It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Constant Fighting/Playing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

Constant Fighting/Playing Empty
PostSubject: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 am

Its been awhile since I have actually had time to post anything one here, though I have been keeping tabs on some of the theads! Anyhow, things with Skyler are going great. She is adjusting well and finally starting to learn some basic commands and some corrective behavior. Kota on the other hand is now driving me BONKERS! She is constantly chasing Skyler and nipping at her scruff. Even though I know it is all out of play it is still a bit annoying for Skyler I can tell. Poor thing cannot even get up to get a drink of water without Kota chasing her down. Neither are arrgessive towards each other and sometimes Skyler is as equally as playful but other times she just wants to chill out and Kota wants no part of it.

I try to correct Kota with a stern "No" when she starts nipping at Skyler or when she is chasing her around the house while Skyler trys to do anything but she just looks at me like I am insane and continues on with it. I am very aware that Kota is the more doninant of the two but she is like that with most dogs she meets, but its getting to the point that I almost have to keep them seperated to do anything, even when they go out to potty. Skyler get tackled most of the time and has started jumping our fence to potty then jumping right back in, which tells me she is getting tried of it too.

Is this something that will pass with time. Since we have only had Skyler about 2 months, I figured that we would have some of this but I think its getting worse if anything. She use to at least listen to me when I would tell her to stop but now she just doesn't care. I feel bad about being hard on her as I know it must be tough going from being our only girl to having a sister. An I know Kota likes having her around because she is much more social now, and other then aggrevating Skyler her behavior is really getting much better, especially on walks.

Anyone have any idea if there is something I can do or it is just one of those things that I will have to deal with for a while.

(By the way, sorry if there are grammatical errors, posting from my iPad)
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:14 am

Embry does this to both of my other dogs, but only after they're all let out of their kennels.

Have you tried teaching Kota "leave it" It's super useful, it's what I use when the dogs start getting on my nerves with their wrestling, and it works really well.

I'm sure it'll start to go away as Kota gets more accustomed to sharing her home with another dog, but you never really know.
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 am

Kota knows "Leave it" well but she doesn't repond when I try it in regards to Skyler. I have been using "Enough" lately and she will stop for a bit but then its right back at it. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if it was just sometimes or like you said, when they're let out of their crates but its like every time Skyler moves Kota jumps up. She wont just leave her be. I hope that it gets better with time because its driving me insane. Lol
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 am

lol!

This is the story of my life!

As I'm writing this they are play fighting under my feet. I've come quite accustomed to writing on the computer during a Husky Hurricane as they push me and shake the bar. Hayden will attack Nicky and try hump her then Nicky being the freak she is goes back at Hayden and starts humping him and fight more. Repeat ALL DAY if I allow it.

I've yet to come up with a solution except for separating them. If they get too crazy, I'll put one on the tie out for like a half hour until the other calms down a bit.

Aside from that, the only thing I can suggest is more exercise.

I was able to catch a few seconds on video while I'm working. This is the light version, it's usually much worse.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Sophie and Kay are like this all day. I put them all out to pee seperately or they'd just play outside and not go. Maya and Kay cant be outside together without me being out there to intervene when necessary anyway.

Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Mixie is like this with Soshanna. Its so bad that if I throw a stick for the 5 big dogs, Mixie doesn't key in on the sstick, she just plows all 75lb of her right into poor 44lb Soshanna. Soshanna can easily pin Mixie, but she never stops tormenting her. Even at the dog park, if 10 dogs are running around, Mixie is biting Soshannas legs, or trying to tackle her. When its needed I alpha roll them sternly but not angrily, grab the side of their neck where they bite each other, and tell them No. A lot of people are against the alpha roll, but in our well established pack it hasn't ever seemed to scar my puppies brains, or hurt the socialization.

I typed that whole paragraph to brainstorm a solution. Here's what my idea is..

What about stopping the fight with redirection , like for a dog that chews on inappropriate things? Get him a toy he likes, and when he starts pickiing on dog #2, tell him No, and when he stops, reward him with a toy. He'll figure out that stopping means toy time.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:27 pm

I love how Kay has to get the last word in lol!
Back to top Go down
Kellyb
Canadian Sunrise
Kellyb

Female Join date : 2012-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 pm

This sounds just like Tika and Ripley. Rip gets this exasperated look on her face like "Really? you Still want to play?"
Tika chews on Rip's ankles until we either tell her to leave it or Rip responds by laying down or rising to the bait. Now she's getting so much more playful though, so more often than not she'll turn and jump around with Tika until they get fed up.

Tika was worse when we first brought Rip home, she was also just over 1 year so she was at a crazy energy level. Now she has started to calm down and they wear eachother out more. I can't remember how old Kota is, but he will relax eventually. Maybe practice Leave It as a high reward for other stuff and then associate it with Skylar. If he is bugging her and you can get him to leave it, give him a treat or toy. Just keep reinforcing it. Skylar will also get more and more acclimated and hopefully more playful.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
I love how Kay has to get the last word in lol!
She always has to, she's a brat. Razz I hope it'll go away with age, I think she's really young. Maybe not even a year old yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Constant Fighting/Playing   Constant Fighting/Playing Empty

Back to top Go down

Constant Fighting/Playing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1