It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Now you'll see what I deal with...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 12:03 am

MelissaI wrote:
Yours just wait patiently by the door????

Mine do! It took the staring quietly thing at first, but mine come straight to the door, sit and wait patiently now. I can still see the excitement in them... their tails are waggin and they sit and stare at me intently but they make no noise and they wait for me to get everything together and hooked up. I had to work on them when I opened the door too. They would be quiet and patient until I opened the door, then Willow would try to shoot out. I would just pull her back tell her to sit and repeat until she calmy walked out the door. We do have days I have to remind her her manners, but she remembers very quickly. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 12:06 am

In the morning it's a little more hectic but they're good about it. Mickey is the worst and peeps and cries and UGH. But he sits and stays so I guess I gotta take what I can get, right? lol

First thing I do is claim the door, because the girls will run to the door and shove both their noses in the crack and just stand there- totally ignoring anything I say. So I walk right up and basically shove them out of the way with my body lol They have to sit to get the leashes attached and have to "wait" while I open the door and step out. If someone tries to get a foot over the threshold I close the door and start all over. Takes about a minute probably to get everyone situated and waiting for the release. But i've been working on this same routine ever since we first got Mickey! You just gotta stick to your guns!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 12:12 am

Kale gets excited but he sits and waits for me to exit the door first and for me to invite him outside. Still working on him bolting tho lol I would like him to walk out and not yank me across the steps lol Still a work in progress lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 12:12 am

MelissaI wrote:
Yes, both G&Swill sit and wait by the door. Ginger used to charge the door, and if given the chance, she used to bolt out (which she has- twice- and we had to go chasing her down in the neighborhood).

With Ginger, I used 'body blocking', and physical 'touches' while I stood over her. You can't get frustrated or lose patience - they'll sense that. It didn't take long, but Ginger sits at least 8 ft away from the door and I can have my back to her with the door open while I talk to whoever is outside.

If anyone ever heard me speak to her in the beginning when we first adopted her, one might think I was a bitch. I didn't yell, but my voice was stern and loud.

Storm was a little easier, but I still had to teach him charging the door is not OK. He still pushes his boundaries when someone is at the door where he wants to be AT the door, but if I ask him to 'back up', he'll give me space.

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 12:15 am

Rogue is usually asleep by the door so she's always in place when it's walk time and when it's time to go, lol, and Koda is usually chilling somewhere and I just say "Koda, walk!" And he will walk to wherever I am, get his harness and leash on, and then we leave. It takes me maybe 30 seconds to get them out the door.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 12:48 am

When Frankie thinks he's going for a walk he will follow me around the house and keep going to the door we usually leave out of. If I am not preparing for a walk, he just stares at me, keeps following, and then will stand by the door. If he thinks I forgot about him, he will come look for me and run back to the door. When I am not taking him for a walk he just lets out a sigh and lays down near me. When it is time for a walk, he sits. I usually put a backpack on him for walks, so I tell him "get dressed" and he bows his head into the backpack (it's really cute). Like Kristina, I claim the door and I tell him to wait once the door is open. Obviously I don't own the front door after this weeks little door dash so we will be practicing that again this weekend.

Frankie used to bite at the lock trying to turn it to unlock while pushing down on the lever handle. I could not believe my eyes as I watched him do this. It was pretty funny. He actually almost got it once.

But we have a pretty good routine especially in the morning. He usually takes a car ride with me to take my son to school and then we go for a walk when we get home. Practicing to "wait" while trying to get out of the car is still a work in progress.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 2:57 am

That snoop pic had me rolling! :LOL: And that video had me affraid

Everyone has given really good advice! This is a great bunch of husky owners on here!

And it's fantastic that you're so open to advice and that you posted the video. It's a great video to use as a teaching aid, since it pinpoints what your solutions will be. I've seen your videos where you train them, so you obviously know what you're doing and just need a few tips (like we all do!).

To summarize what everyone else said:

1. Less talking - more staring at them.
-Other than giving them a command once, do not speak. If our dogs don't listen the first time, I stare them down and then they listen. The eye contact and focus on them is very important.
-Do not repeat commands.
-Do not have a conversation with them.
-Use a lower tone of voice. If you sound excited (a typical female high pitched voice), they will continue to be excitable.

2. More stern tone of voice.
-I noticed Kody settled down after your husband said one command, once. Some basics on giving commands : http://www.raisingspot.com/training/dog-training-basics-commands

3. A little gentle physical guidance to complete a command is fine. Force them to sit, gently. Use bodyblocking. Do not give them commands unless you can make them obey. Give the command once, and enforce it.
(http://www.atlanticstatesbriardclub.org/voice.htm)

4. Withdraw attention to correct them.
-When Mya jumps, turn your back and ignore her.
-Do not allow her to disrespect you - she's treating you like a playmate, not the pack leader.
-Same with Kody and the biting. Yell "ouch" and turn your back on him. Correct them by taking away your attention.

5. When the craziness starts getting outta hand, ignore them and go have a beer.
-Right not, they're getting rewarded for the craziness with a walk. Only give them the walk once they settle down. NILIF.

I know it sounds simple - but it just takes time and consistency. And it's tough when it's two that are setting each other off. They'll get in their new routine when you enforce it. Hang in there!

They love you, being stern and setting boundaries will just make them love you more!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:02 am

[quote="MelissaI"]
arooroomom wrote:

"consistent vigilant bigger pain in the ass" now that was funny! LOL!!! It takes me about 3min to let them out into the yard b/c I have them sit before going out and then when they see that i'm starting to open the sliding door they get up...then the process repeats again. I think I annoy the crap outta them! I have to try that when it comes to the walks!!!

Sounds like that's the key! Try the same thing! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:11 am

i'm sorry, but i was laughing so hard, and i had to make my boyfriend watch it.

anywho, i understand why you're frustrated, i would be too since i'd get so pissed if mine did that
but wow kody, what a little brat omg! embry tries that crap with the collar, but he doesn't do it nearly that bad..
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 9:51 am

My goodness Melissa!!! You have such patience. Just a suggestion. These dogs have a routine before walking which is "We go crazy and Mom will work around us no matter how we act, and then we go on our walk". How you walk them together is beyond me. You are brave girl!!! Break up the whole sequence of getting ready for a walk. No more collars on at the door. I would crate them both and put on collars and leads BEFORE they get out of the crate. Leave the first collared dog crated, then do the second. Kody reminds me of Skyla. She is really vocal also. She knows when it is time for a walk and will create quite a racket. I will give her a piece of bully stick to keep her occupied and that keeps her quiet while I get ready. I don't bring mine walking at the same time because I live at the beach and dumb people often let their dogs run off leash and I can't control my two when large or small dogs are rushing us.....If only I were younger!!!.....LOL Best of luck. Your dogs are lucky to have you for their Mom!!!!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 11:52 am

Oh man! My girls would not go on a walk if they acted like that! Sheesh! I think Steve would kill them! lol. Even if Elara acts up for her food, we'll withhold it until she calms down. If she's by the door outside wanting to come in for dinner, we walk toward it and if she jumps on the door we back away, so she now gets the point that if she jumps it just takes us longer to open the door for her. Same for if she scratches at her crate door. The food dish gets farther away everytime she scratches to try and hurry things up!

Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Ok SO i tried doing things differently today. This morning I did the following:

- Put their collars on randomly and went about my business for a few minutes.

- Put on my sneakers while Mya talked and talked (as usual), but then I did the dishes (she was so confused).

- Grabbed their prongs/leash and sat on my bed. Of course they both followed and Kody was going nuts on the bed barking at me, but I totally ignored him and put Mya's on. She kept going to the living room and back to the room like "what's going on?".

- I attempted putting Kody's on, but he started with the snapping so I sat back down. He then started jumping on my head so I stood up and just started him down for minutes. He sat...and I put it on him with ease.

All good so far...sure.

- Once they were both leashed up and ready to go I grabbed a hold of Kody (still in our bedroom) and had him sit. Oh boy did he go nuts with the crying,barking, etc. Mya was sitting like a good girl just waiting. This lasted for about 10min. Finally once he sat and wasn't going too bonkers (just whining a bit) I walked out of the room with him and he went NUTS again. I tried walking with him to the living room where Mya was and he went even more NUTS! At this point I took off all of his stuff, stuck him in his crate, and left with Mya! I felt so bad, but I'm sorry he was really going crazy!

When I came back I took him on a walk and he was a total angel.

Now, this evenings walk went better! I repeated the same process, but he walked out to living room pretty calm (for him that is) and I made both sit before leaving leaving the house (took about 3min) and we were off.

This morning hubby was there and this evening he was not. I'm thinking hubby makes Kody act up more Suspect Kody's obsessed with his daddy so that wouldn't surprise me.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 10:39 pm

O my gosh results already?! that's fantastic!! *high five* Had a feeling Kody would take longer than Mya since he is still a pup. It could be that your husbands energy is setting him off or it could be that he is learning that his behavior is unaccepted. With your calmness and devotion to your furkids, I'm sure walk time will be a breeze in no time I love you
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 2:51 am

glad you're having results already!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 11:35 am

hypers987 wrote:
O my gosh results already?! that's fantastic!! *high five* Had a feeling Kody would take longer than Mya since he is still a pup. It could be that your husbands energy is setting him off or it could be that he is learning that his behavior is unaccepted. With your calmness and devotion to your furkids, I'm sure walk time will be a breeze in no time I love you

It's one tiny step closer I guess. Mya's only problem is the jumping at the door really. That and getting frustrated with Kody's complaining and then attacking him as in saying "Little s**t if you just shut up we can go"...LOL! I wouldn't say it's results, but definitely a LITTLE better. It's only been a day of me doing this and I'll try this on their evening walk again today. Unfortunately, they actually let us sleep in today so now it's too hot for their morning walk Rolling Eyes They woke up at 7am, I took them out to do their business, fed them, and gave them each a marrow bone in separate rooms. Yep, they were at it for 3hrs!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Try to block her from doing that do the door w/ your body. Either that or tell her to to sit and then force her to sit when she starts that.

It's progress Mel!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 11:06 pm

I've tried that, but freaking Kody doesn't help. He comes up to her all whiny and bitching about whatever he's trying to get across Evil or Very Mad Getting them leashed in the room seems to be a step closer. By the time we get to the front door they are ready to go and i just have to pull her back and tell her to sit. I mean, she still tries jumping at the door, but isn't nearly as bad. She'll sit and wait while Kody goes about his complaining.

ahhhhhhhhh Kody!

It is progress though! Step by step right?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 pm

How easily do they go into their Kennels?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 12:05 am

mheath0429 wrote:
How easily do they go into their Kennels?

Well, Mya doesn't have a kennel anymore. We started leaving her in our bedroom when she turned about 3yrs old. She would never sleep in it either so after a few weeks of having Kody we got rid of Myas. Our house isn't too big and 2 kennels fit, but it's more roomy with just one.

Kody goes into his kennel very easily. Sometimes even on his own. All we have to say is "Kody go to your casita (little home in spanish)" and he goes straight in. Expects a treat, but goes in on his own ..lol
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 12:27 am

Yeah we call hers a condo haha...have you tried putting him in the condo and then putting it on him? I mean you might have to reach in but it would be a lot easier. And maybe you could do something like that with mya....maybe use kodys?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Like I said they are playing games. You need to be more serious. Don´t give the commands so often, give the command twice at maximum, if they don´t listen to you then consequences are following. At the moment they think, well Mommy is not serious about what she wants from me, so I don´t have to listen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Now you'll see what I deal with...   Now you'll see what I deal with... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Now you'll see what I deal with...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2