It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Coming when called

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
harmonytime
Acoustic Howler
harmonytime

Coming when called Empty
PostSubject: Coming when called   Coming when called EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Evo is an excellent pup. He is fairly well behaved indoors and on a leash (finally) but when he's playing or on a "mission" he doesn't come when called. He's in the zone and it's a hell of a time to break his concentration. cyclops

He also springs straight up in the air when he sees other dogs and people he knows. He is almost uncontrollable when he sees his girlfriend (large terrier mix who is more ADHD than him and I swear you can hear violins playing when they spot each other!) and that's ON the leash. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I've never seen a GSD do these things and the pull is DEFINITELY at Husky strength!

Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Coming when called Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming when called   Coming when called EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 2:41 pm

Wow I'm surprised you're getting that part of him. I would have figured you'd have an easier time with training a shepherd mix over a full husky. Lucky you! Best advice I have would be working on recall and not pulling on the lead during walks. Hope someone else has a little better advice to offer. Smile

Edit to add: This is probably a worthless piece of advice but it's something I noticed a change in with my boy. Before we started taking him to dog parks and letting him meet just about every friendly dog we came across on walks he would go crazy when he saw another dog. Now that he meets so many on walks and plays with tons at the dog parks, he generally could care less about other dogs we see when out on walks. Just something I noticed with mine, I don't know about anyone else.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Coming when called Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming when called   Coming when called EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Edit to add: This is probably a worthless piece of advice but it's something I noticed a change in with my boy. Before we started taking him to dog parks and letting him meet just about every friendly dog we came across on walks he would go crazy when he saw another dog. Now that he meets so many on walks and plays with tons at the dog parks, he generally could care less about other dogs we see when out on walks. Just something I noticed with mine, I don't know about anyone else.[/quote]

I hope this happens with us! I just found out the dog park near me that used to be not fenced in has been fenced in so I am going to take them there this week and if it is a nice park will try to make it a weekly trip and I hope they will settle down when we come across other dogs while walking. Sierra will jump up into the air on to her hind legs and just pull me; it is like taming a wild horse!
Back to top Go down
harmonytime
Acoustic Howler
harmonytime

Coming when called Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming when called   Coming when called EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Edit to add: This is probably a worthless piece of advice but it's something I noticed a change in with my boy. Before we started taking him to dog parks and letting him meet just about every friendly dog we came across on walks he would go crazy when he saw another dog. Now that he meets so many on walks and plays with tons at the dog parks, he generally could care less about other dogs we see when out on walks. Just something I noticed with mine, I don't know about anyone else.

I put something the first time and it's disappeared. Ugh.

I think this will happen with Evo as well! He's just so used to medium and smaller dogs that the big dogs intimidate (GSDs for example) him. The smaller dogs don't understand how to play his way - his favorite game is "Does your head fit in my mouth?" and dogs and owners don't like this! It's been like this since he was a pup and hasn't stopped - no matter what we do. Very hyper medium sized dogs don't seem to mind this play but our cats do! He was very pleased to find that the new kitten fits entirely in his mouth! LOL

My other concern is at the dog park letting him off the lead. I'm afraid he'll start running and just keep going! Or intimidate another dog and be so far away I can't intervene - does that make sense?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Coming when called Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming when called   Coming when called EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 3:19 pm

I can understand your concern about your first time at the dog park. I had the very same concerns myself the first time I took mine. Smile First off I'd make sure you take him to a fenced off lead dog park since his recall is not all that great right now. If he's in a fenced park you don't have to worry about him running off. Our dog park has like 8 ft fences and are double gated so it's pretty secure.

I made sure my first visit to the dog park was a day and time when it wouldn't be too busy so that I had "less" to worry about so to speak. I took him on a Tuesday afternoon around noon or so I think. Our dog park is divided into big dog and small dog sections so I took him into the big dog section and kept him on lead to see how he'd react to the other dogs that came over to greet him. The sniffed each other just fine and no signs of aggression from anyone so I let him off the lead and he was off. He had so much fun and of course I no longer existed once he was off the lead but after about 30 minutes of nonstop running and playing he was more than happy to come back and see mom once he was exhausted. Laughing And he doesn't come back to me every time but he's generally so tired that I can walk right up to him and put the lead on and leave. I just always go with the mindset that I'll be there for at least 30 minutes before he's ready to leave.

Occasionally there are little spats at the dog park and most owners are quick to intervene. Generally a loud distraction noise (could be an "Ah!", a clap or even shaking a can of coins) and getting between the dogs resolves things pretty quickly. Just make sure to always keep a close eye on your dog just in case so that you can intervene immediately before things escalate should anything happen. Our dog park also has a nice little "timeout" box that you can use if your dog gets too rowdy or needs to be separated temporarily.

Acoustic Howler
harmonytime

Coming when called Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming when called   Coming when called EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 3:22 pm

LOVE the can of coins idea! That should wake him up! That may also work on walks - he is much better and doesn't pull anymore when we are alone. That only occurs when he wants to say hello to EVERYONE! LOL He's the most wonderful dog but just a lot of energy!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Coming when called Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming when called   Coming when called EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 3:24 pm

We met Danielle and Gunny at a dog park on Sat and it was the first time we had taken them to a dog park and I had all the fears you do, I even got a muzzle for Sierra because I was afraid she might bite another dog! We got to the park and walked in with there leashes still on and let the other dogs come up to us and we watched how they reacted and when we felt it was good we let them go. After some time and Sierra digging her head into the ground we took off her muzzle and she did fine no aggression at all. When we called them they did come to us which is something we did not think they would do since they never seem to come to us at home. I think you will be fine taking him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coming when called Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming when called   Coming when called Empty

Back to top Go down

Coming when called

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1