It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Jack was attacked at the dog park :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm not going to chew your ass Kristina, but I am going to play a little devil's advocate here. I have 2 friends here, one with a pure pit and one with a mix, and my parents have a pit mix. A lot of issues with pits can be put on the owners for not properly training and socializing their dogs. My friend with the pure pit does not take her dog to parks, but I meet up for doggy play dates with them all the time. My friend with the pit mix takes her dog to parks frequently, and was discriminated against last weekend. The dog hadn't done anything wrong, but we got a complaint lodged against us for having an "aggressive dog". The same lady tried to hit Ghost for coming too close to her dog... Anyway, Caesar plays a little on the rough side, but no more so than Ghost does. He's a certified CGC, and actually fairly timid. My friends have worked extensively with him, and he's very well behaved. As is the pure pit and my parents mix. After this last incident, she is afraid to take him out in public because of someone making assumptions about him, but she got a CGC vest that he's going to wear when out in public now.

I think the rules should apply for all dogs instead of one breed being banned outright. It's the owner's responsibility to control and train their dogs, and if they have an issue stay out of the dog park. Jenn, you would have been right regardless of the ban on pits to ask that guy to remove his dog from the park at the first sign of aggression. Crud, I've told Aaron to take Lulu out of parks before for being too aggressive.

Feel free to agree or disagree, that's just my opinion and what I've experienced. Again, it really sucks that that guy couldn't control his dog and created an environment where Jack got hurt. I truly hope it doesn't happen again.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Glad Jack is ok! As I posted when I first joined, Nanuk gets his defenses up anymore when he is at the park....he'd been attacked a lot on walks, and if he's on-leash, he is automatically on the defensive if a dog comes running up.
You have a lot of skill getting your two behind you. Tommy & I had a hard time controlling our three when a German Shepard came running up on us once!
Heaven help us all if a dog comes running when we are walking the Linocerous! He's a little fella who doesn't know it! The Three Huskyteers would feel obliged to help their older brother.
We stopped taking them to the dog park....it stopped being fun.... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Wow, that would have been scary Jenn. I would have been shaking too! Dakota has been attacked so many times on our walks by loose leash dogs and he acts like they want to play! I never worried too much until recently. He used to be able to hold his own, but now I worry since his hips bother him. I'm very alert on our walks now so I can intervene if necessary.

I'm torn on the breed specific bann. I do not think it's fair for those that have no aggression but there are so many owners out there that know their dog can be aggressive and still put them in situations that risk others.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:58 pm

I think for breeds who are known for dog aggression it is a serious risk taking it to the dog park. You not only have to worry about your own dog but other people and their dogs. If my dads Pit mix was to come with us to the park and either attacked another dog or was attacked and then defended herself- she would be destroyed. Mostly because she looks like a Pit.

I have nothing against the breed but I think taking them to a public place like a dog park where you don't know the people or dogs is a mistake. Your breed is prone to dog aggression. Its like taking a Husky into a little dog park. Its not smart.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 11:02 pm

arooroomom wrote:
If my dads Pit mix was to come with us to the park and either attacked another dog or was attacked and then defended herself- she would be destroyed. Mostly because she looks like a Pit.

You're absolutely right on that point, and that's why my friend with the pure pit doesn't take her dog to parks. My other friend and my parents' pit mix are both great dogs and not prone to aggression (they're both total wimps actually), but they still take a risk taking their dogs out. I think the point I was trying to make was that you have to know your dog and be able to control them around other dogs if you are going to bring them to a park. It's a shame that people with pits, even if they're the most well behaved pits out there, have to be worried about taking them out in public. And, it especially sucks that people bring poorly socialized dogs to parks and then things happen like what happened to Jack.

Hopefully we all manage to avoid dog park issues in the future, as they're such a good resource for our dogs.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 pm

Huskies always seem to be near the top of those "lists" too...

This is one of those instances where I would have taken a picture and said "stupid husky". The other dog was probably telling him to shut up.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 11:54 pm

I'm glad Jack is ok! We got attacked last night by two little dogs. Stupid owners just left their fence gate open. Luckily I was able to kick one dog before it got close, and that sent both of the dogs running back across the street. Stupid owners never even came out. I hope Jack doesn't end up being afraid of other dogs. Luka use to want to play with every dog, but after being attacked she is now shy around new dogs. Kitty has been attacked too, but she acts about the same. I love pits, but I can't help but be worried when I meet one I don't know. Too many stupid owners get dogs and don't socialize them, or think its cool to have an aggressive dog.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:10 am

Things like thishave nothing to do with the breed. It is the owner that makes the dog what he is, even a Pit can be nice dog.

On one hand I´m sad that we don´t have real dog parks her ein Germany but on the other hand I wouldn´t go there to often I think because there are alot of aggressive do0gs and most owners don´t have their dogs under control, or they just don´t give a damn.

To me what JBealer said is the right way, he protects his dogs, Of course ther eis a risk of getting bit by th eother dog, but most of the time the other dog will run away.
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:44 am

Denver has a breed ban against Pits.... thus the sign at the park. If you are caught with a Pit they pick it up and destroy it. I would never live in Denver. My daughter has a Pit and I have a Pit mix. My Max loves all dogs. He is one of the most gentle dogs ever. Breed bans are misguided in my opinion, People should be held accountable for misdeeds by their dogs. Any breed can be dog aggressive. I personally don't like dog parks. I would rather let my dogs play with each other under my supervision and we go hiking and camping in state parks and walk on the beach daily. Just not worth the tension putting my dogs in possible harms way of strangers and their dogs.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:22 am

beck3465 wrote:
Breed bans are misguided in my opinion, People should be held accountable for misdeeds by their dogs. Any breed can be dog aggressive.

BSL is very misguided. First and foremost who the hell can tell with 100% certainty the breed of a dog. I liken it to racism because that is what it is in the dog world, lumping all dogs of one breed together, mostly by looks alone. It is starting to affect huskies as well, http://www.paws4change.com/Breed-Bans.html. I really feel bad for the thousands on pit mix owners (and other banned breeds) who can't enjoy the same freedon with their dog as everyone else.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself" - FDR.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 11:56 am

I predict that in the future dog parks probably won't exist as some major catastrophe is going to happen with dog vs. dog or dog vs. child. Then lawsuits will occur and cities and counties won't want to risk the liability of parks specifically designated for dogs. Sad for responsible dog owners but inevitable due to the stupidity of some irresponsible pet owners and parents.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 12:14 pm

I wanna have my own private dog park for only the dog owners and dogs I personally know....

A girl can dream, right?! Smile

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:23 pm

cmanding wrote:
I wanna have my own private dog park for only the dog owners and dogs I personally know....

Maybe all us coloradoans can pitch in and help! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Demon&Dakota wrote:
cmanding wrote:

Maybe all us coloradoans can pitch in and help! Very Happy

How cool would that be for us to have our own private dog park for our furbabies??

I've actually thought about it! I'd buy land big enough to have a passive side to let the grass grow back in, and the active side for the dogs to play and alternate every year so it'd always have grass. Then I'd have a 'membership fee for people who want to use it and the fees would go toward maintenance. Smile That's as far as my plans went...

Now, if only I could win the lottery so I can put this plan into action!!
Razz

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 2:32 pm

cant win if you don't play...!

i don't play, but i love the idea and would pay a fee.

PostSubject: Re: Jack was attacked at the dog park :(   park - Jack was attacked at the dog park :( - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jack was attacked at the dog park :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2