It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stray
Puppy
Puppy

Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? Empty
PostSubject: Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?   Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 6:49 pm

Was thinking about attaching my husky to a scooter or bike, but worried is letting her pull me on sidewalk or asphalt bad for her feet? Should I try to stay only on gravel and grass?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?   Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 8:04 pm

Dog sneakers. Also helps with if the road is hot
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?   Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 8:26 pm

@lostmaniac I hope you mean "Also helps if the road is NOT hot"

@stray I'm not sure if I'd even think about it, even if were young enough to consider it. Unless they are exceptionally well trained Huskies are more apt to do things you don't want them to. Taking off after a squirrel or a rabbit might prove interesting ... if you like road rash.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?   Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 8:28 pm

Nope i meant dog sneakers help when the road is hot.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?   Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 11:43 pm

Well, gee, that isn't how I interpreted what you worte.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?   Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? EmptyMon May 01, 2023 12:38 am

So like these?
https://rifrufqueens.com/products/apollo-1-dog-boots?variant=42792958361753

Huskys let you put shoes on them? I'd kind expect a dog to kick/bite them off?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?   Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? EmptyMon May 01, 2023 3:14 am

Yep
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?   Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? EmptyMon May 01, 2023 10:01 am

So you are interested in bikejoring or scootjoring. Huskies can be great at this. My female is bike trained. I have a walky dog bikejoring attachment that offsets the dog to the side of the bike from the seat post so if they do dart after a squirrel then they are less apt to pull you over, though if you have a little more money I would suggest opting for the springer system instead.

I would not suggest shoes. Shoes that aren't fitted absolutely perfect can actually damage your dog's paws while running. I would suggest you get musher's secret and condition the paws. Paw pads are designed to protect the dogs feet from most things and covering them can prevent the dogs from being able to manage and read terrain. Shoes are more useful at protecting a paw if it has been damaged. If the surface is hot enough you need shoes then it's too hot to run on it anyway. I have shoes for mine and the only time I have ever used them was when we were walking on hot pavement I couldn't avoid.

As for being on sidewalks, most towns have an ordinance that prevents bikes or scooters from being on sidewalks. Bikes are technically perceived as vehicles and are frowned upon being up on sidewalks in many jurisdictions. Make sure that you are aware of the laws in your area before attempting to use sidewalks. It's very difficult to get a joring setup off of a sidewalk if a pedestrian comes along and you absolutely do not in any jurisdiction have right-of-way on the sidewalk over someone walking. A rails to trails conversion is you best bet type trail to train on. If you need to use a street find a very quiet alley or culdasac and take it easy. It will take a little time for feet to get used to pavement more so than it does for gravel.

PostSubject: Re: Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?   Husky - Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can I landmush my husky on sidewalks/streets?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1