It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kymakel
Newborn
Newborn

Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I got my first Siberian Husky back in April! As a first time husky mom I tend to worry about every little thing, however, for the last couple of months I have noticed that my girl is very short compared to where she should be at 6 months old. She's 31 pounds but only 13 inches tall at the shoulder. The weirdest part is that 31 pounds seems like a very normal weight for her age so I'm not sure how her weight would be normal but her height is not? She's also not overweight in the slightest but I just had that confirmed by her vet to be safe. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced their pups being super short as puppies as well? Do you think there's a chance she'll still grow to a "normal" height?

I'd also like to note that her health and well being is far more important to me than her size ever will be but 13 inches tall is just SO short and she seems SO small haha. I'm more curious than concerned but would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!
Kylie
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Now squirt at 40 lbs is way overweight and she will be 7 in oct. She is also a mix but there is no welsh corgi in there even though thats usually what people think. Shes about 16 inches tall and should be about 32 lbs. I was worried about pituitary dwarfism and had her tested. Shes just short.

If you really want to know do a dna test. Id be curious if shes part klee kai
Back to top Go down
kymakel
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2019 5:02 pm

I did do a DNA test thinking the same thing! She's 88% Siberian Husky and 12% Malamute which I would think would make her taller if anything
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2019 6:05 pm

All I can add to this thread is "That's odd ..."
How about a picture of this miniature husky??

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 am

Ok so if you look up "miniature Siberian husky" its something people are actually breeding for by breeding dogs that are undersized but otherwise fit within breed standards. Its not a true mini just an intentionally bred small husky
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am

I would request a new test kit and a rerun. Without pictures it's hard to say much but going off your numbers, either your test kit was corrupted/mixed up when you sent it in and your results are wrong, or you are dealing with a dog that has a growth disease. The other option could be extreme malnutrition from neglect or illness.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 2:33 pm

I really think the mini husky trend may explain alot but something i came across recently is other then the Siberian and alaskan Huskies and the russian laika there is something called a labrador husky (real breed not a lab mix) and other types particularly the Navajo husky (type not breed)

One conclusion i have is mot all dna test are created equal. Ive had spider run 3 times all with the same results as far as content but wisdom was able to break down what types of wolf spider was not just the 78% wolf 22% sibe. I was then actually able to get her wolfy pedigree going 12 gens back on the arctic side and 7 gens back on the grey wolf side.

Dna is loads of fun. I love genetics, mostly ones that involve thoroughbreds and spanish barbs. When i wanted to be an equine vet i particularly wanted to do a combo of genetics and reproductive health. Had lots of internships in the field up until i broke my back and had a reality check about physically being able to be a large animal vet and i had 0 interest in small animals... nothing wrong with the animals but i dont like dealing with small animal owners
Back to top Go down
mitnworb
Newborn
Newborn
mitnworb

Male Join date : 2019-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 1:23 am

I have the same issue.  Willow is 9 mos and even everyone at the dog park say she is small.  She is about 45 pounds and in excellent health but noticeably smaller looking.  She is 23 inches up to her back

https://i.servimg.com/u/f47/20/09/05/41/20190810.jpg
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 am

45lbs 23 inches is small but within breed standards
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2019 8:02 am

If you read the breed standard 23" is well over for a well bred female

Per the breed standard
Height: Dogs, 21 to 23 1/2 inches at the withers. Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers.
Weight: Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds. Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds. Weight is in proportion to height.

Disqualification
Dogs over 23 1/2 inches and bitches over 22 inches.

Remember this is a MODERATE sized working dog- not so large to be mistaken for a draft animal nor so fine as to resemble a sprint animal

At 6mos old I would not expect adult height and at this point would not be concerned.  Weight should be proportionate to height so I'd watch she isn't too heavy for developing joints
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Mine are mixed. Never owned a purebred husky. When i go purebred is when i want a dog for a specific purpose. Growing up the pure dogs had jobs and the mutts were pets. Even now my German shepherd is my only dog with a real job. He does it well and takes it very seriously. Spider being a seizure alert animal was a fluke that she picked up herself without any type of training. Huskies wolves and wolfdogs are not what i think of when i think of service dogs, sibercaanes being the exception
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?   Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

Extremely short 6 month old Siberian Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1