It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Link never had an issue with Pedigree (what his old owners fed) as far as poop issues go, its just not healthy for them. Just like people can survive on McDonalds, but somewhere down the road its gonna affect them. So personally, I wouldn't recommend it even if my dogs have the shiniest coats in the world because of what it does on the inside. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lorilou
Newborn
Newborn
Lorilou

Female Join date : 2013-11-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 12:32 am

I didn't really notice a "shine" to their coats, which is why I began adding the egg to their lunch. Perhaps the added protein supplements the Pedigree? I admit that the broth is purely because I watched my Mother do it with our Collie/ST Bernard mix. I am not sure why she did it, But Brandy lived a very long & healthy life, I still miss them both daily Sad Anyway, my sisters, sons & nephews all do it too with various breeds. I guess I still hesitate to question my Mothers judgement LOL I will ask if anyone sees any harm in this though?
In Re-reading my post please do NOT think that I meant that the digestive issue were Owner faults, I was just observing that I have been fortunate not to have these issues & am wondering if I should "fix" what isn't broken?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 12:39 am

My dads dogs also lived to be 16 on Purina or Pedigree, however it was obvious they were miserable in their later years, hot spots and horrible coats, bad teeth and arthritis, there was a definite difference between them and dogs that were fed higher quality kibble or raw at their age. It's not about the length of life, but the quality of life. And its known that dogs don't easily digest grains like we do, but its an easy by-filler companies use because its cheap for them.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ may help you out, it rates dog food brands and lists all the ingredients that are bad in each kibble. I know I wouldn't eat gluten meal myself so I wouldn't feed it to my dogs either. And my dogs never had bad stool on their good food, Taste of the Wild. Also they have never had a problem finishing off their meal - they absolutely love the taste, I did take that into account when I was looking for what to feed. It's all about finding the best food thats healthy for your husky, that your husky can tolerate. One brand of dog food will not work for every dog, but fortunately there are many brands out there.
Back to top Go down
Luna
Newborn
Newborn
Luna

Female Join date : 2013-09-27

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi everyone. I have to say digestion-wise, we've had some issues with our Luna. She proves to be one of those Huskies with sensitive stomachs. We started switching her from Puppy Chow to Natural Choice almost right after we got her, spread it over 4 weeks. Unfortunately at the same time Luna was going through a round of anibiotics due to girardia. We stuck to our switching process, but the runny poo didn't finish after one round of antibiotics and they recommended one more round. That didn't seem to help much either, so eventually I put her on bland diet (chicken & rice) and right away her poo improved significantly. So I thought Natural Choice was just not the right kind of food for her, so while on bland diet we started introducing Blue, high calorie, for puppies. She did good on that for about 2 weeks or so and she finally started gaining weight, and then out of the blue her diarrhea returned this week. The vet found again it was girardia and so our poor pooch is on another round of antibiotics again. We already know that Blue is the right kind of food for her, so not switching again, her poo is getting better, though not as fast as we'd hope.

Btw, she's 4.5 (almost 5) months old now.

She also doesn't tolerate treats too well, be it grain-free, natural etc. I'm sure she'll be fine with them once she grows up, but at this point the treats also result in soft stool. So we try to stick to kibble, and as someone recommended in another thread - stuff kong with kibble and cottage cheese, but only once in a while. She also gets a himalayan "chewable" - once again - someone here recommended it (I have no idea what it's made out of), and it works great, she loves it, but so far hasn't even made a dent in it, so I know it's not going to influence her intestines. Smile
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 2:09 pm

The Himalayan chews are basically a really hard cheese made from yak milk and lime juice. They are great chews.

I'm currently switching Mishka from BBW puppy to TOTW Pacific Stream. Mishka loves food so there's no issues with that. I already find it's making his coat shinier. Here's to seeing how well he does. Though I find he's gassier than usually but no smell. He's got whistle butt all the time now. Lol. Hoping it's just the transition. His stools are fine so no idea what could be causing it.

jmscott
Puppy
Puppy
jmscott

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 2:32 pm

We feed Prey Model Raw.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 5:20 pm

We feed our girl Brit premium large breed adult, but we should have fed for medium sized dogs, just it was 30% off, and it didn't really made a huge difference.
http://www.brit-petfood.com/products/dogs3/premium8/dry7/adult-l/
so we give her 200g per day, and feed her 2 times a day.
Back to top Go down
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

Female Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 7:44 pm

I've been feeding Kylah Authority large breed puppy. I think its pretty good for the money ($34 for 34 lbs). Is there anything healthier for a comparable price?
http://authoritypetnutrition.com/dog-products/large-breed/puppy-real-chicken.shtml
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 9:21 pm

kylah2013 wrote:
I've been feeding Kylah Authority large breed puppy. I think its pretty good for the money ($34 for 34 lbs). Is there anything healthier for a comparable price?
http://authoritypetnutrition.com/dog-products/large-breed/puppy-real-chicken.shtml

If you have a Tractor Supply store near by, they carry a food called 4health. I've heard it's pretty decent quality and it's really cheap too. It's about $35 for a 30lb of the grain free formula.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 11:55 am

So, I tried Nutrisca for the first time. The girls did NOT do well on it, at all. I have been changing food sources without a transition for almost two years now with no problems. However, it was reported to me they just never ..."acclimated" to the food. Loose stools, gas, burping..you name it. So, I put the girls back on Earthborn and they are back to normal and thriving. Very odd.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

Female Join date : 2014-03-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 3:37 pm

We r giving her Taste of the Wild -wild prairie at the moment. She had probs when we brought her home and being new dog owners didnt know much about food(breeder told us to change food and everyone had a different advice),so she suffered  trough pedigree(but only a few days)  What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 1625187496 then Hills which was recomended by vet, and at the end I did some resurch on line and we started her on Taste of the Wild-Salmon at the begging. She got better so we stayed with this one. Not sure if its a good food or not??

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 SJjlxnjWhat are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 SJjlp1

Last edited by Wonderstar on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Wonderstar wrote:
We r giving her Taste of the Wild -wild prairie at the moment. She had probs when we brought her home and being new dog owners didnt know much about food(breeder told us to change food and everyone had a different advice),so she suffered  trough pedigree(but only a few days)  What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 1625187496 then Hills which was recomended by vet, and at the end I did some resurch on line and we started her on Taste of the Wild-Salmon at the begging. She got better so we stayed with this one. Not sure if its a good food or not??

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 SJjlxnjWhat are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 SJjlp1

I also feed TOTW I switch between prairie and the pacific one depending on which on is in stock when I need and and my guys love it.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 4:38 am

Good to hear I am doing something ok ;)We r changing flavours too,first was salmon ,then duck ,now wild prairie  cause she doesnt seem too much excited about her food  Question ..when we  change flavour(always same brand ''taste of the wild'') she eats all quickly .That lasts 2 days then is again same old..uf food I dont really wanna eat it..but if there is nothing better u r offering me guess will have this one..eventually.. not sure if she is really a picky eater (that doesnt count if u offer cookies of course Wink)or she doesnt like this food. I wouldnt like to change this brand cause she had probs when we got her and now she  is doing really well on it. or maybe I am giving her too much food so she leaves sometimes half? Your dogs eat all their food when u give them their meal?  

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 PkRI04KWhat are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 PkRIp1
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:19 am

RAW, Orijen, and The Honest Kitchen. Right now my two are eating more THK and Orijen than anything. Fed raw exclusively for like 6 months and they did great on it. Started feeding THK and Orijen for convenience sake. Not noticed much of a change at all except a bit more waste. Still feed some raw meals.

Fed TOTW for several months and my male started having issues with diarhea. Switched to 4health and he did fine for a few weeks then started having MAJOR blow outs! Lost a lot of weight fast. Started giving him to raw chicken as a last resort just to get something in him and the runs subsided. Switched to completely raw with no issues. Hoping that THK and Orijen continue to go over well.
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:22 am

Would love to find an affordable commercial raw diet but have failed to do so as of yet.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:32 am

Wonderstar wrote:
Good to hear I am doing something ok ;)We r changing flavours too,first was salmon ,then duck ,now wild prairie  cause she doesnt seem too much excited about her food  Question ..when we  change flavour(always same brand ''taste of the wild'') she eats all quickly .That lasts 2 days then is again same old..uf food I dont really wanna eat it..but if there is nothing better u r offering me guess will have this one..eventually.. not sure if she is really a picky eater (that doesnt count if u offer cookies of course Wink)or she doesnt like this food. I wouldnt like to change this brand cause she had probs when we got her and now she  is doing really well on it. or maybe I am giving her too much food so she leaves sometimes half? Your dogs eat all their food when u give them their meal?  

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 PkRI04KWhat are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 PkRIp1

My dogs really love TOTW and just go for it. But I do keep them on the lean side so they only get 2- 3 cups of food. One thing that helped us is we make them do some Sits and Downs and Stays before we release them to go to there food. They seam to like there food better when they have worked harder for it.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:47 am

kclee wrote:
RAW, Orijen, and The Honest Kitchen. Right now my two are eating more THK and Orijen than anything. Fed raw exclusively for like 6 months and they did great on it. Started feeding THK and Orijen for convenience sake. Not noticed much of a change at all except a bit more waste. Still feed some raw meals.

Fed TOTW for several months and my male started having issues with diarhea. Switched to 4health and he did fine for a few weeks then started having MAJOR blow outs! Lost a lot of weight fast. Started giving him to raw chicken as a last resort just to get something in him and the runs subsided. Switched to completely raw with no issues. Hoping that THK and Orijen continue to go over well.

hmm its been 4 months if not 5 that she is eating Taste of the Wild and she is doing great. her diarrea stopped and all is good ..just that she is not so keen on her food..if she doesnt get any probs I d like to keep her on this food. We dont have most of the brands like u do in States..there is some diffrent stuff around and it seems to me that every pet shop is trying to seel what is convinient to them-I dont trust their advice much. I found Taste of The Wild and Orijen ..just orijen is really expencive..and doing some reading seems like taste of the wild is 4 stars food and orijen 5 stars so both should b ok..at least thats what is said but I am no expert on this one just doing lots of reading Wink.

Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 am

My dogs really love TOTW and just go for it. But I do keep them on the lean side so they only get 2- 3 cups of food.  One thing that helped us is we make them do some Sits and Downs and Stays before we release them to go to there food. They seam to like there food better when they have worked harder for it. [/quote

thanks will try with ur advice asking her to sit and lay down but I can see her allready. Doing tricks and then I give her her bowl of ''normal'' food she will give me a look like ; really- does This?! to u looks like a treat  Rolling Eyes Smile 

Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 am

TOTW is a good food and Jasmine did well on it for years. Barney just has a really sensitive stomach so when he came along we had to make a switch. Jas is pretty versatile.
Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:52 am

Smile ok. so I am doing something right here -its good to know that Wink

Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Mine are still on TOTW since I switched Cloud and Yuki over to it around October of 2012 and Link went on it in May of 2013 a couple weeks after I got him. Have yet to see any issues in the two flavors I feed, which are Pacific Stream and Southwest Canyon. They love it.
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Prey Model Raw diet for ours. She loves it too!
Back to top Go down
LMS
Newborn
Newborn
LMS

Female Join date : 2014-05-10

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptySat May 17, 2014 12:57 pm

OMG my head is spinning from reading all 30 pages!  Lol!  Wink

I'm new on here & we are waiting for the call to go pick up our new pup. (The pups insist they're not ready to be weaned even though the mum thinks it would be a great idea!)  They just had their first shots yesterday.

I used to feed my Dalmatian grain free Wellness whitefish & potatoes & then later on, TOTW pacific salmon, we tried an even more simple food but she didn't like it. (We thought she needed a better home than with us when she as a year old & we told the new owners to watch out for possible food allergies which they disregarded & fed her Pedigree & milk bones for 8 yrs, until we got her back.  She had severe meat protein & grain allergies, was raw & bloody & was on benadryl most of the time.  Poor pup!  Sad  )

So from what I can wrap my brain around with all the info regarding feeding a pup, regular puppy food is better than feeding all stages or large breed puppy?  We're not sure who our pup will take after (mum or dad) as mum is a petite sibe, 45 lbs?  And dad looks like a malamute & is 110 lbs.

They are currently feeding the pups TSC brand (which I will slowly switch).
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptySat May 17, 2014 2:28 pm

We're in our second week of switching Layla from Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete to TOTW High Prairie. So far it's doing what I'd hoped it would do: firm her poops. At first she had diarrhea when we first began the switch but it's gotten a lot better lately. One more week and she'll probably be totally switched over.

The only thing I don't like about TOTW so far is the price. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 EmptySun May 18, 2014 12:51 am

LMS wrote:
OMG my head is spinning from reading all 30 pages!  Lol!  Wink

I'm new on here & we are waiting for the call to go pick up our new pup. (The pups insist they're not ready to be weaned even though the mum thinks it would be a great idea!)  They just had their first shots yesterday.

I used to feed my Dalmatian grain free Wellness whitefish & potatoes & then later on, TOTW pacific salmon, we tried an even more simple food but she didn't like it. (We thought she needed a better home than with us when she as a year old & we told the new owners to watch out for possible food allergies which they disregarded & fed her Pedigree & milk bones for 8 yrs, until we got her back.  She had severe meat protein & grain allergies, was raw & bloody & was on benadryl most of the time.  Poor pup!  Sad  )

So from what I can wrap my brain around with all the info regarding feeding a pup, regular puppy food is better than feeding all stages or large breed puppy?  We're not sure who our pup will take after (mum or dad) as mum is a petite sibe, 45 lbs?  And dad looks like a malamute & is 110 lbs.

They are currently feeding the pups TSC brand (which I will slowly switch).

I would not feed her large breed puppy food. LB puppy food more often then not has a very negative effect on actual LB pups by making them grow too fast causing pano to happen. Also, I wouldn't feed it since she is a Siberian, and as we all know Sibes are medium breed dogs Very Happy. Also, your baby's momma is a normal sized Sibe, not petite at all Smile. The standard is 35-50 pounds, so momma is right where she should be Smile.

Plenty of us have fed ALS (all life stages) and had great success, myself included. I feel *most* puppy foods are a unnecessary and basically a money grabber. I started Sheba on ALS at 8 weeks of age, and at 2 years old she is a lean, mean, athletic 35 pounds. I suggest skipping over puppy food for the simple fact I don't think it is necessary, but that is a personal decision to make Smile.

You can start your girl on your normal TOTW as soon as you get her home, or you can go to puppy food TOTW.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 24 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 24 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next