It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Scott+Lexi
Newborn
Newborn
Scott+Lexi

Female Join date : 2013-02-14

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 10:55 am

Ericobeasto wrote:
Question.. I feed koda nutrisca chicken and chicpea recipe. They have other recipes like lamb and chickpea and salmon and chickpea. Those 2 are more expensive but i was going to buy on ocasion for some variety. Can i switch between flavoras without mixing the old flavor?

I think it really depends on Koda's stomach and how similar the recipes are.

I say try it out and see for yourself!

Scott
Back to top Go down
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

Female Join date : 2013-06-25

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 12:05 am

We used to feed Pongo TOTW but he just didn't seem to like it and would not eat it. Then he would end up throwing up because his stomach was empty and upset. We tried blue buffalo and he didn't not tolerate it. So we switched back to Wellness which is what he was on when he was a puppy. He does really well on this food. I would like to try solid gold though sometime as I hear lots of huskies love that food.
Back to top Go down
olott707
Teenager
Teenager
olott707

Female Join date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 12:35 pm

I have Willow on Orijen puppy now & she ADORES it! Just wish we had somewhere close that carried it! Closest location is 3-ish hours away.
Back to top Go down
clasno
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 am

Question here, i give my 4 month pup Nutrisource lamb & rice wich is for all life stage. Is it okay? Because i ran out for the puppy formulas back then Sad
Back to top Go down
Halo_husky
Newborn
Newborn
Halo_husky

Female Join date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 8:35 pm

clasno wrote:
Question here, i give my 4 month pup Nutrisource lamb & rice wich is for all life stage. Is it okay? Because i ran out for the puppy formulas back then Sad

I'd probably try sticking with the puppy formulas even though it says "all life stages". It's more specific to their nutritional needs for their growth & development... a bag or two of that shouldn't hurt him either though (: Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Halo_husky
Newborn
Newborn
Halo_husky

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm feeding my puppy Solid Gold and she LOVES it. I hadn't decided yet between Fromm or Solid Gold for her adult food when it comes time. Has anyone tried both and have some experience to share between the two?
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 8:43 pm

I currently feed Okami Purina Puppy Chow Healthy Morsels. But I have been considering switching brands soon..... been doing a lot of research and have been liking Canidae Brand. Anyone else feed or have fed their huskies this that could let me know if it is a good choice?
Back to top Go down
Halo_husky
Newborn
Newborn
Halo_husky

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 8:53 pm

While I'm newer to the husky feeding world, I'd probably recommend switching Okami to a different kind of kibble formula. The first ingredients are: Whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, chicken by-product meal. You really should look for some sort of protein source as the first ingredient. Also, you want to avoid by-product meals because the by-product includes beaks, claws, etc that hold little to no nutritional value... same goes with the corn & wheat. Those are fillers to make more product but less quality.
Whatever you do decide to feed, just check out the first ingredients and make a judgement call with that in mind. Or, if you want to research a bit I really like the site dogfoodanalysis.com . They rate the foods and provide a reason why underneath so you can learn yourself what to look for and consider in the future. Smile
Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 9:50 pm

clasno wrote:

I would also agree that you should consider a puppy formula of some kind. All huskies react differently to different kinds of food and can handle some kinds better than others but a puppy formula of some kind has extra fat and vitamins that are vital to a puppy's growth. Puppy's generally burn more calories and typically need to take in more calories. Just like children/teenagers, their metabolism is faster because they are more active. Giving them reg food is ok if you're in a bind but puppy formulas are always best for the first year at least! :]
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 10:39 pm

I've been told on by a couple people TOTW that puppies really don't need the extra ingredients and to feed my pups adult formula. So Cloud switched at 8 months and Yuki switched at 6 months to the adult. If its an all life stages I think its fine, after all, its an all life stages..
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 pm

I didn't feed Sheba puppy food and I don't regret it one bit. If you are feeding a high quality, all life stages dog food, you are more then okay. Just have to watch the ratios Smile.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Halo_husky
Newborn
Newborn
Halo_husky

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 11:19 pm

I don't think ALS is terrible by any means... and probably better than some of the puppy foods out there, but there's part of me that thinks that they make puppy formula for a reason... I'd just check the back to make sure that the proteins, nutrients, etc are about what they should be if you go that route.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 12:57 am

I think puppy formulas are just a marketing ploy for the most part. The only real difference is the %'s, at least IMO. I don't think it is necessary, at all. But to each his own Smile.
Back to top Go down
barbineastvan
Newborn
Newborn
barbineastvan

Female Join date : 2013-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 10:12 am

Hi! I'm new here and I'm so thrilled I found this forum! My puppy is 17 weeks old and is doing quite well! Her name is Marvin (yes SHE is a female! I got to pick the sex and my boyfriend got to pick the name).

Marvin eats a raw diet comprised of 750 grams (divided into three meals, served daily), organic, free range chicken mixed with veggies and bone.

As for treats, she loves blueberries, carrots and dehydrated sweet potato chews. Also, lamb necks are a fave! For training, I used freeze-dried chicken breasts, turkey and/or duck pieces.

Everything is still evolving plus we are having fun!!
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 12:20 pm

barbineastvan wrote:
Hi! I'm new here and I'm so thrilled I found this forum!  My puppy is 17 weeks old and is doing quite well!  Her name is Marvin (yes SHE is a female!  I got to pick the sex and my boyfriend got to pick the name).

Marvin eats a raw diet comprised of 750 grams (divided into three meals, served daily), organic, free range chicken mixed with veggies and bone.  

As for treats, she loves blueberries, carrots and dehydrated sweet potato chews.  Also, lamb necks are a fave!  For training, I used freeze-dried chicken breasts, turkey and/or duck pieces.  

Everything is still evolving plus we are having fun!!
Welcome to the forum! Hope to see your introduction post with some pics of your pup soon?! <3
Back to top Go down
rdg303
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-09-10

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Bruin and Lola are both eating Evo -Red Meat. They LOVE it. I experimented with TOTW, Nature's Domain, and a few others but Evo is the only thing Bruin has ever shown interest in time after time! He is a VERY picky eater. Lola has 1.25 cups 2x a day, and she LOVES eating anything she can get her nose into! Bruin is eating 1x a day, 2 cups dry and I give him 1 Stella and Chewy's Raw Beef Dinner patty as well. Feeding him once a day is the only way I can get him to eat a "full" meal. He was free fed until we got Lola, but that had to change because she was eating too much. Once I switched him to 2x a day feeding he would eat MAYBE 1 cup/day which was not nearly enough. He just seemed uninterested in it and lost even more weight(he was already thin). Now with the 1x day feeding he is gaining weight again, his coat is shiny, much softer, and his shedding has decreased a lot. All BM's are great, and they both seem very happy with their food!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Just started feeding Earthborn Holistics Coastal Catch; LOVE IT!! I've fed it for almost a month and a half now, and they dogs have done wonderfully on it.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 8:06 am

I have a crapload of samples of Earthborn Holistic Kelsey... maybe once Caoimhe gets settled a bit I will give her some. I started mixing in Fromm puppy formula with her food this morning so *fingers crossed* she does well with that. I have a bag of TOTW High Prarie too
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 11:35 am

I love Earthborn Holistic, my girls did great on it when they only had it for a couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
shadowliu
Newborn
Newborn
shadowliu

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi, guys i'm getting an 8 week old puppy in 2 weeks. Should I just get the same food that the breeder was feeding her? (diamond chicken and rice) Also can you guys recommend some good "treats"? thanks
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 5:36 pm

@Shadowliu

Firstly welcome to the world of Huskies!! I would like to tell you that you should do a lot of research on what type of foods are good for huskies. They have extremely finicky stomachs, and you want to feed them something that they can be healthy from. Grains are usually something you want to steer clear of. But I am saying this, that you should buy one bag of whatever your breeder is feeding and one bag of what you want to feed (if you are switching) so then you can properly ween your puppy slowly with no astronomical problems in the digestive process.

I don't know about anyone else as far as treats go.. but I had a really hard time finding a treat that I deemed healthy enough that Okami would actually eat, and I found "Milk Bone Healthy Favorites Granola Biscuits" The number one thing that drew me to it was that it had no Corn in it. (That is usually a number one checklist for me... ) but it has real beef made into it so it gives her the taste she wants.

The other treat that I really like to give is the Blue Buffalo treats, they are corn AND grain free (like all their food). Another treat brand I love is Zukes.
Back to top Go down
shadowliu
Newborn
Newborn
shadowliu

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and tips. Also the breeder just hit me back saying they don't recommend treats for the puppy for the first few weeks. Did you do that as well?
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Pretty much when you are getting their stomach set on a new food, you don't want to add anything else. So I would not recommend feeding treats until your fully on a new food (2 weeks is the general transformation time)
After that, I don't see what the harm in a maximum of 5-7 healthy treats a day at that age. But just before feeding time when your pup is exercised and hungry, you may be fine treating with a few of the food kibbles.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 12:20 pm

So now that Evie has had her first bout of acute pancreatitis, I have to change her diet. I am looking for a good quality very low fat (10% or under) with a middle of the road (25% ish) range protein and preferably grain free. Any suggestions? I've been reading around and many people feed various Natural Balance foods and have had good results as far as no relapses. Most feed Reduced Calorie Natural balance and love it, but it is not grain free.
Back to top Go down
Lorilou
Newborn
Newborn
Lorilou

Female Join date : 2013-11-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Ok...I have read EVERY post on this thread..WHEW!! LOL I know I may get *Frowns* on this but here goes, this is what my pups get. When I picked them up from the breeder they were getting Pedigree so that is what I have kept them on. ( I know, I know ) May I say tho that they don't have the digestive/poop issues so many of you seem to be having.
Breakfast: 1 cup kibble with 1/2 can wet food.
Lunch: 1 cup kibble with a raw egg
Dinner: 1 cup kibble & a cup of low sodium broth, alternating between Beef & Chicken
Sounds like a lot but I take into consideration their age, 4 months & high energy. When they get older (After their 1st birthday) I will probably cut back to 2 meals a day. Depending on their weight vs energy etc.
When I first brought them home they had SEVERE food aggression & they were only 8 weeks old!! They quickly learned to sit before their separate bowls would be placed. I would sit between them & lift their bowls if the snarling began, again they would have to sit before getting bowls back, petting & praising, (even sticking my hand in their bowls while they were eating) when they ate with "manners". Max always finished first & would attempt to sneak into Nanuks bowl. A firm Ah Ah and placing myself between them worked. I will say this took almost 3 weeks to cure! Now Max will still stare at Nanuk until she has finished but no intervention on my part is required. I firmly believe it was due to the breeder feeding in a trough like system where it was survival of the fittest, meaning eat what you can while you can because it is sure to be gone soon!
Alrighty, that's my feeding story..I'm ready..I think LOL...Opinions welcomed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 23 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next