It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ami's Visit to the Vet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Ami's Visit to the Vet Empty
PostSubject: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 11:08 pm

The weather finally cooperated and we made it to the vet today. She did a thorough exam and only thing she found was tight hips, she couldn't get full extension. She went over his back three times, first lightly then, by the third time, with considerable pressure. While he looked a bit annoyed, there was no response.

I did tell her he's not jumping up on furniture or the bed nearly as much as he used to, but i chalked up Archer and Z'ev being turds, not wanting to share. She started him on Dasuquin (crap that stuff is expensive!). And she wants him to lose some weight.

Wayne is not happy. Thinks the hips are an incidental finding. He won't full out tell to get an MRI but says that's what they would do with a human. (Keep in mind he's a retired emergency physician. Their job is to figure out the worst that can happen and rule out.

After the appointment, I started remembering little things. V like I walk around the property with the dogs, he goes back early and waits for us in the parking area. And then, he seems to mince his steps back legs. Which I thought was cause I'm old lady and can't keep up with him.

We'll see how he does 6 weeks Dasuquin.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 11:49 pm

No real help, so I'll share a possibly related story.

Our Aussie, Ginger, went through maybe a year or so where she had a lot of trouble just getting up after laying down. I have a video of her somewhere... I'll see if I can upload it. Today, she can *almost* keep up with Mika chasing the ball. We didn't change a thing.* We had her examined, x-rayed, put on Carprofen and something else. Nothing helped (at the time). No issues other than VERY slight arthritis.

The Vet's last idea was that she may have a torn ligament in her leg(s). Only way to tell, according to them, was to do surgery. I guess if there was no issue, they'd just sew her back up (?). We declined.

Today, you'd never know she ever had a problem. She's 12 so she's obviously not quite a spry as she was, but it's a 180 change from a year or so ago.

*The only thing that's different is we got the puppies.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 12:22 am

I agree with Wayne. Does it have to be full out MRI or would some X-rays be sufficient? Torn ligament like Mike mentions seems plausible.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 12:31 am

Xrays only show bones. Ligaments, tendons, discs are all soft tissue. He showed no pain throughout the exam, just the stiffness.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 10:30 am

I would have at least run the x-ray to rule out large amounts of arthritis or cartilage loss in joints. If he has hip issues it would show if he has bone on bone rubbing. I would not have felt that a useful vet visit without it or the MRI.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Jenn - I'm going to pass on the x-rays/mri for now. At the moment, I think the risk of anesthesia outweighs the benefit of the exam/ I saw the back exam she gave Ami and if he had any pain in there, he would have reacted. (Wayne wasn't there, only heard my report.) Ami only looked faintly annoyed on her third pass so I'm comfortable there's not a whole lot, if anything, going on there. I specifically asked about either a subluxation, disc and she said that would have been elicited by the back exam.

As for the hips - the jury is out on that for me. Mostly because the dogs have had no routine, sustained walking in months, not because of them but me, my mom's illness/funeral, my foot problem, Wayne's foot problem, my illnesses, the blizzards, my hand injury. My hand is mostly healed now and the new hiking shoes I ordered seem to be doing the trick. So - first step is routinely walking to increase flexibility (if there really is a problem.) Ami gets up and down from the floor with ease (except in those 4 episodes over 2-3 years). He still does zoomies around the house if its been more than 4 days since Archer has stayed here. He walks up and down stairs with ease, hops in and out of the car without hesitation. I'm wondering if the bed and couch thing are either because the Archer and Z'ev are putz's. Or - Ami is very sensitive and frequently when he goes to climb on either the bed or the family room couch, I come running to pull up the sheets/blankets because Ami is all wet (the coverings are ALWAYS falling off, either the granddaughter, the dogs, husband's sleep schedule almost opposite of mine...etc etc etc

So its wait and see. I'll try the Dasuquin, see what happens after 6 weeks. THough it will be a tough call - 2 interventions at once (regular sustained exercise and the med)

Also, his weight is back up, that will be coming OFF!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Not sure which dosequin you are using but when I first got keno I had him on Flexadin Advanced and it did a good job getting him feeling good while I worked on getting him into shape and changing his diet for his HD. Not sure if it's any cheaper than the dosequin but if it is and you think you might need something long term it could be worth a try.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyTue Jan 29, 2019 5:40 pm

I'll have to look up the flexadin - never heard of it until a few minutes ago:  Just reread the whole Dakota's having trouble standing thread.  Funny - anytime anyone on any of the husky fb groups I belong to mention arthritis, I ALWAYS put up a link to that thread.  This time - I studied it.

The Dasuquin is just the plain one, no MSM.  Glucosamin, Chondroitin and the avocado/whatever sapro whatevers.  So..I will look up the flexadin stuff.

EDIT: Just looked it up. I'm faintly amused as I was wondering about adding chicken wings or feet as well as fish oil to his diet. The fish oil would be a tough one though - big boy is NOT fond of salmon at all! Hadn't thought about the Vit E though...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 10:34 am

Mine get the fish oil pills and the vitamin E pills. They suck them down before they even know they've had them. I have done the bottled fish oil. It didn't bother them either but the smell wasn't something I personally was fond of. Mine also get chicken feet and I had done the inclover jump treats for a while but tried some cherry hip treat by hip flex this last time. They like it. As I have always used my joint treats as pill pockets for kye's pred the change in formula by inclover and the tablet form of the hip flex has not helped me much with that portion but all see to be liked by the mutts and I haven't noticed them go down hill from the switch.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Ami's surprisingly picky about treats. Unless it's real meat but even then not always. Which is why reluctant to get any med in a chew. Eats his kibble with alacrity, though.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 9:14 pm

we do Dasuquin MSM on amazon, and a ton of other supplements

do you have a canine PT in the area, maybe he just needs some massage work......

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet EmptySat Feb 02, 2019 4:22 am

None that I know of, Jennifer. I've started myself. He luxuriates... As long as I don't get distracted a pull out a tuft of hair. We'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ami's Visit to the Vet   Ami's Visit to the Vet Empty

Back to top Go down

Ami's Visit to the Vet

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1