It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

started driving me crazy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

started driving me crazy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 8:31 pm

she is right now in the bathroom because she started biting me and my girlfriend and shes barking and i tried putting my fist in her mouth , not forcefully but just to try what i heard as reply here . and i tried pushing her lower jaw on her chest and it also didnt work out ... ill do it over and over again if someone tells me that it works after a while but its hard for me to know if im doing the right thing and not torturing a puppy with no constructive reason ( i dont mean torturing but , you know , causing her uncomfort with my fist in her mouth chewing )

so when she started barking and biting me i give her a rope or some toy to chew but that becomes boring after couple minutes . i would like to have some toy for her to chew and bite due to the teething and not my leg and arms Very Happy
any suggest on that ? what should i do ? tnx
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 8:38 pm

All the tricks that we have used helped us. Your problem is that you're too afraid to be consistent because you think that it's not working. You're not torturing your pup, but you ARE confusing her by not choosing the same method and sticking with it. Whether you put your hand in her mouth or clamp her mouth shut, choose one and stick with it for MONTHS. These are not things that go away overnight or even in a few days. You need to be a consistent trainer.

started driving me crazy - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 pm

When Mishka was young she had a really bad mouthing issue. My arms were literally red and bleeding. If you don't get it under control now, that's what you'll be looking at. When Mishka did it I put my thumb on her tongue and pressed while saying "No mouth" if she did it again I put her away.

Huskies scream and bark and carry on for all eternity. They are beyond stubborn and are more "child like" than any other breed i've ever been with. They throw temper tantrums, they talk back. It doesn't mean you're doing something wrong, it means you have a Husky.

You need to pick a method and stick with it. At the end of the day the dog needs to understand that putting it's mouth on you is not an option.

If you don't have a crate, get one. They are FANTASTIC. You will need to get up during the night to let the dog out. The crate shouldn't be too big, otherwise it's useless. You can purchase a large crate with a divider and make their space bigger as they grow. They should only be able to lay down and turn around.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Also, what time of the day does this biting and barking happen most often? When was her last walk? How far or long do you walk her?

Our puppy goes CrAzY after 4:00 or 5:00 pm if he has not had his second walk of the day yet! At 3 months old we would have to go on "exploring" walks for about 15-20 minutes twice per day. Now, at 9 months, we're in the re-evaluation phase... One mile twice a day does not seem to be enough anymore. My husband also has wrestle time where Sabaka is allowed to mouth lightly and ram into him. It's a crazy time, but I think it helps teach the dog not to bite too hard. They will play and then Bob declares, "All done", and Sabaka walks away.

Remember, Huskies LOVE their people and want to be with them. She will bark and demand attention if she feels you are giving your girlfriend more attention than you are giving her. You are the alpha, but need to make sure that you are a fair leader of your "pack" and that Luna is getting enough attention and exercise.
Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Also, what time of the day does this biting and barking happen most often? When was her last walk? How far or long do you walk her?

Our puppy goes CrAzY after 4:00 or 5:00 pm if he has not had his second walk of the day yet! At 3 months old we would have to go on "exploring" walks for about 15-20 minutes twice per day. Now, at 9 months, we're in the re-evaluation phase... One mile twice a day does not seem to be enough anymore. My husband also has wrestle time where Sabaka is allowed to mouth lightly and ram into him. It's a crazy time, but I think it helps teach the dog not to bite too hard. They will play and then Bob declares, "All done", and Sabaka walks away.

Remember, Huskies LOVE their people and want to be with them. She will bark and demand attention if she feels you are giving your girlfriend more attention than you are giving her. You are the alpha, but need to make sure that you are a fair leader of your "pack" and that Luna is getting enough attention and exercise.

haha shes always barking ! shes not barking only when something is her mouth and when shes sleeping at night and at day , because we play and cuddle and i play with her that game with the rope an then she gets a bit tired and lay for 20 minutes . she barked today at us when we had frencfries at the bed ... then i gave her food because i thought maybe shes hungry but she wanted our food ... Razz
i walk her twice a day for about 15 20 minutes , i let her off the leash and she runs on the field and we play a bit and thats it
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 pm

loona wrote:
she barked today at us when we had frencfries at the bed ... then i gave her food because i thought maybe shes hungry but she wanted our food ... Razz
That's a great way to teach her how to bark and beg....

Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 pm

ill try shutting her mouth and then put her in the wc for few minutes ... i dont really have the money and the space for crate , and i live in a flat so i know she would like to live in the house with the garden but ill be moving soon maybe on college so maybe ill get somewhere nicer when she grow up . im lonely sometimes and i wanted her to be always with me so i dont feel so lonely . hope it all goes well ... because i have another dog ( shes not present at the time , she will come tomorrow with my mom , shithzu , named runa Smile for some time and we havent did anything with her and she is very good . i know huskyes need more attention and everything but i had in my mind for a bit that luna is going to be just fine without many practice . i yell at her and say NO when she barks . ill keep up with the work .
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Please please please please DO NOT let her off of her leash. She will run away! She sticks around now because she's only 3months, but give her a few weeks and she will realize that she can RUN. Husky's RUN and FAST so the chances of catching her aren't great. If she has good recall she MIGHT listen, but that takes ALOT OF TRAINING especially with a husky.

Your best bet if you don't want to loose Loona is to keep on her a leash at all times when not in the house.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:07 pm

started driving me crazy - Page 3 931307
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:10 pm

If you yell at a barking dog you may actually be reinforcing that behavior. Your yell is like a bark back at them. You should say something like "No barking", but try to keep your voice down but also say it forcefully like you are serious.

This is strange to me that you have such a vocal husky. Most are rather quiet. Just be consistent with your training...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:20 pm

loona wrote:
i walk her twice a day for about 15 20 minutes , i let her off the leash and she runs on the field and we play a bit and thats it
Oh, I missed that! Melissa is ABSOLUTELY right! Huskies are not off leash dogs. Yes, she sticks by you now, but in a few months she WILL run away and then you won't have her anymore. Puppies lure people into a false sense of security because they tend to stick close to their owners. However, once your girl hits her teenage rebellion years, she is going to test her boundaries and make a run for it. PLEASE do not let her off leash in a non-fenced area!

Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:12 am

I often drop Appa's leash while brushing him outside (it's a strictly outside exercise while he's blowing his coat) and just today he tried to make a break for it. In my panic I mostly tackled him instead of going for his leash. You could see it in his eyes, he was going to run for miles... Never. Go. Off. Leash.
Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 2:41 am

Koda wrote:
loona wrote:
Oh, I missed that! Melissa is ABSOLUTELY right! Huskies are not off leash dogs. Yes, she sticks by you now, but in a few months she WILL run away and then you won't have her anymore. Puppies lure people into a false sense of security because they tend to stick close to their owners. However, once your girl hits her teenage rebellion years, she is going to test her boundaries and make a run for it. PLEASE do not let her off leash in a non-fenced area!

ok . I didnt know that ... today we have been outside for a half an hour and she was off the leash and i got early and we got out at 6:30 . i didnt know she would run because she runs and then i call her and whistle ššššš and she comes running back to me . shes so happy when shes running and i know she likes to run . but ok . no more of that :/
and im shutting her mouth closed when shes biting , it seems like already shes biting less ... but my hands are a bit bloody and scratchy , hope she will loose that habbit when i train her . its hard sometimes not knowing what to do ...
and now when we came back she is squeling and i dont know what to do . she is probably bored :/
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:26 am

loona wrote:
Koda wrote:
loona wrote:

ok . I didnt know that ... today we have been outside for a half an hour and she was off the leash and i got early and we got out at 6:30 . i didnt know she would run because she runs and then i call her and whistle ššššš and she comes running back to me . shes so happy when shes running and i know she likes to run . but ok . no more of that :/
These are all characteristics of huskies. Do yourself a favor and google "siberian husky" and read about them, their personalities, and characteristics. The number one thing that it will say is that they run and should NEVER be trusted off leash.

Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:29 am

ok thank you for all your help . i dont feel comfortable here so i wont be visiting this theme anymore . no hard feelings . you can lock it
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:32 am

That was an honest suggestion. That was not being mean or snarky. That was an honest to god suggestion. I think it will help you. I would have pointed you to a thread here if we had it... but I don't think we do, so I suggested you google it!

ETA: This is the closest thing we have to an "About the Husky" thread... So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky, but you already have a husky so I didn't want to be rude by pointing this thread out. But perhaps it will help you realize what you should and can expect?

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 9:35 am

loona wrote:
and now when we came back she is squeling and i dont know what to do . she is probably bored :/
And why is she squealing? Where is she that she's squealing? Your post confuses me.

Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:03 am

She's probably being a stupid Husky. Just wait until that squeal turns into a full volume cry and howl. My Husky is fairly quiet, but I know one that is loud and pretty much non-stop at the worst times.

If a Saint puppy requires constant entertainment when awake, I can't imagine a Husky. You're going to need some head games for her, and some creativity on your part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: started driving me crazy   started driving me crazy - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

started driving me crazy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3