It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Growth Rates?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Wow he's huge!
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:32 pm

I'm beginning to think my boy Mylo isn't growing right. He's nearing 4 months and is short. He's gotten longer but the 3-4month old sibes I've seen are much taller and have longer legs. Maybe he's gonna have a late growth spurt? What he doesn't have in height he has in fur hahaha
My boy was slightly smaller than the rest of the litter. Could that be it? The last time I took him to the vet for his 2nd round of shots he only weighed 7.8 lbs.
Then I see a post here of a 3 month old 21-27lbs pup!?!?
I know every pup is different but this seems extreme.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:31 pm

davecerv wrote:
What he doesn't have in height he has in fur hahaha

I know every pup is different but this seems extreme.

You would be surprised at how much that fur plays a part in how short their legs look. My girl Mishka *is* pretty small still, and I thought her legs looked stubby, lol, compared to the rest of her. It wasnt til I had her spayed and they shaved her underside that I realized her legs were in perfect proportion to the rest of her. I was like "whoa!! she does have legs!!", hahaha". Mishka's not a wooly but her coat is VERY thick and gave her the appearance of being stubby.

As far as boys go, my boy Kohdi (who's coat is also way thick) weighed about 9 lbs when I got him at 9 wks old. So I'd say Mylo is pretty small BUT there are so many variables that I wouldnt be concerned about it. I wish I would have kept track of his weights while he grew so I could give you something to compare to.

There were 4 pups in Mishka's litter. Mishka and one of her brothers were the same size, where her sister and other brother were slightly larger.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Hmmm now that you mention underside fur...Mylo has a bunch of hair there lol
I'll try to take a pic of Mylo from the side standing up to post here. I have a ton of pictures of him but none of him just standing still haha
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 6:01 pm

Alrighty got to snap some pics of Mylo standing still (took the pics quickly)
3 months old, weighed 7.8lbs at last vet visit about a week ago.
I think he's small/short for 3 months.
growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 Photo_14

growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 Photo_13
I love how the collar disappears lol
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:12 pm

How certain are you he's a full Husky?  

If he really is that small, plus with that coat, there's a whole lot of unHusky genetics going on, it would seem.

Have you heard of a Pomsky?  It's a designer breed by mixing a Husky with a Pomeranian, artificially granted.   These dogs look a lot like Mylo.  

If something like this is the case then he is growing just fine.

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Should I take a DNA test?
And yeah he should be full husky cause we met his parents before he was even born. And they are very much husky. The breeder only has huskies too. Now I feel like asking deeper questions about the sire/dam.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 10:49 pm

I believe I read somewhere in here that Mylo is a wooly? The wooly's, to me, appear "lighter", as in not as *heavy* as the standard Husky. For example, Amy's (amymeme) Ami has a very fine, almost delicate bone structure. To me, that might mean that the wooly's don't weigh in as quite as much as the standard (I could be TOTALLY wrong though)...that and Mylo was the smallest of the litter might just mean he'll be slightly smaller. I'll have to go through my vet receipts (Cuz Im not even sure Kohdi weighed 9 lbs at 9 wks...seems kinda small to me) but I *believe* Mishka at 3 months was only like 14 or 15 lbs...and she is pretty small (she's 30 something lbs now at 9 months) so Mylo isnt that far off her weight at the time. When Jeff mentioned the Pomsky, I remembered them looking a bit Pomeranian whereas Mylo looks ALL Husky, but I actually went and looked at a Pomsky site and there are some that do indeed look full on Husky. I have no idea though if there are any in a breeding for Pomsky's that do turn out full grown (as in full grown Huskies) and you followed up by saying both Mylo's parents are full grown Huskies, so that would be the only way I can see a Pomsky popping out of a two full grown Husky breeding.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 11:05 pm

You could do a DNA test if you really wanted to know, but I bet it is expensive.  

It's really his size that is the most questionable.  His wooly coat and the color is not that common, but could be full Husky.

There was a Pomsky that showed up on here about, oh, 6 months ago or so. The person claimed it was a full Husky, but there was no way. And then, the funniest part was that he/she produced a photo of two adult Huskies and then said "look, there, I proved it. My dog is a Husky."

Well, in the background of the photo was a tiny little Pomeranian with this ridiculous look on his face. No exaggeration. I swear, it was like an episode of Jerry Springer. It was amazing.

I wish I could find that photo. It's on this site someplace.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 11:23 pm

seattlesibe wrote:

Well, in the background of the photo was a tiny little Pomeranian with this ridiculous look on his face. No exaggeration. I swear, it was like an episode of Jerry Springer.  It was amazing.  

OMG that is too funny, LOLOL

@David...Did your vet mention anything about Mylo's weight? On Kohdi's initial vet visit (just a day or 2 after I brought him home at 9 wks) the vet told me "he was healthy, just slightly underweight" so I'm pretty sure there is a standard they go by.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:38 am

Artic_Wind wrote:

seattlesibe wrote:

Well, in the background of the photo was a tiny little Pomeranian with this ridiculous look on his face. No exaggeration. I swear, it was like an episode of Jerry Springer.  It was amazing.  

OMG that is too funny, LOLOL

@David...Did your vet mention anything about Mylo's weight? On Kohdi's initial vet visit (just a day or 2 after I brought him home at 9 wks) the vet told me "he was healthy, just slightly underweight" so I'm pretty sure there is a standard they go by.

Well maybe I should talk about Mylo's rough start.
Shortly after I had him in my possesion at 8 weeks..after two days…he got parvo.
He survived. Maybe that slowed him down? Wild theory but just felt like explaining that.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:44 am

Omg after taking a closer look at the pedigrees…It looks like my boy is a inbred pup. Is this really bad??
This could explain why he's like this. No
I guess I should expect more "off" things in the future.
This doesn't change the love my girl and I have for Mylo though Smile
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 3:48 am

Its actually pretty common...breeders often do it when they feel the dog has a certain quality/qualities worth retaining. Bad? I guess it depends on who you ask. There's a method they are supposed to use though, I just don't remember offhand what it is.

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:06 am

Inbreeding is bad, yes.  

But your puppy Mylo is not bad, nope.  He might have a health hiccup down the line, but most dogs do .

It's impossible to predict.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:36 pm

I never even thought about that being a thing!
Ever since I got this little boy I've learned that when you think you're well informed and prepared about something...you got another thing coming lol
Hopefully Mylo is with us for a good while.
I should ask the breeder how the rest of the litter is doing/looking.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

Female Join date : 2014-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Sounds like you've gotten some good advice on her weight/size. I just wanted to say how adorable Shiloh is! I love the black outlines around her ears. She looks a lot like one of my puppy's litter mates. Our breeder very rarely gets a fluffy Sibe. So cute! Smile

Edited to say: OOps, my bad! Just realized the start of this thread is almost 4 years old! Haha. I wonder how big Shiloh turned out to be and what her coloring was finally listed as on her AKC paperwork?
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

Female Join date : 2014-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Hey David,

Mylo is so precious! I love his tininess! I agree with Jeff -- he may be inbred but that doesn't necessarily mean he is definitely going to have health problems related to that down the line. You just never know. Enjoy your little guy and try not to stress about it. Smile
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Jeff, I really hope you can find that thread because I don't remember it and would love to see it.
Back to top Go down
Nopholom
Newborn
Newborn
Nopholom

Male Join date : 2014-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 6:55 pm

David,

the breeder I got my Grif from actually got 3 new boys shortly before Grif came home, the trio are all a week older but a lot smaller than Grif and his littermates, despite being pure breed, KC reg and short coated. They look similar in build to Mylo so while it's not show standard it does seem to be an 'accepted' stature/physique depending on breeding purpose (she explained to me why they were different stature than her leggy lot but I can't currently remember the exact reasoning) so I'm not sure I'd worry too much about his size, as long as he's happy and healthy, right? Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:02 pm

Well of course it is "accepted" by someone breeding these dogs with any intentionality, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable in the larger sense. Puppies sell and that's the only reason people generally breed their dogs.

Just wanted to throw that in here. I don't think this is the thread for a discussion about the ethics of breeding.

There's the issue of breeding and there's the dog named Mylo owned by David. This thread should stick to the latter.
Back to top Go down
Nopholom
Newborn
Newborn
Nopholom

Male Join date : 2014-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:58 pm

I apologise if my reassurance via example hedged on something off topic, that wasn't my intent, my overall feeling stays the same though, as long as he's a happy healthy pup and loved and cared for to the best of David's abilities, I really wouldn't worry about him being a little short.
I can't imagine it'd directly affect his quality of life at least, and it's not something that can feasibly "be fixed", so here's hoping it's not a sign of any future issues because he seems like a lovely dog and he's already been through so much bless him.
Back to top Go down
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Hey guys, thanks to all of you for reading about my boy and giving opinions/theories! wave
Yes Mylo is a healthy and happy pup. My girlfriend and I love him so much.
Him being small doesn't change how we feel about him at all but it's just we're curious about this lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   growth - Husky Growth Rates? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Growth Rates?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4