It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskyBoxerMix
Newborn
Newborn

Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" Empty
PostSubject: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 11:47 pm

I've been told that Huskies like to "bite" or "grab" at your wrist or hand as a sign of affection and trust. I just recently adopted a Husky/Boxer mix, about 5 1/2 months old. He doesn't bite, even in play, on anything other than my hands and wrists (tho sometimes he gets a finger when aiming for my hand, etc). He gets visibly upset and barks at me if I won't let him grab at my wrist...

Normally, he'll wrap his paws around my arm, and then just... slobber and lightly grab at my hand and wrist and all over. If I take my arm back or push him off, he'll just sit there and throw a temper tantrum growling and barking (not in a threatening or angry or aggressive way).

In the household, I am VERY clearly his Alpha. I'm home most often, I'm doing his training, he's "my dog". My husband isn't as strict with him, and our cousin lives with us but avoids asserting any form of dominance since she's only here for 2 more weeks and doesn't want to "over step boundaries". So if it's TRUE that this is a bonding thing for him.. by denying him the chance to grab at my wrist, am I sending bad messages to him? Am I making him feel unwanted in our "pack"? He's only been with us for a week today, so it hasn't been long.

I tried using some of the "shut down" methods to get him to "stop biting" but that's when he starts barking at me. It's a very temper tantrum kinda bark and its almost adorable if it wasn't also annoying lol.

I'm afraid that if I let it continue, it will encourage biting later, even tho he doesn't bite otherwise right now. Is this something that will settle down as he settles in with us and the "pack status" settles in?
Back to top Go down
HuskyBoxerMix
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 11:50 pm

Picture for Attention of my little Mix babyHand/Wrist "Grabbing" 22384210
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 am

He's trying to goad you into playing. Biting and mouthing is just a form of initiating play. You aren't denying him anything by stopping him. You are teaching him much needed manors. The barking is his plan b to get you to play when the mouthing doesn't work. Training, walks, feeding are all ways to bond with your pup.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 12:02 pm

This is true. There are times when my boy, Kohdi, will put my hand in his mouth when I'm walking away from him, as I turn to him, he releases my hand and goes into playbow mode, I'll say "ahh, you wanna play?" and he jumps up and runs out the back door grabbing a toy on his way out, and waits on the grass area, toy in mouth, for me to play with him. I feel playing is also a way of bonding with your pup, but in your situation, with him starting to bark, it's in its own way, *demanding* you play with him and as was said, he needs to be taught some manners in that respect and giving in and going out to play with him won't achieve that. But maybe some set up time for play sessions will help?

He sure is cute Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyBoxerMix
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Oh, good.. I thought that's what the behavior was. But I have no experience with Huskies... I only have experience with Labs, Goldens, and Bully Breeds.. I've learned a LOT about huskies before I took Loki in but I hasn't seen anything about this wrist grabbing stuff but someone told me its this bonding thing, etc etc and I'm like.... OK... I can see how the behavior could point to that, but I'm still seeing "I wanna play". As I'm home during the day, I'm playing with him CONSTANTLY, draining lots of energy. He came to me at 5.5months, but no shots. His vet appointment is Tuesday to get caught up on everything, so I can't let him around other dogs just yet, but I have several play dates set up already once he's able. Right now during the day we play fetch and keep away and tug o war, as well as training (he knows Up, Down, Sit, and Stay!!!), and he has very little down time, but at night there's cooking dinner and then eating and spending time with my husband, so it's not as GO GO GO and that's when he starts the most of the behavior so it makes sense.

I am hoping that once I can take him on long walks, and have play dates, and what have you, he'll be more tired at night... But I'm happy to know that the behavior isn't something I'll have to work differently to shut down. Thank you both for the feedback, it means quite a bit!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 4:45 pm

I'm surprised that your lab didn't tell you that (s)he wanted to play. Mine often grabbed my pants-leg or my hand to "invite" me to play.

My Alaskan Husky will grab his rope and toss it around - and at me - so we play with that. My Sibes - nope, not interested in play - they just want to run!

You do have a cute - different! - boy there. Keep in touch, I'd like to see how he develops.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
HuskyBoxerMix
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 5:05 pm

He's our only dog right now, and all my animals growing up we got at 12wks and we shut down any mouthing and nipping and biting immediately... Loki came to us at 5.5months and the urge to use his mouth is STRONG and I'm just not used to it. He's so pretty and I will be around for awhile for sure. I haven't had a dog in several years and haven't trained one this "old" so I'm gonna need some help! lol
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 10:31 pm

HuskyBoxerMix wrote:
Oh, good.. I thought that's what the behavior was. But I have no experience with Huskies... I only have experience with Labs, Goldens, and Bully Breeds.. I've learned a LOT about huskies before I took Loki in but I hasn't seen anything about this wrist grabbing stuff but someone told me its this bonding thing, etc etc and I'm like.... OK... I can see how the behavior could point to that, but I'm still seeing "I wanna play". As I'm home during the day, I'm playing with him CONSTANTLY, draining lots of energy. He came to me at 5.5months, but no shots. His vet appointment is Tuesday to get caught up on everything, so I can't let him around other dogs just yet, but I have several play dates set up already once he's able. Right now during the day we play fetch and keep away and tug o war, as well as training (he knows Up, Down, Sit, and Stay!!!), and he has very little down time, but at night there's cooking dinner and then eating and spending time with my husband, so it's not as GO GO GO and that's when he starts the most of the behavior so it makes sense.

I am hoping that once I can take him on long walks, and have play dates, and what have you, he'll be more tired at night... But I'm happy to know that the behavior isn't something I'll have to work differently to shut down. Thank you both for the feedback, it means quite a bit!

When he's able to go on walks and stuff, it'll definitely help, less for the "tiring him out" and more for having some structure and other outlets to release his energy. At the moment, he hasn't gotten used to a schedule yet with you (and huskies seem to thrive on schedule) he has you home all day and pretty much has you available for his every whim. At night, your daily routine becomes more scheduled/structured, and he's not understanding that...yet. The more time he's with you, he will adjust to that AND with walks and play dates, he will have more outlets to release his energy.
Back to top Go down
HuskyBoxerMix
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" EmptySun Oct 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:

When he's able to go on walks and stuff, it'll definitely help, less for the "tiring him out" and more for having some structure and other outlets to release his energy. At the moment, he hasn't gotten used to a schedule yet with you (and huskies seem to thrive on schedule) he has you home all day and pretty much has you available for his every whim. At night, your daily routine becomes more scheduled/structured, and he's not understanding that...yet. The more time he's with you, he will adjust to that AND with walks and play dates, he will have more outlets to release his energy.

That is also good to know. We have DEF started him on some structure. He has his morning routine down pat, tho we're still trying to work our new routine out, too. He's smart as a whip and so intelligent, and he's such a sweetheart and Loooove to snuggle up. I haven't had a dog in a few years, and it's just such a blessing having him around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"   Hand/Wrist "Grabbing" Empty

Back to top Go down

Hand/Wrist "Grabbing"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1