It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 9:11 pm

With all this hoopla, I'm kinda glad that I decided to try the Grandma Lucy's Pure-formance lol (not because of the whole recall deal)
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:02 am

Tiff&Kya wrote:
More confirmation for feeding Raw.
I just kind of find that statement ironic considering that the recall is over salmonella, lol.

food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:08 am

Very glad CO isn't on that distribution since the kids love TOTW...
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 2:15 am

I think this is absolutely ridiculous. Come on Diamond..

I wonder if this why my dogs refused to eat the last bag of TOTW I got them, I through the bag away because I keep it in a container so i have no idea if our bag was on the recall...

Glad we switched to THK..
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 3:47 am

And it's made people sick with salmonella too, after they handled it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/10228415
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 3:26 pm

It's just something we need to keep in perspective. Again, no one is perfect, and as Riley pointed out, these things ARE going to happen no matter who manufactures the food.

All you can do is keep yourself educated and stick to what makes you and your dogs most comfortable.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Well, after my dog having had diarrhea for 2 weeks (which i had initially asummed was due to food change) I can honestly say that I am not gonna forgive them. I had/ have a recalled bag that I fed to my dogs. Regardless of mistakes, they were shady about it AND they have made mistake after mistake.

Acana can have my money, it's better food anyway

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 3:42 pm

There is no perfect food, but there are some foods that definitely have had more recalls than others...and there are some that have not had any recalls.

What bothers me about this recall is that they actually stopped production and didn't allow any Diamond products to be shipped out for a week or so after the very first recalled item so they could make sure nothing else was affected. Then they released the product / cleared it....but a week or two later they are recalling more products. If you had reason to believe more products were affected and were checking...then be thorough in your process.

Koda wrote:
It's just something we need to keep in perspective. Again, no one is perfect, and as Riley pointed out, these things ARE going to happen no matter who manufactures the food.

All you can do is keep yourself educated and stick to what makes you and your dogs most comfortable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 4:12 pm

I am in no way suggesting that someone should or should not discontinue use of their food if it makes them uncomfortable and I would hope that no one is suggesting that I am a lesser person or owner for choosing not to switch either. Wink

Of course there are companies out there that have fewer recalls. There are also companies that produce a fraction of what Diamond produces. That's not meant to "defend" them, that's just a fact.

And Megan, just because the bag was a recalled bag doesn't make it any less likely that your dog's diarrhea was from the switch. I remember that thread and it seemed like he was switched rather quickly and then his stools firmed up. That is 100% normal for a dog that was no transitioned properly. I'm not saying you shouldn't switch foods if it makes you uncomfortable to use a Diamond product, but I wouldn't be so quick to say that your pup had diarrhea from the recall when everything you had stated suggested that he had diarrhea from being switched too quickly.

Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 4:53 pm

^Yes. Using diamond's voluntary recall as a scapegoat for any and all of your dog's problems is wrong. I can understand the frustration, but I can hardly call their recall shady. They have been up front and honest, and are voluntarily recalling TOTW now, as a precaution. That isn't being shady, that is having you and your pup's best interest in mind while they sort out the issue.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Alright fair enough, I'm just frustrated. sorry guys. Didn't mean to overreact.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 5:55 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Alright fair enough, I'm just frustrated. sorry guys. Didn't mean to overreact.

If only everybody agreed that they were mistaken sometimes it would be awesome!

I can see your frustration Megan,but like Tori said it was probably the switch Very Happy Let's not even go there with what I'm going through with Asia right now. I seem to be blessed with pups with tummy issues Rolling Eyes Tori, I'm sure you recall my struggles with Mr. Kody!
Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 6:43 pm

I have only used Annamaet. Never an issue in over 20 years. Others I would recommend are Dr. Tim's, Red Paw, Nutrisource, Euk Premium, Eagle Power.

Stick to what Pro's use not what is made to impress people reading the label. Your dog is a dog not a baby.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 6:52 pm

LongRunFun1 wrote:
I have only used Annamaet. Never an issue in over 20 years. Others I would recommend are Dr. Tim's, Red Paw, Nutrisource, Euk Premium, Eagle Power.

Stick to what Pro's use not what is made to impress people reading the label. Your dog is a dog not a baby.
Hi, welcome to the forum! wave

Because you're new here, I'll explain that many of us, if not all of us, take great care and pride with what food we select to feed our dogs. Many of the brands we use do not use fancy advertising campaigns and we carefully look at the ingredients that are being used.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what the pro's" use because you haven't introduced yourself. Many of us here are professionals and regularly interact with very reputable breeders and mushers. Could you please explain what you mean? I would hate for anyone to take what you said the wrong way simply because you failed to introduce yourself first and get to know us better.

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:01 pm

LongRunFun1 wrote:

Most of those brands (the grain free varieties of them anyway) are certainly fine. I personally feel Annamaet is too potato heavy (grain-free) and since dogs are certainly in fact dogs (and not babies Wink ) I prefer to feed them as such which would mean reducing the amount of unnecessary carbohydrates and sugars and focus on a food which is more meat based. I feed raw, but for those of mine that were on kibble until recently... Finding a food to match that was very important. Thus, the ingredient labels and the manufacturers reputation was as well.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Koda wrote:
LongRunFun1 wrote:

Because you're new here, I'll explain that many of us, if not all of us, take great care and pride with what food we select to feed our dogs. Many of the brands we use do not use fancy advertising campaigns and we carefully look at the ingredients that are being used.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what the pro's" use because you haven't introduced yourself. Many of us here are professionals and regularly interact with very reputable breeders and mushers. Could you please explain what you mean? I would hate for anyone to take what you said the wrong way simply because you failed to introduce yourself first and get to know us better.

If you know "Pros" that don't know Annamaet, Dr. Tim's or Red Paw then they are not Pro's in Husky circles. Ingredients are just one thing that make a great food, not everything. How they are processed and tested are just as important. Performance is an art not a label.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:05 pm

LongRunFun1 wrote:
Koda wrote:
LongRunFun1 wrote:

If you know "Pros" that don't know Annamaet, Dr. Tim's or Red Paw then they are not Pro's in Husky circles. Ingredients are just one thing that make a great food, not everything. How they are processed and tested are just as important. Performance is an art not a label.
How am I to know if I know "pros" if you won't explain exactly what you mean by "pros"? Wink

Performance is an art, not a label? Sounds an awful lot like commercial propaganda and bullshit to me.

This is your second warning.

Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:06 pm

arooroomom wrote:
LongRunFun1 wrote:

Most of those brands (the grain free varieties of them anyway) are certainly fine. I personally feel Annamaet is too potato heavy (grain-free) and since dogs are certainly in fact dogs (and not babies Wink ) I prefer to feed them as such which would mean reducing the amount of unnecessary carbohydrates and sugars and focus on a food which is more meat based. I feed raw, but for those of mine that were on kibble until recently... Finding a food to match that was very important. Thus, the ingredient labels and the manufacturers reputation was as well.

Ok sure you know better than Rob Downey. How many mushing championships has he won? Is he not the co-chair of ISDRA? Have you published in major journals like he has?

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Have you done a chemical analysis on the foods.

How many GC's does Diamond T have?

I use Ultra by the way.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:09 pm

LongRunFun1 wrote:
arooroomom wrote:
LongRunFun1 wrote:

Ok sure you know better than Rob Downey. How many mushing championships has he won? Is he not the co-chair of ISDRA? I don't think you know what you are talking about. Have you done a chemical analysis on the foods.

I use Ultra by the way.

Quite honestly I don't know who that is and it doesn't matter to me. What do his titles have to do with the way dogs use the nutrients in food? Nutrients which are best used in their raw form? I feel I do know more if I chose to take nutrition for my dogs in my own hands and purposely use foods (raw or otherwise) which utilize actual meat rather than rice and corn for nutrition... Im more than happy to discuss using those ingredients and why they aren't appropriate IMO.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Robert Downey is one of the best known canine nutritionists in the world. He does not race now but is a rock star in performance circles. He pretty much invented the performance food as we know it today.

His foods are the best on the market. Others that are close are Dr. Tim's and Red Paw. Precise and Nutrisource are very good as well.

I only came on here to offer advice, this recall is going to get much worse. Please research where your food is made and stick to those plants I mentioned.

Last edited by LongRunFun1 on Sat May 05, 2012 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:15 pm

LongRunFun1 wrote:
Robert Downey is one of the best known canine nutritionists in the world. He does not race now but is a rock star in performance circles. He pretty much invented the performance food as we know it today.

His foods are the best on the market. Others that are close are Dr. Tim's and Red Paw. Precise and Nutrisource are very good as well.

Can you sound more like a broken record please? I'm having trouble understanding you.

Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Koda wrote:
LongRunFun1 wrote:

Can you sound more like a broken record please? I'm having trouble understanding you.

I gave you a list of safe plants and brands. That is all.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 8:26 pm

LongRunFun1 wrote:
Robert Downey is one of the best known canine nutritionists in the world. ....
His foods are the best on the market.

That's a matter of opinion.

LongRunFun1 wrote:
Others that are close are Dr. Tim's and Red Paw. Precise and Nutrisource are very good as well.

I'm not familiar with Red Paw but Dr Tims, Nutrisource, and Annamaet are far from what I'd consider great foods. Yes, they are good but there are much better foods out there. I recall much debate on Dr Tim's on another dog food forum from a single person spouting off about how it was THE BEST dog food...that was interesting to watch! Needless to say that argument was torn to shreds.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:18 pm

My thanks to HarlosHealthyPets ,,,,,,, used the link they provided , my bag TOTW , Not on the states listed , However possibly - thru private distribution purchased from or thru Tractor Supply /Farm and Home ,,,,, not in their control .... expires Feb2013 , code TDN0203A32XMS ....... well now need to find a gentile transition to another food , any ideas .......... anyone ?

Last edited by Tollman on Sat May 05, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:23 pm

There are plenty of other foods listed in this thread and the "What are you feeding your husky?" thread. Check them out and feel free to ask any specific questions you may have Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   food - Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next