It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

chewing up stuff!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

Male Join date : 2012-03-03

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Arrrgg! I have had Massak almost 2 months and he has been really good while I have been at work during the day. Sometimes he will have chewed up a few pieces of cardboard or something from the kindling bin. Last week he didn't even do that. Today when I got home it was like he went wild and chewed up stuff I had on the kitchen table including a new windshield wiper, pulled stuff off the kitchen counter and a little decorative wall hanging, paper, etc etc. What the heck?! It's not like he doesn't get more exercise than any dog alive already. Very strange out of the blue for this to happen. Maybe it's because it was the first time I have left with the windows open and he could hear all the birds and action outside?
I gave one yell "no" along with a few curse words and slapped the floor in anger and quietly cleaned up the mess as he watched laying on the floor quietly. Hopefully he got the message.

Anyone else ever had this happen out of the blue?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:22 pm

To avoid damage to the house and a possible injury to himself, I always crate Kale when no one is home. I'd rather have piece of mind and have him comfortably confined than to come home to a mess of destroyed stuff, or a blocked dog because he ate something he shouldn't have. You never know when they get that sudden urge to reek havoc and demolish you favorite belongings lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:27 pm

I make sure there is absolutely nothing within reach of curious, intelligent dogs. This usually means everything in cabinets or on top of the fridge or in a room they can't access when their home alone.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm

You really need to consider crating him when no one is at home or Puppy proof your home.

We have had Blaze going on 9 months now he is always crated when no one is at home which is good for him being my Husband works from home..

He does not like by does it without much argument..

Back to top Go down
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 2:16 pm

I think I have been getting the message across in a firm but loving way. We have a quick sit-down before I leave now and nothing has been touched the past 3 times i've left him for 4hrs plus at a time. The more i learn through experience, It's like I am the one who is needing the training in being a more firm leader and being the only one who says how it's gonna be and not so worried about the dog thinks! It's interesting he has also been sticking closer and listening better when he is running off-leash now too. (which is about 90% of the time) I think he is happier and loves me more when there is no question who is boss.
Of course when he is after a critter or deer there is nothing i can do to stop him. He chased a groundhog right off the slope and got him yesterday when we were skiing at the resort after hours!
Back to top Go down
Huskyfur
Newborn
Newborn
Huskyfur

Female Join date : 2010-11-25

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 1:37 pm

HELP! I'm in need of some experienced advice:

I have two 7-month old Sibes (Moka and Arrow) that have hit their "chewing stage" hard (and please feel free to weigh in the validity of a "chewing stage" - I've heard that adolescent dogs tend to go through this stage between 7-12 months of age). My husband and I really don't want to crate them all day, as we both work full time. I come home at my lunch break everyday - but I don't feel that is enough time for them to get out and stretch their legs, etc.

We've been trying everything: pack walks, runs, dog park visits, changing up their toys on a daily basis so that they stay "new" and interesting, treats/PB in their kongs, picking up and putting away everything they have previously chewed on (although that doesn't work for the carpet).

Please share your experiences with me! Will this stage pass? I've had a Sibe before these two, but she was mostly an outdoor dog, so we didn't have this problem. Do you think all day in a crate is too much?

Thanks all!!
Back to top Go down
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Huskyfur wrote:
Do you think all day in a crate is too much?

Thanks all!!

if you can't leave them outside, then crate, crate, crate. For YOUR piece of mind, AND theirs.

I went a while without it, but I am now convinced it is the best way to go if I can't leave him outside. My boy could be good for weeks and weeks, and out of the blue one day, something could be chewed up. So why take the chance? You will feel more secure because you know there is nothing they can do. They will feel more secure because they know there is nothing they can do. They will love you no less being in the crate all day.

I used to bum out thinking how bad my boy must be bumming out being in a crate all day, and a friend told me some words that hit it on the head! "don't worry about it...because when you get home, he is gonna loooovvvvve you like crazy and any time in the crate is forgotten at that second"

Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 pm

crate crate crate!! That is the advice I have as well. Maggie is the only dog I have ever known that doesn't chew on anything but a bone. I still crate her for her safety because dogs can get curious!
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 8:26 pm

I agree, crate crate crate. I also work full time. So I get up a little early, take Saphire for her morning walk, feed her and let her play outside while I get ready for work and then in the crate. At lunch, I let her out to run and we play a little tug-o-war, then back to the crate until I get home from work. After work, we walk and play and train and cuddle and just spend time together. About an hour before bed she goes out and then its crate time overnight. This is our workday routine. She expects it and I don't have to worry. Now non-workdays is another story. She isn't in the crate on non-work days unless I have to go somewhere she can't or its bedtime.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 11:46 pm

With our first husky we would occasionally think it would be okay to "test" her and leave her out of her crate when we would only be gone a couple hours. We rarely had success with our "test" until she was at least 5 years old. Even then we would find the occasional children's board book chewed up. Books were her weakness! And once a snag in the berber carpet was too much of a temptation. Rolling Eyes

We now believe it's probably just best to crate forever. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Huskyfur
Newborn
Newborn
Huskyfur

Female Join date : 2010-11-25

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks for the input, everyone! I guess their honeymoon of lounging around the house while we're away is over for quite awhile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

chewing up stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing up stuff!   chewing up stuff! Empty

Back to top Go down

chewing up stuff!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1