple in his crate at bedtime, wouldn't make his bed completely wet, and he could still have some hydro????? Of course that would depend on him being safe with them, that he licks or chews them up and not try and swallow them whole. Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Renee - its not just night time. He's crated 24/7 except for walks on leash. You may not remember but this boy is food and dog aggressive - the only treats he gets in the crate are things I can feed him through the wires and will be gone. (Notice the reference to Cujo) At present, I bring him a water bowl, he gets out of crate, goes right to the water bowl, has a good drink, then to the man-door to the shop, sits gets his prong and leash on then we walk. We do this 3-5 times a day (sometimes at night, he looks at me from his little husky curl...WTF lady, its the middle of the night. He's in a strict training regimen at the moment.

I'm considering a slip lead for exiting crate, possibly a muzzle...
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Sorry, then I would only have a blanket in with him at the end of the night, those 6-8 hours he's sleeping, and keep the water like half full, at least that way he has his water all day, but can not get his bedding wet. Good luck, he is gorgeous, but seems to be a happy handful. Smile
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 am

I know in pet stores (I know, bad bad) they use those bottles that hang upside down and the puppies get water, but it's probly more a trickle so not sure it'd work for a grown dog, but maybe someone sells something similar?!!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 9:51 am

Jimmy - I just saw those at Walmart and I think I'm about ready to try them. Funny - the Humane Society pages recommend no food OR water in the crate. Wayne is furious that Z'ev does not have water in there, only when he comes out. Z'ev does get a good long drink first thing out of the crate most times - its always offered but occasionally he just take a a few sips. But, since he's pee'ing just fine, volume and color look good, I'm not particularly worried.
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

Male Join date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 am

Wolf has free roam of the house, but I crate Ziva while I'm not there. She has no food or water in the crate, but this summer I'll probably have to figure something out since the house will be warmer. I keep it pretty cold in the winter. All she gets is the plastic floor, since she tends to shred and eat things. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 5:03 pm

I know this is a couple days late but when we are in training mode and using a crate a lot we do not leave water in the crate. Like you, they get water when they come out and have the opportunity to drink both when they come out and before going back in (and as needed in between). Nothing wrong with it so long as they get enough to drink and it sounds like he is.

I wouldn't do the inverted water bottle. They tend to slowly drip and will eventually lead to wet bedding. There are styles that don't leak but I've only seen those made for rodents which will not work properly for a dog due to the design of the spout.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Good to know! Just on the way to buy one so now I won't!

Picked up a slip lead and a Baskerville ultra muzzle yesterday. Slip lead works great, have to practise with the muzzle first.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 12:31 pm

So - I've used the slip lead to come out of the crate all day yesterday and this morning. Gives me the ability to train the "sit as he exits the crate" and then he can go to his water dish, I have leash in hand and he can't go running all over the shop, searching nooks and crannies for critters, jumping up on the work bench, pee/poop behind the car and play bow for 3 minutes while I stand, waiting, with his prong collar and leash for outdoors.

Today, I start muzzle training. So I can safely start the food aggression desensitization/counter conditioning. We've made progress feeding in the crate - actually getting some real eye contact. Though, its just a bare glance - giving Ami his midnight snack last night, I fully realized how much of a complete, mutual, contact is being made - Ami gazes on my face. Z'ev most of the time briefly raises his eyelids to catch a glance, occasionally lifts his whole head for a quick glance. The thing with him is mostly, I think, an intense focus on where the food is, I have yet to decide whether this is a huge dominance thing or just an intense prey drive. With total lack of impulse control.

But, the good news, I can now drop pieces of kibble right next to the crate and pick them up without any lunging or growling. Sometimes some archetypal Husky back talk more complaining than threatening, but that's about it.

Any suggestions re training are more than welcome. This is a huge undertaking and I'm often discouraged at the slowness of the progress.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Sounds like you're making good progress. I've only owned 4 dogs of my own in my lifetime (and helped rehabilitate/train some other family members' dogs) and all have presented their own unique challenges. And each takes their own varying amount of time. And yes, the slower ones can be a little more frustrating as we like to see faster progress but in the long run I find them to be the ones who hold a stronger bond and most rewarding when we do reach the point we want to get them to. Keep up the good work, Amy!

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks, Val. I need the encouragement at the moment. Between the sleep schedule change and now the cat...she used to have the shop - she sort of took up residence here about 12 years ago, was my neighbors cat but terrorized and taunted their dogs so got booted to the barn. We had no dogs at that time so she decided to live here. But she is 15 now, has cataracts and we don't think she can survive as outside any more...

We moved her to the 2 car garage as she was making Z'ev crazy. Now she has made my husband crazy...climbing on the cars, leaving muddy footprints (where the mud comes from I do not know!) and, to top it off...scratches in the stripes of my mustang. Husband just left to do errands, livid.

House is not an option - Wayne is highly allergic to cats. As in, develop a fever allergic.

So, a friend who runs a garbage/recycling/trucking business has a extra large plastic travel crate that somebody discarded. In great condition. Josh is going to pick that up and kitty will have to live in that until I can get Z'ev conditioned enough for crating in house. BUt Josh is livid...Z'ev is gonna' kill that cat. Something about us becoming demented in our old age...

But - at least I don't have young children in a house that has to be aired out in Jan for radon buildup...that must be really worrisome for you. May you have a brisk wind!

Sorry for the whining...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 5:41 pm

I think your problems FAR exceed my own. My kids have been playing outside for HOURS and refuse to come inside. One still needs to complete her schoolwork and the other needs a nap!

Good luck with finding a workable solution for the cat. My hubby is mildly allergic to cats. He can live with them, just can't have them touching him or laying on places he sits/lays. Dear daughter, being the animal lover that she is, has been pleading for a cat for several months now. Much to my dismay, hubby has promised her that once our new house is done and we're settled in she can adopt a cat from the shelter. Mixed feelings about that one and none too happy with the hubby for promising that without us both being on board. On the plus side though, I know both of my dogs get along well with cats which is ahead of where you are at the moment. Hope it all gets sorted quickly and you can get on a better schedule that includes much more rest!

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Hand-feeding through the crate has been going well though slow. I can only feed one piece of kibble at a time that way. What I have noticed, and please, excuse the graphic nature of this post, is that feeding is a high arousal state - not only does he do a little dance, (even sitting, he rocks rapidly back and forth on his front paws) but - he also has full "lipstick." Yesterday, I started working on becoming more calm while feeding. I would say "easy" and only give him the kibble after he was still. He caught on after a bit which was quite a pleasant surprise to me.

He's also sitting on entering and exiting the crate while I put the slip lead on him which has now allowed him to be in the house crate for a bit. Like, right now. But he's a noisy critter!

And...muzzled. Thank god I had the presence of mind for muzzling! Towards the end of hand feeding through the muzzle, he leaped into my face - scratches from toe nails but no bite.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Amy, considering what you started with, you're doing an absolutely great job with him.  

Your comment about arousal is interesting.  I've seen that some dogs, like some horses, will become aroused by the scent of an ovulating human.  Some seem to be aroused by almost anything / anyone.  But I've never heard of one being aroused strictly<?> at feeding.  Z'ev must have some interesting history ...

Sasha pulled a 'first' on me a couple of days ago.  I've never had any problem with her (or Avalanche) counter surfing so after a neighbor brought over a split pea/potato/ham stew as I was on my way out to the store, I set it on the counter and left.  Came home to a broken bowl on the floor and no stew. She's the only one that I've trusted loose, alone in the house so I know who the culprit was.  Blasted dogs!!!

I was more than a little concerned about the chips from the pottery dish, some of which she had to have ingested with the stew, but checking her stomach (a little bloated initially) and urine / stool she seems to have escaped any damage. Her feces is still more than a little green but I was more concerned about blood from pottery chips.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 3:47 pm

Fortunately, the peas and potatoes are full of soluble fiber which may protect his gut while the pottery shards go through.

It really doesn't seem like I'm making progress.  At the moment there is only the barest of bond with this dog.  He does seem to carry less tension in his body.

My quandary now is, go back to hand feeding one by one in the crate or continue with the muzzle out of the crate.  And watch more carefully.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 4:56 pm

<< Laughing >> In between the "soluble fiber" and the green colour, her feces has indeed been interesting.  As long as I don't see any blood, I'll consider it an escape from the potential.

Amy, you're right there and seeing the changes as you relate them to us is as difficult to see, I think, as watching a puppy grow.  

Realizing that Sasha was making eye contact with me when I fed her was a 'big win' in my book.  I finally had some control over her food aggression.  Even, as you phrase it, "the barest of bonds" is more than you had when he came to you - it *is* progress, but like watching a puppy grow it just seems agonizingly slow.

I often wonder what it is that makes a dog flip from 'pet' to 'Cujo' <thank you>.  Sometimes it feels like you know all the triggers and then something else crops in.  Why will he set so patiently as you're hand feeding him and then go 'Cujo' on you?  <rhetorical, of course> Sometimes it seems as if we animals are able to work through one set of 'trauma' (for lack of a more reasonable word) only to reach back and find some other trigger for our anxiety (this applies to us humans as well as our canine friends, I think)

I think your comments about how he, sometimes, is more relaxed - carry less tension - is what I see as the big improvement.  oh, no doubt, you and he will fall back from time to time but as long as you can continue to reduce that anxiety / tension, I think, you're on a winning roll.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm not sure any trauma was involved with this guy - other than when he first started as a puppy, exhibiting food aggression there was no effective response.  The worrisome problem with Z'ev is that he does not growl or stiffen - he just suddenly lunges and bites.  Absolutely no impulse control.  "I want it and I want it now and I'm gonna take it."  The incident today was towards the end of feeding - it was through the muzzle (a Baskerville Ultra that allows feeding and drinking) and I was feeding him small handfuls at a time.  I think he just got done being patient, had pent up "arousal" for wont of a better word and just lashed out. At which point, I am very grateful for both the muzzle and the prong collar. I have to hold him at arm's length like a Christmas tree ornament until he stops. I don't like doing that and I don't scold, hollar or anything. Just, I don't give in and I don't go away. Like a toddler with a temper tantrum.

I know at some point I'm going to have to transition from feeding with muzzle to no muzzle and begin with a bowl and me at a distance, adding delicious things but at the moment, I am NOT trusting.

I'm also flummoxed with his "down" command.  He lays down and rolls over onto his back submissively in one smooth move.  I want him in a down with confidence and relaxation.  This down is a very stiff, tense thing.  Don't quite know what to make of it.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 10:38 am

Oi vey, what a day I had today Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 1625187496

The critter escaped his crate despite all the zip ties, the particle board, the plywood, the huge heavy garbage can and the 2 long cable tethers holding the whole mess together (getting him out for a walk is like opening Fort Knox lol! ) I went up for his usual walk then dinner and he greeted me at the door. He was such a proud, happy puppy, wagging his tail and woo woo wooing.

Glanced around the shop, wondering what mischief the critter got into. That huge heavy garbage can was knocked over and its contents strewn over everywhere. And pee and poop on the other side of the mustang. But...the car cover was still intact. The extension cords were left alone. He did not go through a window as I expected.

And, he ran to the door, sat and waited for his Hannibal Lechter costume (muzzle attached to collar with additional head strap and prong collar, all held together with carabiner for redundancy. Irony: His ID tag is a big pink heart and his carabiner is raspberry Rolling Eyes )

Then came home after walk...tethered the boy to the tractor while I used the divider panel from the new crate (he's NOT destroying another crate!!!!) inside the crate to cover the hole in the back of the old crate, zip tied EVERY joint and weld. Then put a piece of plywood that covered the whole back with an additional piece of OSB. Re-did all the tethers (goes around the crate 2.5 times) to hold the whole mess together.

Then, turned to get the critter, feed him and clean up the garbage can mess...

Uh Oh affraid Unbenknownst to me...I had discarded an old bone I picked up from the dogs. The muzzled, tethered critter found it. And was laying peacefully, protectively around it. Took the push broom, pulled it to me...he attacked the push broom with as much husky drama as he could manage. But, I took pity on him. Wanted him to know that I do not take things away from him (I also had to get him back in the crate and his muzzle and prong off. I like my hands the way they are!) So, I made a big deal of putting his bone in the crate - which he watched with considerable attention.

All's fine and good. Except, as he went in the crate, his prong got caught in his fur Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 1625187496 I still had the leash attached so, as I fed him I was able to feed the leash up to the top of the crate in the opposite direction of where it was caught. By jiggling it, could make him shake his head furiously and, fortunately...off it came.

I wish I did not have so many "Luuccccyyy" tendencies Razz Midnight pee went without incident. Phew.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 12:53 pm

I thought he was good at meeting people on walks and in general when he is out. I'm not sure I understand why he needs muzzled from the time he leaves his crate to the time he goes back. I may have missed the post that had the reasoning behind this. I wouldn't muzzle unless meeting other dogs for the first time. This dog is submissive as signaled by his want to roll over for you so good discipline will probably go a long way with him. Saying nothing and letting him carry on with his behavior until he calms doesn't give him anything to compute as being wrong. With a submissive dog giving correction shouldn't make him more unpredictable. The ones that become really unpredictable are the ones who have an inner motivation that isn't fear.

Have you tried giving him something else instead of taking things away? If you see him sitting on a bone, rather than get a broom and trying to shew him off go get a smelly treat and call him away. Then he gets something good without it being something you will have difficulty getting back later. Keno didn't earn things like antlers and bones for about 3 months after getting him. He had to let me put food in his bowl and learn to sit and wait to be released to eat before he got bones.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Muzzled: He wants to eat the little dog on our walk. He tripped me going in the door and immediately tried to bite me. If I take too long getting his collar off...he tries to bite me. If there is a yummy in the street that I don't see before he does...he tries to bite. He lunges, snarls at Ami.

And...he gives no notice. No growl. Nothing but a lunge and a chomp.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Hmm...he seemed more friendly than that from the way you spoke of him when you first got him. You said food aggression and that he was good with people but that sounds like just fearful aggression all the time now. I imagine to an extent he is confused by all the stuff on him. Muzzles are not easy for a dog to get used to. They take a dog that was nervous to start with and make them helpless and that can actually make matters worse. If he seems like he is becoming increasingly more unpredictable it could be in fact the Hannibal lechtor treatment escalating it. I understand you want to be as safe as possible from him, but alienating him with confusing hardware he doesn't understand that makes him more nervous might be counter productive at times.

PostSubject: Re: Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family   Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next