It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Choosing what to feed is so HARD.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gatorgnash
Newborn
Newborn
gatorgnash

Choosing what to feed is so HARD. Empty
PostSubject: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptyFri May 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Since before anything was set in stone on us getting a puppy I've been doing reading and research about different foods and now we're a week away from getting my puppy and I'm still not entirely sure what food I want to go with.

Honestly I will probably go with what my first choice was, which is Taste of the Wild. I've flip flopped with this brand because I've read both great and bad reviews on it... It's probably one of the hardest decisions when it comes to getting a dog IMO, there's so many brands and different opinions and then when we get the dog he might not even LIKE TOTW so we might have to pick a different brand! Laughing

I've been so stressed thinking about it but I think that the majority of people have done just fine on TOTW, and it's in my price range. I just wish it was easier to pick.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptyFri May 25, 2018 4:06 pm

At the end of the day you have to feed your dog what you can afford and what works for your dog. Huskies can be very picky if you let them. In general though if you are feeding a higher protein, grain free food, that leans a little higher on the fat side you will usually be in a good position barring anything strange going on with your pup internally or extra allergies that could happen. TOTW has a large variety of flavors to choose from which is helpful if your dog does end up having allergies to certain proteins but it's nothing to sweat about until you have your pup and get to know what works for it. Just remember to get a small bag of whatever the breeder is feeding so you can make the proper transition. Some pups can swap cold turkey but usually the stress of going to a new home plus going cold turkey to a new food can be an explosive one so best to transition at least one part of life for the pup slowly. It will be fine. You will do great.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptyFri May 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Gatorgnash - sometimes I think we all perseverate waaayyyyyy too much on our dogs diet.  I've fed Iams (pudding poop, doesn't digest the corn) 4Health (I thought it accelerated tartar but I'm probably just imagining it) TOTW (he was getting fat 'cause hubby kept feeding him extra) so I switched to Wegman's Nature Chicken 'cause it was low low calorie with decent protein/fat but...I thought it accerated tartar so I switched to Crave (I was in a bind, had to leave town with the dogs, Walmart had it, great protein, fat, inexpensive...)so I'm now at Crave and thinking of going back to TOTW 'cause I'm pissed that Chewy is now charging tax and the Crave is under the 49 free shipping so I have to buy 2 which is a storage PIA and...if I switch to Dr FOster and Smith...free shipping is 19.  

Really...I have waaaayyy to much time on my hands if I spend this much time thinking about dog food.  'Cause, honestly, no matter what I fed, energy, coat, eyes, muscle mass, they did great.  Except for the pudding poop but that was my "pick up the poop" problem, not Ami's.

So - as Jenn suggests, pick a food readily available, fits your budget, your pup will eat with decent levels of protein and fat (for me that is 25/15 minimum, purely...idiosyncratic).
Back to top Go down
gatorgnash
Newborn
Newborn
gatorgnash

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptyFri May 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Yep, I agree. Alright I think I will definitely go with Taste of the Wild. I like their packaging, too! Razz
And yes, I have to pick up a bag of the breeders puppy food they're on. Hoping the switch will go smoothly!

I can't wait to get my pup, I'm definitely going to start a 52 weeks thread once we get him!
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptySat May 26, 2018 11:03 am

I just came in here to learn what Perseverate means.. Razz

Oh...and we feed our dogs Kirkland puppy food. Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptySat May 26, 2018 11:32 am

@dvflyer,  Oh, c'mon even if the word perseverate itself isn't that common let's take a look are the word.

Persevere - simply means "to continue doing something" (she persevered until he caught her)

Adding the "ate" ending to it converts it to an adjective (think "fortune" -> "fortunate")

The way it was used would suggest perseverance in thought - overthinking something.

Or so says your local pedant ....

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptySat May 26, 2018 12:29 pm

On the nose, Al. Probably a leftover from my therapist days. As in clients who perseverate over a real or imagined slight, hurt, shame etc. Suggests fixating on something way beyond what is needed...not quite obsessing but getting there...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dictionary#dobs=perseverate
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptyTue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Hey gatorgnash!

Have you considered RAW dog food? Just to add to your long list of things to consider =D.
Back to top Go down
gatorgnash
Newborn
Newborn
gatorgnash

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptyWed May 30, 2018 1:05 am

Husky911, I sure have! I've heavily heavily considered it, and I want to do it, I'm just not sure... I'm nervous I suppose. And I'm not sure where I would be able to get all the food needed and the cost and freezer space Shocked

I do want to do it though, I love how healthy it is.
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. EmptyWed May 30, 2018 1:33 am

Hey gatorgnash!!!

Definitely a daunting task when you first step into the foray, but to be honest, I don't think it's worth it to make your own. It's time consuming and I think it costs more than just finding a company that does everything for you!

A simple Minnesota raw dog food search on Google brings up a lot of locally sourced companies in your area that offer great raw options. http://www.rawdeliverymn.com seems to have the most variety of meats, and raw bone options. Some of the other results from Google seemed to only focus on beef, turkey and chicken. While technically sufficient, it's always nice to rotate a variety of proteins so your dog gets balanced nutrients from a wide range of meats.

I myself go with a company called Big Country RAW here in Toronto and they have a wide range of meats to choose from. All the organs, meat, and bones are portioned and mixed in proper ratios for me, frozen and separated into 1lb patties. It's as simple as thawing and serving. I love it, because you can really tailor your dog food to the specifications of what your dog requires. Echo is super low maintenance with some urinary tract sensitivities, so on top of just the base meats, I add a cranberry supplement, some herring oil and a kelp/alfalfa/spirulina supplement

If it's something you're considering, feel free to ask questions in the RAW Feeding Forum, I'm sure you'll get lots of help there. Should you stick with a local company in Minnisota, they often have a facebook group, or a website that will be loaded with information of where and how to start as well. Don't hesitate to ask! As a RAW fed dog owner, I'm always eager to pass on the knowledge of how I feed my dog RAW because I'm so impressed with the benefits it has to offer.

Ask questions, do some research, and give RAW a chance =D.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Choosing what to feed is so HARD.   Choosing what to feed is so HARD. Empty

Back to top Go down

Choosing what to feed is so HARD.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1