It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New comer/new Husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kocola
Newborn
Newborn

New comer/new Husky owner Empty
PostSubject: New comer/new Husky owner   New comer/new Husky owner EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi everyone,
so my GF and I just got two new baby Huskies (Beaux & Bella). Super stoked! So I wanted to join to get pointers on training, potty training, house training. Right they have been pretty good with going outside in our back yard and some on the potty pads. I have been researching and researching on training and starting them since I feel they are so young, but then I heard it is to start them young on training. I tried yesterday to give treats, and start off with them getting them to know their name but they just kind of played with the treat and spit it out. The breeder stated the mom was being taken care of very well and passed away, so she stepped up and took place of "mommy" but was not able to keep all of them. She had the dad and someone had the mom. Can you guys give pointers or helpful hints, we would greatly appreciate it!!New comer/new Husky owner B__b10

Last edited by kocola on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : inserted pics)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New comer/new Husky owner   New comer/new Husky owner EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Man, are you a glutton for punishment!! Taking tow puppies at once - do you have a good shrink on call??

Seriously two can be a challenge, but from your note, you sound like you're up to it.

Curiousity, how old are they? The picture suggest 7-8 weeks (which is good - the later the better)

My line to a new puppy owner is to "Raise the puppy to be the dog you want it to become." For example - people love to pick up a puppy and pet it, picture 6 months down the road schlepping around a 60 pound pup who "just loves to be picked up!"

Welcome to the madness of being a Husky owner x 2!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: New comer/new Husky owner   New comer/new Husky owner EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 10:38 pm

HI! kocola

Oh mah gahhhh!!! Sooo cute!!! >.<

Like aljones said...good luck...you're going to need it! >.<...

Just a few things you've mentioned in your post.  Might want to avoid puppy pads so they don't become dependent on those things.  Might have a couple more accidents in the house you have to clean up now, but I think the hassle of transitioning them to outdoor pottying is well worth it.   You're also send mixed signals as to where to actually go.  Is it the pad or outside?

As for treats, what are you using that they're spitting it out?  You definitely want something they're interested in so that they'll learn whatever you're trying to teach them.  Granted some huskies aren't food driven, but maybe try freeze-dried liver? I'm hard pressed to find a dog that doesn't enjoy them, and they're a cheap healthy alternative!

Too hard just to give you pointers, just ask questions as they come up with your care...all the members here are a host of knowledge, and they're all willing to share it!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: New comer/new Husky owner   New comer/new Husky owner EmptyTue Jan 16, 2018 1:37 am

I've done the raising of two puppies (brother and sister) at the same time and the biggest challenge is to raise them as individuals while raising them together. It's not a ton of work, but it's a bit more work than if you were just raising one. Something called littermate syndrome can create itself if two pups are left doing *everything* together. You want to train them seperately so you can work with each one at their own speed without being distracted by the other. Things like walks, playing, are best done together, and individually. Together allows them to bond together like they should, and individually allows them to bond with you, as they should. Training should be done as early as possible, keeping in mind their young age and not expecting perfection from the start. Potty training, the earlier the better for sure. Spitting out treats is kind of unusual for a puppy so maybe change what treats you are giving them. Training treats, kibble, are nice and small and probably preferable to a puppy.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new pups, they are adorable!
Back to top Go down
kocola
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New comer/new Husky owner   New comer/new Husky owner EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks guys for the feed back!
Aljones I have always wanted huskies and we got two because I worried about them being alone, but we are up for the challenge. Plus I didn't want to leave one because the mom was not healthy enough to take care of her pups. They are 6 weeks and so far so good. But I am excited for the challenge and ready to go all in.

Husky911: Well since we brought them home they actually haven't used the puppy pads at all. we have been pretty scheduled with bringing them in the back yard and they have been doing pretty good. They actually will go to the back door on their own. The treats we bought we for puppies a sales lady told us about at Petsmart, their chicken flavored I believe I cant recall the brand. But I will try the liver treat and see how that works. Right now my concern is the crate training, they do really good we do wake up about 530ish because they want to go outside and then we feed them about 6am. So I hope thats a good schedule for them, they seem to be catching on to it pretty well. The petsmart lady told us about we need to start keeping them separate, so I do see the challenge in training them individually.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New comer/new Husky owner   New comer/new Husky owner EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 1:28 pm

That's awful young to be taken from their mom and pack - but we do understand that sometimes things just don't work out the way nature would like them to.

Just be aware that you're going to have to teach them a lot that mamma and the "puppy pack" would have taught them. Probably the biggest is something called bite inhibition. In their pack they learn in a hurry that if they bite too hard they're not going to be played with, by the other puppies, so they learn how to "play bite." Most puppies who don't grow up in the pack till they're about 8-10 weeks seldom learn this and their human parents become frustrated when the puppy wants to bite / chew on everything. Of course teething is another challenge to the biting and chewing but that's normal - and still frustrating.

With two there you really in for the ride of your life. Feel free to ask questions, there's someone here who's 'been there' who can help.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
kocola
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New comer/new Husky owner   New comer/new Husky owner EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks, yes I was so worried about taking them from the mother, but the breeder said the mom was really sick so she stepped in and had been bottle feeding them already so they weren't really around the mom, but she had all four pups and we kept two and she kept one. But I have noticed when they play with each other they bite till the other cries but when they play bite us its not hard at all. Which is another reason why I was glad we took two instead of one. Were super excited of whats to come of these pups.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: New comer/new Husky owner   New comer/new Husky owner EmptySat Jan 20, 2018 5:40 pm

they are so cute. welcome to the forums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New comer/new Husky owner   New comer/new Husky owner Empty

Back to top Go down

New comer/new Husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1