It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Female Join date : 2016-09-29

Puppy issues Empty
PostSubject: Puppy issues   Puppy issues EmptyThu May 18, 2017 10:53 am

So far Finley has caused just about every typical puppy problem you could think of. I was fully aware of this being a probable issue, but everything has really been stressing my boyfriend out. He keeps telling me she's a "bad dog" and I'm not sure what to do about it. Basically, she's gotten better in the crate even though she still cries in the middle of the night after going out to go potty. However, she is constantly having accidents in the apartment. She pees in really small amounts all over the carpet constantly. It's so frustrating because I feel like I never take my eyes off her yet she still manages to pee without warning. It's making our apartment smell and I don't know what to do unless I'm taking her outside every 20 minutes which is ridiculous. She's also been horrible with play biting. she's drawn blood at least 3 times now. All of this is soooo stressful, I have no idea what to do. Here's a pic of the little devil Puppy issues Img_3513
Back to top Go down
Triassi
Newborn
Newborn

Puppy issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy issues   Puppy issues EmptyThu May 18, 2017 11:12 am

Meg,

So I have two Husky pups, both just over 4months old. While I had a lot of concern voiced to me about the challenges of getting two at the same time, I can assure you time does improve these behaviors.

As far as the peeing goes, you need to remember some general rules. Puppies will have to go to the bathroom after within 20minutes of ...
1) Play
2) Consuming Water
3) Upon Waking - Sleep/naps

This will seem like you literally cannot do anything but helicopter parent early on but praising them and frequently outside will encourage them to go outside. If accidents happen inside be sure to be using a cleaner specifically to break down the enzyme smells so they don't catch the scents and continue to believe it is "OK" to go there.

For bedtime behaviors ensure you're getting sufficient exercise prior to bedtime. A tired puppy will be less apt to wine. There are many good videos on crating techniques but doing things like providing treats and encouraging the crate is a "Safe/Home" place for them will ease this. Them whining is a mix of the confining their freedom and lack of being with their Pack.

You can and should also try "Tethering" her by leashing her to you while indoors so they cannot get out of your visibility and you can quickly react to undesirable behaviors.

As far as the biting goes, How old was she when you picked her up? Bite inhibition is something learned from the mother/litter mates during play time. Getting a puppy too soon will have these unwanted behaviors.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Puppy issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy issues   Puppy issues EmptyThu May 18, 2017 11:16 am

It sounds like your boyfriend needs a reality check on what it's like to have a puppy, and a northern breed puppy at that. There's a reason so many huskies end up in shelters and it's because people like your boyfriend didn't seem to do their research or know what they were signing up for. Get him doing some research, encourage him to learn that she isn't a bad dog, just a typical siberian husky puppy.

If she is peeing really tiny amounts constantly make sure she doesn't have a uti. That will make them think they need to go constantly and often times they will let out whatever they have at the time even if it's a drop or two. Try to find nature's miracle enzyme spray for the floors. It cuts odors really well and will stop her urge to hit the the same spots as if she has deemed them the appropriate potty areas.

With biting, many yelp really loud when they bite too hard and/or put the pup in a time out. If they aren't going to play nice then they don't get to play.

Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Female Join date : 2016-09-29

Puppy issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy issues   Puppy issues EmptyThu May 18, 2017 11:35 am

Triassi, yes lol helicopter parenting is exactly how I feel! I picked her up when she was about 8.5 weeks, but she only had one sibling, would that make a difference or no? And TwisterII to be fair to him, she's mainly my dog we just live together currently until he moves in July for a job while I finish school! But I do wish he had researched as much as I did before she got here because maybe then he would have expected most of this stuff like I do. It's hard not to get frustrated though! I bought the nature's miracle urine destroyer stuff which has worked wonders! But she hasn't designated a single spot, she just randomly squats and goes for like a second. We're headed to the vet tomorrow morning so I'll mention it and see!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puppy issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy issues   Puppy issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1