It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stray
Puppy
Puppy

Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. Empty
PostSubject: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyWed Jun 07, 2023 11:33 pm

So the title pretty much explains it.

She has dried poo on her butt, a bit right below where it comes out. My attempts to clean it with some wet toilet paper have been severely severely protested followed by hiding in her kennel for an hour. She does not like her butt touched.

What do I do here?
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyThu Jun 08, 2023 4:13 am

man now I just feel bad... shes been acting like all sad and like shes mad at me all evening just because I tried to wipe off poo stuck on her butt fluff...
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 12:08 am

Spider is trained to jump in the shower and let me get it with the shower head that comes off.. took some work and she still sits down sometimes
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 12:32 am

shes so smart in some ways but so stupid in other ways...

its just like damn girl theres poo on your butt let me get it
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 12:51 am

Lostmaniac wrote:
Spider is trained to jump in the shower and let me get it with the shower head that comes off.. took some work and she still sits down sometimes

How do you even train them to not sit down and let you clean their butt?

Just periodically comb their butt or something as much as possible then give them a treat till they are desensitized?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 5:15 am

Get a grooming table with over head arm and grooming leads, one for front end, one for back end - they hold the dog in an upright position.

Or straddle you're dog at the shoulders facing the tail. Left hands under the belt just in front of hind legs, rough hand do the job. I've found lightly but firmly squeezing my thighs around Ami's shoulders somehow tends to quiet him. But work quickly, doesn't last long🙄
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 12:10 am

@stray you wont like the real answer. Brute force and herding her in the bathroom. Then picking her up and forcing her in the tub and shutting the glass doors after im in with her. I still have to herd her into the bathroom, sometimes its more like dragging her. But after several years of that she will atleast jump in by herself once she is trapped in the bathroom. And as far as the sitting down, she learned the sprayer can still get her sitting and the better behaved she is the faster it is over. Not sure if im getting doggy behavior with that last part or wolfy behavior. Not much on giving a wolf a bath online.

Dont be so impressed by spider tho. Ive had her since she was 4.5 weeks and she turned 8 in February. And i had to pay a 16 yr old $80 to watch her for 8 hours last week. She cant be left home alone, she is like a nonverbal toddler in that sense, and i dont trust her to go to doggy daycare. Lucky for me its summer and i have a spidersitter available.

Also more related to your post she has a narrowing of the orfice between her large and small intestine. Its actually a genetic problem huskies are known for, but it could also be from her getting parvo as a puppy. Either way i have been dealing with canine IBS for about 7ish years now.
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 12:35 am

OK I bought one of the "Grooming Hammocks" and actually got her into that without absurd protesting, then actually got a decent cleaning of her butt floof with a wet wipe. But a chunk of poo is actually dried on hard and interwoven with some hair, and she let off a whimper when I tried to pull it off, needs to be cut off I presume. Neutral Not going to get scissors near her in such a makeshift grooming setup. So I guess off to the professional groomer she's going to go.

She seemed less protesting of me this time. I guess the trick is just keep doing things to their edge of comfort level, then back off and give them a treat and some pets and show them it's all Okay? Then do some more in a few days or week until they are desensitized?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 12:41 am

So not a wipe but running warm water over it will soften it and then ot will come out. And actually you could put a few inches of water in the tub and then just let her sit to soften it.

I try not to go as far as the edge, but sometimes its necessary. Whatever you do, do it daily, make sure it always ends positively. And it make take alot longer then a week. I could walk you through clipper training at some point but that does not work on all dogs.
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 12:47 am

oh really? do it daily? Figured give them a bit more cool down time in between? But I guess if you are trying to get them used to something...

It was raining here and I did manage to force her to let me wipe her all down with a towel coming back in, and that did get better each time. I think maybe thats helped her get less panicked when I restrain her.

I probably need to get a better grooming table or harness if I were to use actual clippers or scissors around her. The hammock hanging off the door wasn't really stable and didn't keep her in a very good posture.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 1:04 am

If she was a yearling when i had my training barn i would have done it 3 or more times a day Until it didnt bother them. With my dogs i do training in a very similar way. I do alot of very short training sessions. And i make it fun. Spider is not quite sure about crawl yet and she prefers hand signals to voice commands. Squirt responds to both. Squirt i would have to tranq to get anywhere near her back end with scissors or clippers without it being a fight. So we do fight, i always win. Thats extremely important actually but it has to be done safely and i dont think you read your dog well enough for that. You need to do some trust building. And i think your timeline for what should happen when might be unrealistic.

Is she your first dog?
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. EmptyFri Jun 16, 2023 2:08 am

First I have owned, but I grew up with other friends dogs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.   Dried poo on butt won't let me clean. Empty

Back to top Go down

Dried poo on butt won't let me clean.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1