It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are "Treats"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:43 am

Yeah I was the one who enabled that system when I was looking for fixes.

I had left it up for about 2 or 3 weeks, before I really noticed it was showing how many treats you gave or removed instead of how many you had. Didn't seem right to me to keep it up at that point.

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 10:23 am

Fair enough. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a semi-hallucination spell for a minute there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Alrighty,

I know this took longer than we all would have liked. I apologize for that. The truth of the matter is this was, and continues to be, a rather hard issue to rectify in a fair and yet controlled manner. There just isn't one solution that is going to appease everyone, and even amongst the staff everyone seemed to have a different way they wanted to handle it.

That being said we seem to have agreed on a solution for the time being.

This doesn't mean this is the final solution, just that we all agreed it warranted being tested live to see how it went.

Firstly the "lock out period" will be lifted. Everyone will be able to "treat" upon registration again. So those members who are a bit more on the new side will gain this ability once again.

Secondly, and if you read this thread in it's entirety, we never liked the idea of the treat system being compared to a LIKE or DISLIKE button. We always saw the system more along the lines of rewarding those who provided you or someone else with good advice or information. It is a way people skimming a thread on this site can read what people believed to be the best, or the poorest, course of action.

To that end the PLUS and MINUS you see now will very soon be replaced with simply "Good Advice / Bad Advice". It may not be the prettiest fix in the world, but if this solution works out and everyone tends to like it I'll change the text to an icon or button later on. Maybe we could even have a competition for people to design a new Icon for the forum at a later date.

"Well if just sounds to me like it's going back to how it was before than?"

It kind of is Mister Voice in my head.... The idea is we want everyone to be able to provide feedback, but the manner in which the + and - were being used were not very responsible. We are hoping by switching the actual text in there, that the idea of what the system should be used for is more apparent to newer members.

At the same time we want to see if making the clickable area bigger will lead to more or less mistakes when people browse from a mobile device Wink. Will there be more accidents?

I'm going to leave the name of these votes as Treats for the time being. It may change to reputation later on, or some other thing... But for now Treats still works, we all understand it, and it's familiar.

As always your feedback is welcome, and encouraged. This was a very hard one for us, and it should have never taken so long, but we are hoping this helps cut down some confusion.

In the next couple of minutes you should notice it appear. Wink

~It's a Husky Thing Staff~

Last edited by Tika on Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Kelly forgot my coffee at home so I had lots of typos)
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Quote :
To that end the PLUS and MINUS you see now will very soon be replaced with simple "Good Advice / Bad Advice". It may not be the prettiest fix in the world, but if this solution works out and everyone tends to like it I'll change the text to an icon or button later on. Maybe we could even have a competition for people to design a new Icon for the forum at a later date.
I really think this will make it better. The problem with the +/- was that no one really knew what they meant (unless they read this thread) and just assumed "O hey I like what this person said." Actually having the wording (for now) sounds like it may make it easier to understand how to use.
Back to top Go down
Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Tika wrote:
I'm going to leave the name of these votes as Treats for the time being. It may change to reputation later on, or some other thing... But for now Treats still works, we all understand it, and it's familiar.

I think you should leave it as "treats" it is unique and fits the forum. Also makes people say, "hey, what is this." which might actually prompt them to ask or to read this thread Wink.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Can we perma-post Sticky threads on the right part of the screen (maybe just above Latest Topics)? It wouldn't even have to be ALL the stickys, just ones that apply to all the forums/sub-forums as a whole. That way, new members (and old members) will have easy access to the important topics? Just a thought...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:16 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
Can we perma-post Sticky threads on the right part of the screen (maybe just above Latest Topics)? It wouldn't even have to be ALL the stickys, just ones that apply to all the forums/sub-forums as a whole. That way, new members (and old members) will have easy access to the important topics? Just a thought...
If magic Chris could figure that out, I would LOVE THAT too. Alas, I have a feeling it's not possible.

treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Is it just me or are a couple of the buttons in the top right wonky now?
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Which buttons? I'm on Chrome and mine look the same...
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Im on a laptop and have Firefox; the only difference I see is the "Good Advice/Bad Advice".
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 5:20 pm

my register button has been funky and not part of the top bar and i cant see any ones avatar pictures on my work computer running firefox, makes me made.

and yes the only change is the good advice/ bad advice on the right side of your post that got changes. it used to be a +/-

Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Hmmmm... the text/graphic on my quote button and the other two buttons (report maybe?) to the right on the top of the post are wonky - can't read any of them. Using I.E.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm using Firefox and everything seems to be fine for me...

Anyways I think that the Good Advice/Bad Advice opposed to +/- does make a lot more sense so kudos for that!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Wy Renegade wrote:
Hmmmm... the text/graphic on my quote button and the other two buttons (report maybe?) to the right on the top of the post are wonky - can't read any of them. Using I.E.

I'm on IE right now and it looks fine to me.

That being said I'm on a 30" at home. Grab a screen capture with print screen or snag it and I can look into it.

~Chris~

Last edited by Tika on Thu May 16, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Koda wrote:
UndarthAngipoo wrote:
If magic Chris could figure that out, I would LOVE THAT too. Alas, I have a feeling it's not possible.

I'll see what I can do.

I'm not 100% sure if this is possible, but it SHOULD be.

I'll check if I have down time tomorrow Wink

~Chris~

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm on my tablet and everything looks normal to me.

The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 9:22 am

Tika wrote:
Koda wrote:
UndarthAngipoo wrote:

I'll see what I can do.

~Chris~

Done.

I'll start a new thread for this "enhancement". Good Call Angela Wink

~Chris~

Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 9:43 am

Tika wrote:
Tika wrote:
Koda wrote:
UndarthAngipoo wrote:

I'll see what I can do.

~Chris~

Done.

I'll start a new thread for this "enhancement". Good Call Angela Wink

~Chris~

w00t! (Sorry - it's Friday - I'm allowed to be a little off (read bat-crazy) than normal!
Back to top Go down
Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Tika wrote:
Wy Renegade wrote:

I'm on IE right now and it looks fine to me.

That being said I'm on a 30" at home. Grab a screen capture with print screen or snag it and I can look into it.

~Chris~

Its good today.
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

Female Join date : 2013-04-23

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 1:56 am

i accidentally just said this was bad advice because i didnt know what i was doing ... 0_0
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Just wanted to bump this one based on the influx of new members and some things I've been seeing in posts. Remember, the "good advice" button is not a like button, and not for something like "thanks for the information!" or "Wow, your dog is cute!". Please use it for something that is genuinely good advice that makes a really positive contribution to the topic at hand.

Conversely, the "bad advice" button should be reserved for something that is flat wrong or bad information, not just an "I don't like what you're saying" response. Thanks all!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Yea I saw it got misused in that breeder thread by the person that was mad at us....
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 12:53 pm

I've seen it misused today on the good advice side too, but yes, you're absolutely right.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 2:59 pm

any chance you could add a confirmation screen/pop up? I fat finger the good/bad advice on the phone and think a confirmation would help me stop making inadvertent +/-'s when i'm trying to scroll the page.
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Just a suggestion: Can the ability to give positive and negative treats be turned off for "Newborns"? That will give new members a chance to become acquainted with forum rules. If they decide to stay, and reach 50 posts the ability to give treats automatically gets activated. I dont know if this is possible, it's just an idea.

Several of us got negative treats from a crazy "breeder" that only joined the forum just to harass us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   treats - What are "Treats"? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are "Treats"?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next