It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:25 pm

also affected was Wellness Supermix 5 Large breed puppy
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:32 pm

From what I'm hearing, none of the TOTW (or most of the other brands listed) was positively contaminated, but is just being recalled as a precaution. Is that right?
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Yes.

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Myndi wrote:
From what I'm hearing, none of the TOTW (or most of the other brands listed) was positively contaminated, but is just being recalled as a precaution. Is that right?
That would be correct. TOTW was recalled as a precautionary measure even though NO bags tested have tested positive at all.

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:03 pm

That's good to know and eases my mind a little bit about this whole mess. I'm still not too thrilled with Diamond at the moment, but at least neither of mine have gotten sick and I think I'll move to Acana/Orijen for a while. I'd love to be able to do raw though.
Back to top Go down
Tollman
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:12 pm

....... Food for thought, From what I had read somewhere the initial recall was blamed on contaminated corn ( whats it in ? ) ........ When I started using TOTW roughly a year ago , it was because it was grain free ...... corn falls in the category of grain (grain free) ? , While I have not yet looked again at the ingredients of my Sashas TOTW , by standards it must be low enough to meet some kind of food non-disclosure , So its corn content must be practically non existent Or , However possible from contact contamination its also now on the recall , So In My Humble Opinion , as a caution , its going to warrant a short course of light antibiotics, The first sign of illness before her stools went soft and runny . was her Out of norm flattulence , getting gassy from nondigestable corn content , Or bacterial levels . I lost my Ginger to the last food fiasco , Thus I Dont know if I can trust Diamond again , That I know of , from Internet research , problems (sickness) have been reported since April , and production from the recall they have issued goes back to Dec 2011. They ( Diamond ) has left me in a quandry , Seems All pet food companys get recalls , they all have problems , They all need to make a profit , and make up previous losses , Diamond would have more of my respect if they had been less , hush hush about this episode , I just wonder are they worried about sick dogs , or the humans it can affect ....... Just checked , Corn is Not on the bag ???? Whats your Honor worth Diamond ?

Last edited by Tollman on Sun May 06, 2012 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:17 pm

I thought that the initial problem was with the lamb that was in one formula. I might be wrong, but I think I remember seeing that somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Okay... this is getting out of hand now. Please read this and do your research before starting to post further on this topic.

-The recall was enacted on foods produced in the South Carolina plant because of salmonella contamination.
-The ONLY brands to ACTUALLY test positive were Diamond's Natural Lamb Meal & Rice, Diamond Puppy, & Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Adult Light Formula.
-NO TASTE OF THE WILD FORMULAS tested positive. They were ONLY pulled from the shelves as a precautionary measure because some of the food was manufactured at the same PLANT as the contaminated brands. AGAIN- NO TOTW was affected and NONE has been contaminated.
-TOTW does NOT contain corn.
-The levels of salmonella are harmful to HUMANS not to pets. NO pets have been reported ill during this recall. Only humans have sought medical treatment. Salmonella is digestible by dogs in MUCH larger doses than humans (this is why a raw diet is perfectly healthy for them and we still have to cook our food).

PLEASE research before spouting stuff on the internet. I've tried to stay calm and allow healthy discussion but this is being blown WAY out of proportion now.

I am going to allow discussion on this topic in a limited fashion from here on out. Unless there is new information being reported and that information is backed up by articles or news reports, please do not post further. If you would like other food options, this forum is full of threads on food. Feel free to browse and research at your leisure.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 1347041234

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:45 pm

I trust the people at my local food store... They care about MY DOG and that important to me. We walk in every Friday to talk with the employees, play with their dogs, and update them on Tika... They are honestly interested on our progress and LOVE her.

Again I trust them.

From what they've told me, and I personally believe them, "TotW was recalled due to a possible salmonella scare. They found traces of it in the plant (Maybe corn was the culprit in the end) but none of the bags were infected. All the recalled bag were a Precaution".

I don't know, and I'm not pretending to know, if corn was or was not the culprit. But if it was that's not how salmonella works. It infects stuff as it touches it.... which is why you always clean your cutting board / counter when dealing with raw chicken (really any meat).

Just because there is no corn in TotW doesn't mean the corn couldn't have been the catalyst in bringing it to those bags.... All their food at the plant is processed through certain machines. If it was the corn it's simply because it was run through the same food process and not because there is CORN in your TotW.

TotW is grain free.... they aren't tricking to you.

I feel like I should put this out there......

I trust my local dog food supplier.
I trust the people on this Forum.

I used to feed Tika TotW, we are now on Orijen 6 fish... We switched months ago.

Recall or not, if the people who care so much about my dog told me the food was safe and Tika was still eating it I would still be buying it...

The week I asked about the TotW recall they had almost no bags in the store, This Friday they had the normal amount. I know, profit be damned, they would NEVER sell me something they know could hurt Tika... and that's enough for me.

~Chris~
Back to top Go down
LongRunFun1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
LongRunFun1 wrote:
Robert Downey is one of the best known canine nutritionists in the world. ....
His foods are the best on the market.

That's a matter of opinion.

LongRunFun1 wrote:
Others that are close are Dr. Tim's and Red Paw. Precise and Nutrisource are very good as well.

I'm not familiar with Red Paw but Dr Tims, Nutrisource, and Annamaet are far from what I'd consider great foods. Yes, they are good but there are much better foods out there. I recall much debate on Dr Tim's on another dog food forum from a single person spouting off about how it was THE BEST dog food...that was interesting to watch! Needless to say that argument was torn to shreds.

Well you don't know a thing about pet food. You look like a nice and caring person but you don't look like the type that would really know what a working or competitive dog would eat. Dr. Tim's Team won the Iditarod this year on 90% dry food. His other team won the Open North American 8 times.

You are draw to marketing and wolf fantasies, not actual nutrition.

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:02 pm

I've always wanted to use this emoticon...

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 931307

Strike three, buddy. Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 220499

Back to top Go down
Tollman
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:19 pm

I still recall the denials and disclaimers the last time this happened , Here at this site is a member reporting a sick dog , In Rosevill Michigan , an owner has blamed the food on his 9mo lab being sick and a $400 vet bill , I came here when my own dog ( child ) started to exhibit symptoms out of the norm . I dont sit with my head in the sand and deny , I would rather question others experiences , and review the results myself . Its Research . There is not a corp from GM to BP , that will tell you every trick they have up the sleeve , you have to prove it , Thats why they have so many lawyers . There are perspectives to this food born bacteria that some here seem naieve to , Once exposed to salmonella your dogs tolerance to it is greater than a humans , even though they may lose thier bowels , become lethargic and pass blood , Any pet , Not all can become a carrier to the bacteria , it will take a toll on the pets health/environment . Do you value your or your childrens health ? perhaps best describe here ......... www. drernieward.com/diamond-dog-food-salmonella-outbreak-infects-14/

Last edited by Tollman on Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Tollman, just a reminder that this is an internet forum. We only have the written word to communicate and because we have many different languages and backgrounds, we need to do our best to communicate as clearly as possible. That means avoiding text talk and writing in mostly proper english. Please pay a little more attention to your posts, as they are very difficult to read and understand the point you're trying to make.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySat May 05, 2012 11:34 pm

I just think there is an influx of people right now feeding off of the Diamond panic. Yes, it concerned me enough to make a switch, but it seems there are a few here who are taking advantage of the situation and have jumped onto the forum with alterior motives.
Back to top Go down
MyKeeonah
Teenager
Teenager
MyKeeonah

Male Join date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:44 am

Koda wrote:

is that a hitler emoticon? lol
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:09 am

Koda wrote:

Has anybody ever told you your so cute when you are angry.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySun May 06, 2012 10:50 am

Tollman wrote:
I still recall the denials and disclaimers the last time this happened , Here at this site is a member reporting a sick dog , In Rosevill Michigan , an owner has blamed the food on his 9mo lab being sick and a $400 vet bill , I came here when my own dog ( child ) started to exhibit symptoms out of the norm . I dont sit with my head in the sand and deny , I would rather question others experiences , and review the results myself . Its Research . There is not a corp from GM to BP , that will tell you every trick they have up the sleeve , you have to prove it , Thats why they have so many lawyers . There are perspectives to this food born bacteria that some here seem naieve to , Once exposed to salmonella your dogs tolerance to it is greater than a humans , even though they may lose thier bowels , become lethargic and pass blood , Any pet , Not all can become a carrier to the bacteria , it will take a toll on the pets health/environment . Do you value your or your childrens health ? perhaps best describe here ......... www. drernieward.com/diamond-dog-food-salmonella-outbreak-infects-14/
Thanks for cleaning that up. It's a little easier to understand.

Your article does nothing but say that some people have been treated for salmonella exposure and that people need to be careful and wash their hands. Again, this is ONLY the 14 people who reported issues with the actually contaminated and recalled bags. I actually don't think that anyone on this forum feeds those foods.

As for salmonella, I'd have to look more into the bacteria itself, but if it were a constant threat as you say to the dogs over time or to humans, I highly doubt we'd have raw feeders out there, so I think you're misinformed. As your article even says... if you obey proper rules of hygiene, you, your family, and your dogs will be fine. This isn't some radioactive bacteria. It's salmonella.. something that most of us are exposed to almost daily when cooking and handling raw chicken and eggs even.

Please don't contribute to the fear mongering I already see attempted on this forum. Do your research.

ETA: I don't know your issue with your sick puppy since you came on just to say that your puppy was sick from the recall, but the member from Michigan had a sick puppy due to switching foods too rapidly. It had nothing to do with the recall.

Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:36 am

Koda wrote:
Tollman wrote:
Thanks for cleaning that up. It's a little easier to understand.

As for salmonella, I'd have to look more into the bacteria itself, but if it were a constant threat as you say to the dogs over time or to humans, I highly doubt we'd have raw feeders out there, so I think you're misinformed. As your article even says... if you obey proper rules of hygiene, you, your family, and your dogs will be fine. This isn't some radioactive bacteria. It's salmonella.. something that most of us are exposed to almost daily when cooking and handling raw chicken and eggs even.

I have a degree in bio health. I have to say nicely stated. As long as your practicing the proper hygiene rules you and your dog is fine. In school we worked with a lot of the bacteria E-coli. Which is way worse than salmonella. Known of the students got sick because of practicing the hygiene rules. You have a better chance eating dirt than get sick from your foods.

Also if you pull a dog off a food to another one to quickly it bothers their stomach, you must slowly feed your way into the new one!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:44 pm

I knew that all along anyway about switching foods I was just being a frustrated husky mom. Sad Although we did call to get a refund on our recalled bag.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 10:12 am

You're welcome.

I have some customers that are staying with TOTW and some looking to change. It is a matter of personal choice. If you don't feel confident in the company that makes the food and want to suggest, there are plenty of other quality brands out there.

If you are specifically looking to stay with a grain free product close to the same price range, Acana Wild Prairie would be one suggestion. If you are open to other options (not grain free and/ or higher price range), there would be more suggestions.

Tollman wrote:
My thanks to HarlosHealthyPets ,,,,,,, used the link they provided , my bag TOTW , Not on the states listed , However possibly - thru private distribution purchased from or thru Tractor Supply /Farm and Home ,,,,, not in their control .... expires Feb2013 , code TDN0203A32XMS ....... well now need to find a gentile transition to another food , any ideas .......... anyone ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 6:52 pm

I admit I got a little freaked out when I just got a notice from National Pet Pharmacy today telling me about the TOTW recall because Buddy and Grace have started having loose stools and more gas than usual early last month and Jasper started having decreased appetite about the same time.

But now their stools seem to be back to normal and coincidentally just last week I decided to try out Canidae because it comes in a bigger bag for about the same price as TOTW and is supposed to be good and now Jasper seems to be getting his appetite back again.

I think in Jasper's case it had more to do with his need for variety. I normally order a different flavor of TOTW every time I order food, but this last time I forgot to change my auto shipment and they sent me the same flavor I ordered the month prior, so I think he was just bored with it. I can't explain Buddy and Grace and I'm not going to jump to conclusions about it being because of TOTW. They seem to be doing ok now, I'm just going to keep an eye on all of them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi Caroline looks like you have a chocolate lab too, mine is 11 months, and my husky is about 11 weeks

Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Omg, your babies are adorable! I love you

My chocolate lab, Grace, is about 6 years old (rough estimate since she was a rescue and they said she was 4 years old when we got her) and Jasper will be 2 years in August. I also have a cavachon named Buddy and he is 6 years old.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 8:17 pm

yours are adorable too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next