It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Great idea Dee! I never thought about leaving her with a leash on even though I've read that suggestion given here several times Rolling Eyes I have a really thin one that I could have permanently attached to her collar. So, you would suggest dragging her to the "time out" spot (bathroom) and then ignoring her when she's let out? Oh, and yep, I totally correct out of anger silent I have so much patience with them that it's not even funny, but lately I just want to strangle her!!! I hate it because then she's so sweet other times. Gives me 100 kisses in the morning and lays wherever I go. She's so freaking bipolar I swear!!!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah I agree with Denise, keep a leash on her at all times that way you can grab her in the moment and give out a correction and haul her butt to timeout. She'll catch on Mel- she ain't dumb! lol

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:18 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Yeah I agree with Denise, keep a leash on her at all times that way you can grab her in the moment and give out a correction and haul her butt to timeout. She'll catch on Mel- she ain't dumb! lol

That's the problem, she's way too smart! LOL!!! My version of timeout today was locking her in the TV room with Ivan screaming his butt off playing MW3. She was crying at the door for the entire time...lol. Oh well. Definitely will be leashed all the time going forward so I can drag her ass in timeout in the bathroom! I hate the fact that she's so damn pissy!! Mad
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:36 pm

You may not even need to drag her ass to time out. I think if your consistant with it, you may just shock the s**t out of her since she can't go anywhere that she won't know what to do lol!
These dogs are way too smart for our own good.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:44 pm

lol! Dee! They really are! I hope I don't have to drag he in timeout because you know it's going to break my heart Rolling Eyes I just put her collar with the thin leash on her to let them out to go potty. She went, did #1, and came back inside to lay on the couch. She's sitting there just staring at me. She's not happy about the leash being attached to her..LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 9:07 am

I would try the suggestions with the leash first, but although this might sound bad, if she continues to really trying to snap you maybe it is time to kick her ass ONCE.
As the others say keep the leash on her and if she thinks she can act like a bitch again, giv her a real time out, with no one in the room..

But as mentionend above you need to take care of this imediately, because as long as she can treat you like this with no big consequence it will get worse, she thinks she is the queen right now, so you need to put her back in th eline.
I would add to the leash thing, no lying on higher places like the couch etc. for the next time.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Omg, this dog is WAY TOO SMART! I had to laugh at this last night! SO i put the leash on her, let her out to potty, she did her business, came right back in and laid down. While cooking i dropped an asparagus behind the garbage and she was trying to get it. I grabbed the leash and pulled her way. All good. Mind you, this is the only time that I used the leash to correct her. JUST ONCE. A while later she's laying on the couch and I sat next to her (leash touching my leg). She got up, picked up the leash in her mouth, and moved under the table. Then when I was taking them out for their last potty of the night she did the same thing! She walked all around the yard with the leash in her mouth! Like, oh no no no way are you going to use this to control me...

lol!

I have to laugh...or cry..lol
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:27 pm

lol!

Sorry to laugh, but that was too funny. Good luck with that one...

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 pm

That's so funny Mel I can't believe her!!!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Mya is so smart! thats to funny wish you had a video to go with it! you got a diva on your hands for sure!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Dude, it was hilarious!!!! What am i going to do with her?! LOL! Maybe instead of leaving it on her I'll just use it as a loop to put her in time out when need be. That might work.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Wow, I thought it was just my dog acting up this time of the year. She has been so pissy and whiney. I have been taking her out for extra long walks and extra of them. This has helped a lot but then I'm totally exhausted and she will sit and stare at me and whine. UGH Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 85993
It like what the hell do you want. I will try and play with her and she just sits there and looks at me like I'm an idiot. Can they please get collars like in the movie UP so we can have them tell us what they want. After awhile of me trying anything she usually just walks away and goes to bed.
She reminds me of a toddler that is over tired and if fighting taking a nap.
I don't know if it's a change of season thing or what. Very frustrating.
I have never had her snap at me when she needs to come in though. She will jump and growl on me and grab on pants or jacket when I walk into the yard and she wants to play, but I always make her stop the behavior before I will play with her. I don't want her to act like this with others.
I definately agree they are way to smart. I think they think we are the dogs in the house and they are the lead. I don't think so.
I will tell her I am the lead dog here not you. She will tilt her head and look at me like WHAT????

Sometimes you can't help but laugh.
Good luck and hope she gets out of the mood soon.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:02 pm

How old is Libby Christine? Mya used to do the exact same thing until she was about 3years old that she cut down. Then once we brought Kody home it stopped completely. I would walk her a few times a day, play with her, give her anything she wanted, but the second I would sit/lay down she would start whining and jumping on me like "helloooo pay attention to me!". I would get so frustrated! I didn't know what she wanted. Kody just recently started doing this some nights, but no way i'm going to let him get into that little routine. If I know he was well exercised, played with, fed, and doesn't have to go potty I will put him in timeout when he does this!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:38 pm

MelissaI wrote:
She got up, picked up the leash in her mouth, and moved under the table. Then when I was taking them out for their last potty of the night she did the same thing! She walked all around the yard with the leash in her mouth! Like, oh no no no way are you going to use this to control me...

lol!

I have to laugh...or cry..lol

Willow does this too! I always hook her up to her harness and leash at the door and usually forget something, insread of waiting at the door for me, she will pick up the leash and follow me until I'm ready. It's really cute!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Libby is almost 3 1/2 now and it has been bad the past month. I went from Walking her once a day to 3 times a day now. Ususally she is so tired after the walks she is pulling me towards home, to get it over with. I have been considering getting another husky so they could wear each other out but and conflicted. She is so picky on what dogs she likes and do I get a puppy or try and find one to rescue around my area. I get nervous with rescues just because of the background they may have but I know it is better for them to be about the same age.
Did you get Kody as a puppy and did you take Mya with to help pick a dog out?
These are my concerns. I know I can get one from the same breeder when a litter comes due and I know how she is, so would hope I would get another very similar.
I have been just trying to ignore the whining because I know she has everything she needs and is just doing it because she can. It is still annoying though. Sometimes mommy is tired too. I don't get to sleep when I want during the day.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:53 pm

If you're ready for another one I say go for it!!! We got Kody as a puppy because Mya isn't too fond of other other dogs, just like Libby. I really wanted to rescue, but because of the way Mya is we had to take the puppy route.

We got Kody when Mya was 4yrs old. She's now 5 and he's 1. I wish I would have gotten a 2nd one earlier so that they would be closer in age, but it works out. They get along because Mya is the total alpha and Kody totally respects her. If he had an alpha personality also it definitely wouldn't work. She plays with him all the time and they sleep together some times so I think she's kinda likes him just a little..lol. If you want to see them interacting check out my youtube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/user/fortunalis8?feature=mhee
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Oh, let me warn you though. It wasn't easy the first few months. She attacked him twice and was being totally bitchy, but got over it and now they're buddies.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Ok, Mya with the leash in her mouth had me laughing so hard it brought me to tears. Sorry I couldn't help it. lol!

If I were you, after I got done cracking up, i'd grab a hold of the leash to show her that you are in control of it. If you let her get away with it, you just put her back in the position of power. Just my opinion.
I still can't believe her.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Dee&Frankie wrote:
Ok, Mya with the leash in her mouth had me laughing so hard it brought me to tears. Sorry I couldn't help it. lol!

If I were you, after I got done cracking up, i'd grab a hold of the leash to show her that you are in control of it. If you let her get away with it, you just put her back in the position of power. Just my opinion.
I still can't believe her.

Oh trust me, I was laughing so hard that I could hardly breathe..LOL LOL!!! I was in so much shock at the same time. I couldn't believe what she was doing. She wouldn't even let Kody get near the leash. Totally took possession over it! She's psycho I tell ya...psycho!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Do you have a fenced in yard that they can run around in loose?
I have a decent size yard but they wont let us put up fences so she has to be on a leash at all times. I only know of 1 dog park anywhere close to me where the dogs must be off leashes, but they charge like $40 a month to join. That just seems kind of expensive for a park. I do take her to a few that allow dogs and they weave in and out of the woods. It really nice and I usually tie 2 chains together to giver her about 50ft.
I am just worried if I get another one that her loving personality will change. This is the mind battle I have been doing for 2 months now. What to do???
Like you said I don't want to wait until she is much older to get another one.

If anyone knows of a rescue around south eastern wisconsin for Huskies let me know. It would be great to save one and have her be there to pick one out. She just loves to wrestle around and would think an adult would be good.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:29 pm

libbybell74 wrote:
Do you have a fenced in yard that they can run around in loose?

We do have a fenced in yard. The front gate is not very secure so I never leave them outside alone, but they do run and play outside. Honestly though, most of the rough playing takes place in the house. When they're outside they're too busy eating grass or smelling around. They might play chase for maybe 5min and then it's over. Mya does enjoy chasing the ball back there also.

I don't think her personality will change. Mya was acting very weird and serious for the first few weeks, but then she went back to normal. Minus, the constant whining. Instead of harassing me she'll play with Kody.

Good luck! I hope that you're able to find the right rescue!! Smile
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 pm

There was an adorable 1yr old all white husky at the humaine society about 6 weeks ago and couldn't get out of work to go see her, and now she is gone. I guess I didn't expect her to stay long, she had all her shots and spayed and was only $120.00. Can't beat the price.
If its an adult it has to be ok with cats and kids and I don't seem to find many, so in that aspect a puppy would be good.
maybe I'm overthinking this and should just go for it.
Thank you for your help.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Well I found a rescue about and hour and a half from me and they are all husky. I sent them an email asking some questions. Hopefully we can have a new addition in the next month or so. Just in time for Christmas would be nice. I will keep everyone informed. I'm excited now.

I was wondering if you all think it's better to get a male dog when I have a female or doesn't it seem to matter. I'm just concerned about having 2 lead females. I have noticed that most of you have a male and a female, and was wondering if this was better.
Thanks again everyone.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Christine, Luka was the EXACT same way before we got Kitty. I don't think I ever got to sit and watch an entire move while we just had her. Even a half hour tv show was difficult! Napping was impossible. Only thing that gave me a little bit of a break was to make a frozen Kong and put her in her crate. I bought the biggest Kong I could find so it lasted longer. If I gave it to her outside of the crate she would just pick it up and put it on my lap. She likes when I hold the Kong for her! She stayed interested when it was in the crate. We got Kitty as an older puppy, and I did bring Luka to meet her first.

Melissa, keeping Luka on leash helped us when she went through one of those naughty phases. It took a while though. I think Luka spent a good half year with a leash on in the house!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Maybe this is there way of telling us we are not enough for them anymore. they are bored with just mom and dad and want a sibling. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!    Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Seriously SICK of Mya's Attitude!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next