It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fighting or Playing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Fighting or Playing? Empty
PostSubject: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Ok experts, Aaron and I have an ongoing argument that Lulu is playing in her own little messed up Cocker Spaniel way, and I'm convinced she hates Ghost and wants to rip her face off. So, I took a video of them the other day while they were in the back yard. This is a regular occurrence, and they behave like this multiple times a day. Anytime Lulu gets excited (pretty much anything sets her off), Ghost gets excited and wants to play, and Lulu just turns around and starts as I would characterize snapping and snarling.

So, which one of us is right, and is this something we should be worried about? We've had Ghost for almost 9 months now, and Lulu has never warmed up to her. She also behaves like this towards dogs at the park, and I'm waiting for the day she gets our asses thrown out of one. Thanks for the input, guys!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Fighting or Playing? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 11:37 pm

TOTAL play. For one, I didn't see any snarling or growling in there at ALL. Two, a dog that doesn't want to be bothered, doesn't play chase like that. I think she definitely gets tired out earlier than Ghost does, but I don't see anything there that makes me worried at all. Smile

Sorry... Aaron wins this one Razz

Fighting or Playing? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Koda wrote:

Sorry... Aaron wins this one Razz

Fair enough Razz It was hard to get on my phone, but she growls like crazy too.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Rumbles/growls are normal... is she baring teeth/snarling? THAT'S the more telling sign. I heard little growls, but I didn't see any teeth baring.

Her tail was wagging, she was chasing Ghost and waiting/looking for her to come run back around. Ghost would stand next to her and Lulu would wait until she "wasn't paying attention" and then try and rough and tumble... I personally think it's loud, but I don't see any warning signs from that video.

Just my $.02 though!

Fighting or Playing? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Koda wrote:

Just my $.02 though!

And I do appreciate it! I haven't had really any dog experience since I was a kid, and I was so little when my parents had a Cocker that I completely missed all of their nuances. That Cocker was so poorly bread that she was deaf, blind, and riddled with cancer to the point she had to be put down at age six. I've since talked to my older brother who is old enough to remember picking her up, and he's pretty sure she came from a puppy mill in Ohio. Lulu is also the product of poor breeding (BYB) but thankfully she doesn't have any physical issues that we've found yet. Psychologically she's a mess though, and as a result I have a hell of a time reading her signals even after almost 2 years of interacting with her.

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 am

I would say that's play, ghost is funny doing the shoulder push to lulu! And if lulu was trying to kill ghost they would not stand so close catching their breath then chase again.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks Jenn. We always laugh at how Ghost likes to throw her weight around when playing with other dogs. She's like the schoolyard bully who sits on other kids Razz

Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 am

That's a great game they've got going on. You can see that Ghost is playing - there's a lovely play-bow at about 15s. Maybe if Lulu is hard to read, you can look at how Ghost is responding - she looks so happy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 am

Playing for sure!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 am

Just lulus way of playing Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 3:02 am

Yup agree on playing Smile Her tail is wagging the whole time and I didn't see any teeth from what I could see
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 am

Ghost knows exactly what to do to make Lulu chase her lol!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:01 am

awww crap I have to say play also. Ghost is saying "catch me if you can you miserable lil bitch."
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 7:21 am

play play play Smile you'll find that if one of them isn't in the mood (lets say Lulu) and Ghost wants to play, he'll push all her buttons till she has had enough and decides to chase him and bit him on the bum - its all fun n games to them lol.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 am

Here4thePics wrote:
awww crap I have to say play also. Ghost is saying "catch me if you can you miserable lil bitch."

lol!

Pretty sure you're right on that one...

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 am

hypers987 wrote:
Ghost knows exactly what to do to make Lulu chase her lol!

Yep!!! Kody does the exact same thing thing to Mya to make her chase him! Ghost reminds me so much of Kody. Haha!!! Mya does that chase growling thing to him also and he just runs and when/if she catches him she doesn't do anything to him.

They're totally just playing. This video had me laughing at my desk. So cute!! lol
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 pm

That's like when Elara pokes at my mom's little american eskimo. He looks like he wants to bite Elara's face off, but he acts like he wants to keep doing it if you make them stop. So I guess it's just play. I know it's play for Elara. She loves to poke and then jump away right before getting bit! BTW, your cocker looks like it's enjoying it more than my mom's eskimo! So I vote play too!

Fighting or Playing? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighting or Playing?   Fighting or Playing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fighting or Playing?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1