It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice on walking Mya and Kody together

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:23 am

I finally took Kody and Mya on their walk TOGETHER on the trail near the MetroRail train last night and guess what? He was fine with the train passing! Looked up a little scared (I ignored that and kept going like nothing), but he didn't sit and refuse to walk at any point. I think Mya being there makes him feel more comfortable or something Very Happy

Still had the craziness prior to leaving the house though and got semi dragged down the street for the first few minutes..lol. Oh, and saw a group of cats right before getting home. That was NOT EASY!!! Geez I think Kody pulls more than Mya now when he sees small animals! Rolling Eyes Trying holding those 2 after running 3 1/2 miles and doing lunges. HA! Think I'm sore today!!?! LOL!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 11:04 am

Way to go guys!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:42 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Way to go guys!

Just a little progess, but it's something! Ivan came with me to walk them today and it took 15min of us telling them to "sit & wait" before they calmed down and we could leave the house. Well before Kody calmed down I should say. Mya after a few minutes sat by me and only complained a few times, but Kody...geez...going bonkers! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Baby steps, Melissa. As you guys practice the waiting for calm more and more, the wait for Kody to settle should get shorter and shorter. Can't expect instant results but with time, patience and practice you'll get there.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:48 pm

I know, I just get frustrated =\ I must say that Mya has shown improvement. Didn't attack him while he was going nuts...even when he jumped on her complaining. I think she's getting it and he'll learn from her...I hope! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Aww, he will get it eventually. Just gotta give him time, he'll learn.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Finally, I was able to leave the house with them without hubby's help!!! YAYY!!! Given that I walked them alone around the block once, came home, let them hang out for a few, and then headed out with both of them! Little drama, but not even close to the usual!

Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 MyaKodywalk
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Awesome guys!

Kody looks SO MUCH like Cheyenne from the back!

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 8:43 pm

You would think walking 2 together wouldn't be such a hassle compared to your FOUR! LOL! I saw the video of you walking them and I was like OMG, they are so good and controlled affraid

Kody's everything looks like Cheyenne...LOL! They're too cute!!!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Yay! I got home from work and started leashing them up and it went pretty smooth. No walking each one individually before the "together walk" and no help from hubby either! Was a bit of a process to lock the door, but after a minute they sat and waited for me to do so.

WOOOHOOO!!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Go melissa!!!

The door locking get better in time

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 am

That is so GREAT!

And it took 4 years to get these 4 walking nice! One at a time!

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:45 am

Woohoo! Excellent progress so far!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 am

This morning didn't go so smooth! Mad I mean it wasn't horrible, but Kody did throw a crying like they're killing him tantrum while leashing them up. Didn't last too long and we were able to leave, but I could NOT lock the door behind me. Hubby was home so it's ok, but when he's not i need to lock the door!

Another obstacle that I ran into....picking up their poop! That was a process because I can't hold them both with one hand. I had to bend down and do it with the hand that I was holding Mya with and that was not easy! LOL

Other than that...yes...definitely making progress...woohooo!!!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:33 pm

Are you still using the prong collar to walk them on? You may want to get a walking belt Melissa, you can still hold the leashes with your hands... but for those times you need a free hand, it's there! We're getting ours soon.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Yep, still have the prong collar. Unfortunately I can't walk them without them Rolling Eyes I should look into walking belt for times that I do need a free hand, but I don't know about actually walking them on it. I'm afraid that they'll pull and take me down! LOL
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Yeah, that's why I said you can still hold onto them by their leashes while walking but if you need a hand, the walking belt can at least hold one (or both!) while you scoop LOL or lock the door.

How are they wearing the prongs Melissa? They really shouldn't be able to pull at all really if they're on right.

http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

And totally OT but that leerburg kennel breeds GSD's and a year or 2 ago on craigslist someone was rehoming a GSD from that kennel. I wanted it sooooo bad. lol K back on topic!

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 pm

arooroomom wrote:
They really shouldn't be able to pull at all really if they're on right.

thats a good link and confirms that i have jacks in the right place but man if he sees something he wants he pulls hard still even with the prongs engaged. wonder if it has to do with the think fur and skin the huskies have....

Melissa do you have a lock on the inside of the door on the handle you can pre lock and not need the key for? thats what we do for walks i don't lock the dead bolt and i can turn the lock from the inside so when i close the door the handle lock is locked and no key needed till we get back.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Hmmm, it's high up, but not that high because it's not too tight on Kody and won't stay. I've tried taking off one of the prongs, but then I think it's too tight scratch Regardless, it does help with the pulling though. On a harness or regular collar he pulls 80% more!

Jenn, Mya will pull hard also when she sees something (even with it in place) like if nothing is happening. It must be that though husky coat!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Oh, and nope I don't have a lock on the inside door handle Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Have you considered getting a trainer to help with some tips? I know usually people looking in from the outside and providing help is really helpful. We had a lot of owners at my work who had the worst time with walking their dogs! And even with just the staff correcting their walking and everything, they got so much better.. and at home training with our trainer usually was a huge improvement as long as the parents kept up with it!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Oops Heather, I didn't see your reply until now. I've really wanted to get a trainer, but unfortunately we can't afford it right now. We're in the process (hopefully) of getting a new SUV and saving as much money as we can to eventually buy a house (not anytime soon, but we need to start somewhere). RIGHT NOW i REALLY NEED ONE THOUGH!

I don't know what's happened the past 2 days, but wow Kody has been back to crazy before leaving the house again. It's not too bad in the mornings, but the evenings he goes bonkers. Mya is better as far as not attacking him and she sits by the door. Still jumps, but eventually she gets that she needs to sit before leaving.

Took me 15min to leave the house this evening! To then get soaking wet in a major thunderstorm that appeared outta nowhere! Evil or Very Mad We were 15min away from the house and had to walk home in the pouring rain! I don't care about me, but they were soaked!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 9:48 pm

First let me say that after Mya COMPLETELY stops jumping we ummm...MUST replace that door! No point in trying now when she's just going to continue messing it up Rolling Eyes

Well here is video of us before our walk today. Please don't mind my very stylish attire Wink I got home from work, put on sneakers, and was ready to go.

They are STILL crazy, but I'd like to think that it's a tiny bit "better" what do you guys think? After we left the house ...they were kinda dragging me so I had to make them "sit and wait" for a minute and then we were fine. I keep reminding myself that patience and consistency will work!!!! It's just real hard to remain calm!

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Mel... THAT IS SO MUCH BETTER! You are crazy if you think it's not a SIGNIFICANT improvement!

My advice would be to use your body to block the door. We have a lot of dogs at work who go flat out nuts when they see their parents at the end of the day. Sometimes we can't even collar them. So i'll stand in front of them and block the view so they can't see their owners. It makes a huge difference. I think blocking the view and access to the door would really help with Mya and her jumping. She is in a trance looking at that door, you've gotta break it so you can get through to her brain. Claim that door girl!

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 11:17 am

Yeah, you're right. I just watched the first video and yep definitely better! I do the body blocking with Mya, but sometimes it doesn't work because I have to leash up Kody also, but she does listen and sit down when I'm doing it so I think that's helped a bit even when I'm not blocking it. Sometimes it's a little worse than yesterday because they had just been playing in the yard so were a little tired.

Taking them again now for a short walk before I go run some errands so let's see how this goes!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on walking Mya and Kody together   Advice on walking Mya and Kody together - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on walking Mya and Kody together

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next