It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

pulley/ tether system?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nbesheer
Newborn
Newborn

pulley/ tether system?  Empty
PostSubject: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:49 pm

My dad shot down the idea of having a dog in a dog run while were at work. So my next thought is to get one of those cable pulley systems that span above the yard and the dog is tethered to the pulley so they can run back and forth and across the yard while still being restrained. This sytem can also be adjusted to keep the dog from getting too close to fences aswell. Is this a viable system or am i just grasping at straws here?

pulley/ tether system?  2012-03-12_17-13-45_810

Nick
Back to top Go down
Tccgold
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2011-10-17

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:55 pm

My first thought would be too many thing to get tangled up around (trees, doghouse, neck?). Then second would be is the dog going to get enough shade with the pulley? Seems like anything that would provide shade would be something the dog could get tangled up in.

We've used those systems while we are camping or having a picnic in an un-fenced area, but we've always been right there with the dogs to make sure nothing bad happened.

We ended up building a dog run with a house in it and 6' fences for ours during the day, and they love it. Chain link is quite expensive though, and even though we did all the work ourselves, price tag was still around $700 (20'x25'x6' with the fence buried about 1', and cinder blocks around the entire perimeter, buried in front of the fence.)

edit: added size of dog run.

Last edited by Tccgold on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

i would do dog run but im also crazy worried about leaving ours outside because of something happening so they are left inside, first crated then left to an area while were at work. is their a reason you cant keep the husky inside?

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Our neighbor had that cable pulley system in their back yard for their hound mix. That poor dog was miserable all day and I felt so sorry for him! There was a hole in the fence at the time and had just enough room to come over to our house and I would give him water.

I personally would never do that to my dog, I would look into getting a fenced in kennel with a top on it like some of the people in the forum have done. They aren't cheap, but are much better and safer in my opinion.

http://www.dogkennels.com/dog-kennels/dog-kennels/6996+6997+7005.cfm#N%3D6996+6997+7005%26view%3D35%26display%3Dgrid_view
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:43 pm

I had a man come in a while ago who was talking about the Huskies (they were sitting up front with me.) He had a Sibe before and said the dog jumped the fence while on the pulley and hung himself. My grandparents used to have one for their GSD who liked to scale fences. He ate through it Rolling Eyes

Personally if an outdoor kennel isn't an option your next safest is inside the home in a crate.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
gladahmae
Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 5:49 pm

We will be putting in a cable/pulley run for Niko when all of the frost is out of the ground and we can move our existing fence and cement in the posts. You will absolutely need to provide shelter, something for shade, and a water source that he can't tip over. You also can't use the run as a substitute for regular exercise/walks. We'll probably have to get a harness or martingale collar for that though, since he is adept at slipping his buckle collar.

The chain link kennels are a nice idea, but we've learned that they aren't an option for us. He literally bent the door over and crawled out through the hole. (However, he has seperation issues and I'm sure that this is part of the problem we have with those.)
Back to top Go down
nbesheer
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:16 pm

Hmm let me clarify some things that i should have included.
The yard is wide open, the only things she could get tangled is on the perimiter. But if the tree or wall provides 6 or 7 feet of shade away from it as long as she cant get close enough to the tree to tangle or wall to dig shell still have many feet of shade. The house also provides shade. There will be lots of water for her thats for sure as well as a dog house (igloo, since shes a husky haha) and i would have her on a good quality harness. And ive yet to determine what the lead would be so she cant chew through it. Was thinking a light chain but wrap it in something so if she does chew on it it wont damage her teeth. (Im still thinking what to do about that)

Edit. My dad wont let me have a dog and keep her in a run because he doesnt want a dog to be chaged up. Inside and alone is not an option. And this would only be while no ones home, and not a substitute for exercise
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 pm

I would be concerned about someone stealing her.. I have talked to several people in this area who have had their Huskies stolen.

I also agree with everything everyone else has said.
Back to top Go down
nbesheer
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Oh what i meant by yard is wide open is that its a completely fenced back yard but theres no trees or pools posts etc in the middle of it, just a huge patch of grass thats fenced in
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 7:51 pm

My biggest concern with having him outside someone taking him.. The people here who have had dogs stolen had 6 ft privacy fences and the dogs were taken.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 pm

nbesheer wrote:
Edit. My dad wont let me have a dog and keep her in a run because he doesnt want a dog to be chaged up.

Wouldn't the pulley system be chaining it up? Honestly, if a dog is determined enough, I don't see the cable/pulley system holding up to husky pulling power. Just wait for the first squirrel to catch his/her attention... My first dog broke a metal chain when I had him tied outside while I was doing yard work. I stopped to play with him and when I got out of his reach he literally snapped it in half in his excitment of play. IMO, the dog run is much safer and there are good ways to reinforce it so they can't get out.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Nobody wants to hear it, but sometimes we just aren't ready for a dog. If dad is laying down the law, you may have to consider not getting a dog at this time is the best choice for the dog.

I fear for dogs left unattended outside, there are too many things that can go wrong. Just recently someone poisoned a neighbors dog by stuffing meatballs with aspirin around these parts. Luckily the dog survived, but just barely. They never found the jerk either.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Why doesn't dad let her stay crated in the house?
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:00 pm

petsmart carries a tie out cable I hook river to one while he goes potty they come in differebt sizes and have a rubber coating but I dont leave him on it for any longer then an hour
Back to top Go down
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 am

I am a newbie at this Husky ownership. I would never ever be comfortable leaving my babies outside. I don't think I could handle the stress of going anywhere and knowing they are outdoors unsupervised. We even watch them when they are out in the yard just for playtime. Here in our town too, we have had a lot of Huskies stolen. Sadly we have found that a lot of people just think they are cool looking, and don't realize what owning a Husky entails. We had one last summer that was stolen and returned because the people that took them had no idea what they were getting in to. I found it funny, but sad, cause those people missed out on their pups youth. I could not bear that. On the pulley idea, I would check the laws in your city first. Here in our town, it is illegal to have a dog tied up or attached to any sort of line.

I don't know what your situation is as far as crating. My daughter went to Petsmart and bought a XX Large Crate for our two boys, it is massive!! We are very at ease leaving them in there when we leave the house, if we had too we are also comfortable leaving them for longer if we wanted too. They have room to actually wrestle and play in there.

Just my two cents.
JO
pulley/ tether system?  41707413
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pulley/ tether system?    pulley/ tether system?  Empty

Back to top Go down

pulley/ tether system?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1