It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! Empty
PostSubject: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 9:31 pm

I know that I posted on this months ago, but I can't find the old thread. Seriously, these 2 dogs DO NOT STOP EATING GRASS! Before it was just nibbling on it, but now it's like they pull the grass up from the root and eat that too! They go out to basically just to eat grass. They'll run around and play for a few minutes, but then back to eating it. AHHHHHHHHHH I'm so frustrated with this! I've tried spraying bitter apple on the spots that they're messing with, but they just move to a new spot. I can't bitter apple the entire damn yard! Shocked It's so bad that we now have patches of just missing grass all over. I don't know if it's a combination of them eating it or the cooler weather, but seriously we need to go buy patches to put. There's dirt everywhere!

This behavior can't be normal and it can't be good for them either!! Kody's up for his rabies shot (has an appointment on the 14th) so I'm going to ask the vet about it, but does anybody know why they would be so obsessed with it? They eat so it can't be that they're hungry either!!

:eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! 85993 eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! 85993 eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! 85993 eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! 85993 eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! 85993 eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! 85993 eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! 85993
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Upset stomach perhaps? Although it sounds like it would have to be a chronic upset stomach....

Maybe they just like the way it tastes? Maybe take the sandbox approach, plant them grass in a planter that they are free to munch on and save your yard!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Adobo grazes like a cow in the summer and I've never seen her have any problems with it.

Mylo use to graze heavy in the spring time when the lawn was newly green again and then occasionally upchuck it later.

The only time I'd worry about it is if your have companies like Chemlawn, etc. that spray the yards and turn the lawn into a toxic dump.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Quote :
The only time I'd worry about it is if your have companies like Chemlawn, etc. that spray the yards and turn the lawn into a toxic dump.

A good reason to have grass set-aside for them to munch on (assuming you can't / don't care to break the habit).
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Kale does it too Evil or Very Mad Although he has gotten better about it. He's never had any problems from it, it was just annoying as hell lol It seemed like he got better when I stopped chasing him away and stopped making a big deal about it; it wasn't a game of "piss off mom time" anymore lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
4BangenRange
Puppy
Puppy
4BangenRange

Male Join date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 12:53 am

Josie does it too. Eats it for a nice snack all the time. If she aint eating grass she'll eat dirt out my moms wiskey barrels she grows chives, and other plants like that in. Or she'll dig holes for acorns :/
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 am

Ive never seen Neo eat grass, but Jackson grazes like a horse.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 3:35 am

Grass, dirt, plants, tree bark - people must think i starve my guy the way he goes about eating EVERYTHING he comes across on walks!!! SO ANNOYING! We'll be happily walking down the path and he will bolt to the left to pick up some soggy tissue - i've had to take some pretty disgusting things out of his mouth lately and its been far from pleasant!!! (You wonder why some of these things are on the floor in the first place).
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:01 am

Anubis eats grass too, but only in Spring and Summer.
Dogs eat gras to clean their stomachs but I´m sure that some dogs like it too.

Anubis is a little problem child when it comes to picking up bullshit too, I´m dealingn with this for two years now since he got spayed and I don´t know what to do that he will ever stop this. I even could beat the livi9ng shit out of him and he would still do it.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 11:32 am

I know that dogs normally eat grass to clean their tummies when they're not feeling well, but they're not having any tummy issues at all. I check their poop every time and it's fine. No vomiting either. Kody even poops out pieces of grass root! Ugh! Good to know that it won't harm them and they're not the only ones that do it, but it's ridiculous! I'm going to take a video one of these days so you can see what I mean. Oh, and no we don't have any sort of chemicals put on the yard so we're good on that end.

They eat EVERYTHING on walks also and it's so ANNOYING!! At least during walks I can pull them along most of the time. Except for the time that they got into a fight over a piece of bread that I didn't see Mad
Back to top Go down
Lainaloo
Teenager
Teenager
Lainaloo

Female Join date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Atka eats grass for fun. When he had a bad belly he was taking huge bites of sand from my moms back yard and vomiting that up and shitting his pants. But no, grass is purely for pleasure. I call him my weed eater. :p He's currently grazing my living room for bits of rope Storm tore off the rope toy...
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/laina.dotson
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Lainaloo wrote:
He's currently grazing my living room for bits of rope Storm tore off the rope toy...

be careful with the rope, that is not good in the system as it can get tied up on things inside.

S&J only eat grass if their tummy is not feeling well and will puke it up.

Sierra picks up EVERYTHING on walks and yes i wonder why so many gross things are left out! yuck! i have gotten to the point that i don't let her sniff ANYTHING as it tends to lead to her picking up something and eating it.

Melissa, try growing a "garden" for grass for them, just like cat owners grow their own catnip

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 pm

jbealer wrote:

Sierra picks up EVERYTHING on walks and yes i wonder why so many gross things are left out! yuck! i have gotten to the point that i don't let her sniff ANYTHING as it tends to lead to her picking up something and eating it.

Oh thank goodnes that I'm not the only one that's started doing this! I feel so mean not letting either of them sniff. They BOTH eat EVERYTHING. A sniff is never just a sniff, it's always because they want to eat something. This is constant too!!! I only let them sniff a tree or a bush, but never the ground. It's a constant "NO, GO!" with them eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! 1625187496
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 pm

My two are obsessed with plants. They eat my plants in my house, outside, and even leaves off of trees. I have to hide my plants when I leave because they eat all of the leaves lol.

Reiko will occasionally pick up a soggy tissue or other randoms on the ground. Then it's a fight and a half to get it back from him, because he guards it with his life! lol He once picked up a dead squirrel.. that was fun..
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 3:20 pm

I have been feeding Faolan on the porch because its the only way he will leave my other dog alone to eat. I can't put him in a different room in the apartment because he gets bored after scarfing his food and paws at the door. On the porch he can people-watch which he enjoys. But we had a potted rose bush on the porch and he ate the entire damn thing! Evil or Very Mad (Oh, and it was over the course of a few months - each time he went out there he'd nibble off a bit of leaf or branch until one day, it was all gone.)
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:54 pm

The only thing that pisss me off ist the fear that he could pick up something poisoned some day.
Back to top Go down
huskies81
Puppy
Puppy
huskies81

Male Join date : 2012-01-01

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:11 pm

sadie pulls the grass out of the ground roots and all. Never actually eats it, just pulls it up and spits it out. Same for much other stuff, tree bark and limbs. chews it up and spits it out. I kinda feel a little better now knowing most other huskies munch it too!! People laugh at her at the dog park. She looks like a black and white lawn mower! bounce
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:50 pm

SiberianAnubis wrote:
The only thing that pisss me off ist the fear that he could pick up something poisoned some day.

Thats exactly what bothers me too, so far the most dangerous things he's picked up (as far as i know) are chicken wing bones... apart from that he just goes for soggy tissues and other bits n bobs - my dad took him out one night and came back very pissed off - he had to fight Luka for a condom he picked up off the floor... disgusting disgusting and disgusting but the thought of him playing tug of war with some rubber is rather amusing!

huskies81 wrote:
sadie pulls the grass out of the ground roots and all. Never actually eats it, just pulls it up and spits it out. Same for much other stuff, tree bark and limbs. chews it up and spits it out. I kinda feel a little better now knowing most other huskies munch it too!! People laugh at her at the dog park. She looks like a black and white lawn mower! bounce
Luka chews up and spits out bark as well - well, spits out most of it lol, its the only thing that he doesn't eat i think!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Oh the stupid chicken bones!!! I need like some super tunnel vision to spot them! Not only do they both eat them, but I need to make sure that they don't go for the same one at the same time! That's not pretty! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
4BangenRange
Puppy
Puppy
4BangenRange

Male Join date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Erinc wrote:
Grass, dirt, plants, tree bark - people must think i starve my guy the way he goes about eating EVERYTHING he comes across on walks!!! SO ANNOYING! We'll be happily walking down the path and he will bolt to the left to pick up some soggy tissue - i've had to take some pretty disgusting things out of his mouth lately and its been far from pleasant!!! (You wonder why some of these things are on the floor in the first place).

When i took Josie for a walk once. I had to fight with her to stop chewing/eat a Hummingbird (still alive) once. I dont know where she found that dam thing. :/ lol.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 12:25 am

Cigarette butts are our biggest problem around here. They are seriously everywhere, especially in our neighborhood. People just don't have any respect around here when it comes to that, and the dogs both make a beeline for them.

Ghost likes to eat the little thorn plants that come through our fence from the neighbor's yard confused She's weird. Her favorite delicacy though is cat poop... It's disgusting...

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:59 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
Cigarette butts are our biggest problem around here. They are seriously everywhere, especially in our neighborhood. People just don't have any respect around here when it comes to that, and the dogs both make a beeline for them.

Ghost likes to eat the little thorn plants that come through our fence from the neighbor's yard confused She's weird. Her favorite delicacy though is cat poop... It's disgusting...

Mine seems to ignore cigarette butts, i think thats the only thing so far i've actually seen him sniff past without trying to digest it!! I hope i haven't spoken to soon because there are loads around here as well Sad

4BangenRange wrote:
Erinc wrote:

When i took Josie for a walk once. I had to fight with her to stop chewing/eat a Hummingbird (still alive) once. I dont know where she found that dam thing. :/ lol.

Thats not pleasant at all, poor hummingbird, probably just out for a casual hum!
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 8:14 am

Cat poop is a problem with Anubis too, after not trying to eat it for a year or so he started with it again about a few weeks ago. I only thought oh man I thought we are through with this shit
Back to top Go down
theredofshaw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 10:00 am

how about things in the veggie garden? we have 3 different tomato plants, bunch of strawberries and a jalapeno plant that managed to survive the heat. are any of these potentially bad for her to eat? she already is grazing the backyard like a cow and now she's getting into the garden. can't seem to distract her, telling her no doesn't work. if i pick her up and put her in another spot in the yard, she just goes right back to it. I'll definitely be fencing that off next year.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:15 pm

I follow the line of if I eat it then its pretty much safe for them. The only thing I can think of at the moment would be white potatoes which I don't grow in my garden but others maybe do.

Corn from the cob safe, but don't allow them to eat any of the cob they can cause serious intestinal blockages. Just got Biko, back from the vet this morning and one of the problem causers was corn cob that he snitched last weekend (8-11) took until Thurs (8-16) to make him start being a regular barfing machine. The vet feels Biko upchucked what was causing the trouble as they found no other signs of what was making him sick.................. $300+ later. Had him spend the night for observation, re-hydration, blood panels etc. etc.

Not sure how much he was able to pass before making him sick but all I saw in his clean ups was about two 1" pieces.

Tomatoes the vet said wouldn't be cause to worry which is good because they both love the yellow cherry tomatoes we have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!   eating - They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

They don't stop eating grass. AHHHHHHHHH!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next