It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2017 12:59 pm

amymeme wrote:
Lordy, he's cute as the devil!  One way I've made the crate desirable to my foster is feeding his meals in there and, initially, all treats were in the crate.  

As for night time, ummm...at 7 weeks?  Maybe every 2-3 hours?

And, speaking of 7 weeks...that's a bit young to leave the litter.  He will be missing out on important socialization from littermates and mom so you now have to be the socializer (is there such a word Razz )  The big one is bite inhibition.  Your pup will most likely be highly mouthy and you will have to be firm in suppressing that.  You may even have to resort to leather gloves when you play/train him.  There is lots of info on here about bite inhibition (and really, this NOT aggressive biting, its just how pups of this age learn about the world.)

Also - I wouldn't leave his collar on in the crate unless you are right there with him - collars and tags can get caught in the wires.  You may wonder "huh" but puppies are the damnedest things...they will ever surprise you with their antics.

Also - for potty training, keeping a leash on in the house, as he gets older, even the leash attached to you, can help tremendously to catch him in the act and take him outside.  At this age, without full shots you really have to be careful - no un-vaccinated dogs, no unknown dogs...no walking on outside surfaces frequented by dogs.  Diseases, particularly Parvo, can be fatal at this age.  ANd expensive if hospitalization, IV's etc are needed.
Im beginning to see what you mean with about the whole biting thing. He's bites A LOT and it actually hurts for a little guy like him. I've been trying to associate biting with toys so he knows that toys are acceptable, and whenever he bites me i yell OW really loudly, don't know how effective this actually is though
Back to top Go down
LoverofTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Another quick update for those interested lol! Okami is doin great! He sleeps in his crate now NO problem! DUring the day it's left open and he goes in there willingly to chill and nap! Only concerns I have now is the amount of biting he does! It really hurts and he just doesn't seem to understand how much D:     But he's a good boy, just hope he learns to pull bites. I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  - Page 2 Img_0411
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 12:10 am

He's looking awesome, I'm really liking his coloring!

Biting will calm down. And yeah, those sharp puppy teeth can hurt bad, haha. Just keep on it like you did with the crate training and Okami will grow out of it. It's not only something that happens with puppies taken earlier than 8 weeks, all mine did it to some extent and all should have already learned bite inhibition from mom and the litter, so I think we have all dealt with it to some degree, and can relate. It does indeed get better, but you have to stay on top of it for awhile. Good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 1:26 pm

He's so cute and unique. Going to be interesting to see how he transforms as he grows.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:
He's looking awesome, I'm really liking his coloring!

Biting will calm down. And yeah, those sharp puppy teeth can hurt bad, haha. Just keep on it like you did with the crate training and Okami will grow out of it. It's not only something that happens with puppies taken earlier than 8 weeks, all mine did it to some extent and all should have already learned bite inhibition from mom and the litter, so I think we have all dealt with it to some degree, and can relate. It does indeed get better, but you have to stay on top of it for awhile. Good luck! Smile
I really hope you are right, because sometimes he bites so hard and so much it makes me feel like hes being aggressive and not playing.
Back to top Go down
Rocky_Rhodes
Puppy
Puppy
Rocky_Rhodes

Male Join date : 2017-11-17

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Puppies experience the world via their mouth; they don't understand the difference between biting a stick, biting, kibble, or biting your hand.

Since you don't have other dogs in the home to teach her, it falls on you to be her pack leader by establishing the ground rules. At this young age it's easier to stuff something into her mouth that she can clamp down on when she goes for your hands. I have made the mistake with other dogs by playing with them and allowing them to bite my hands thinking it was fun; was not a fun lesson on my part as they didn't understand why I would get upset as they grew stronger.

So long as you don't encourage it, she will out grow it, and learn that your hands are good because they give rewards.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER    I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I NEED HELP! SOON TO BE HUSKY OWNER

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2