It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Your pet peeves of other dog owners?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Oh yeah! Ug Diz would do the same thing... Woo Hoo, really short person has a stick!!! When off-leash dogs come up to Dizzy, I used to get really nervous because he plays rough like Siku. When he was 9 or 10 months and really unruly this lady wanted to let her old as dirt, barely able to walk cocker spaniel wearing a coat and booties play with Dizzy. I screamed at her to call the dog because I knew Diz was going to pounce and do his rude teenage husky play. She said the same thing, oh they'll be fine. So I blocked the dog with my foot, literally just put my foot in front of it to stop it from coming, and managing to hold Diz on my other side, and the dog just ran into my foot and toppled over. I didn't even move toward it, just held my foot sideways and the thing fell over. Then she yelled at ME for knocking her dog over. I asked if she really thought it would be fine and she said of course, so at that point I just let Diz pounce on the dog. Of course it fell over again and started yelping. I just said, "when someone tells you their dog is NOT going to be okay with yours, you better listen," and walked away. I swear I just can't understand the stupidity of people sometimes. Frankly, if I warn them, and my dog is on a leash and they don't listen, then I let Diz play...
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 1:01 pm

I really don't like kids at the park either. First of all, they're not allowed to be in there. Secondly, if you MUST bring your child in, at least stay with them at all times, and DON'T give them food to feed to the dogs! Any form of food or treats will be interesting to all dogs, not just your own! And not all dogs have great manners when it comes to food. Not to mention that not all dogs are great with children either.

Erica, I also don't like it when people let their dogs off leash in an area that doesn't allow it. If your dog has great recall, then fine. But if your dog is going to come up to us, and start barking and circling us while ignoring you, then no. This person always does this at the park where we go to, and of course, her german shepherd seems to hate Gus!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Dizzy is an instigator with certain dogs, I'm not sure exactly what he does, because I usually can't see his face, but he can set off just about any dog into a barking fit. Maybe his eye contact is too intense, but there are certain dogs that just detest him and lose it when they see him. There are three in particular that I avoid at all costs.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 1:08 pm

I don't get it either Jen! There's this one dog at daycare that absolutely DESPISES Gus! And everytime we run into them at the park, Gus always happily trots up to him to say hello, and he gets put down very quickly! And apparently there's a small little frenchie at daycare that also hates him and won't leave him alone. They have to be separated because the frenchie will bug him so much that Gus gets fed up and puts him in his place.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 1:17 pm

There's a list a mile long for me. Lol.

Kids in the dog park.
Food in the dog park.
Overprotective dog owners.
Just to name a few.

I've already dealt with an owner who said Mishka was being agressive because he was running with a group of dogs and nipping at one. I said that huskies play rough. And the guy just went off about how he's never seen a dog bite at another dog and it be playful blah. The other dog was having fun too. They ended up leaving after that. I didn't feel bad.

The other thing that drives me crazy are offleash dogs that don't listen. For some reason we have a lot of neighbors who let their little dogs out in their front yard to potty. And they always come running and barking at Mishka. I just let him go up to them. They usually run off scared from him but so what. There's a leash law. My dog is always on leash and even if I didnt have a husky I would have him on a leash or a tie out in the front with me. It's so annoying especially when we're biking and he's twisting around not wanting to leave the dog out of his sight.

siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Maggie,

I have yet to find a German Sheppard that likes either one of my dogs. We tend to steer clear of them at all costs. They just are always so mean to my poor boys, and I don't know what it is!

Jen, I'm with you if I give a warning and you choose to ignore it anything is fair game that my dogs do. The other day a dog came running up to ours and I yelled for the guy to come get him (mine were on a leash) and the guy didn't listen, and Nikolai bit the dog, slightly aggressive but I think more of a real warning. I didn't even feel bad because we were following the rules and he was not. Thats pretty funny about you putting your foot out though and the dog just falling over. I can picture the whole thing happening in my head.

And I don't know if its having a husky thing or just how people address dogs is changing, but in the past with any dogs people just assume they are boys, but every where we go people tell me how pretty my girls are. I don't know if they just think huskies are girly looking or if everyone refers to every dog now as a her, but its weird to me! I like to think my boys give off a manly vibe!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 2:14 pm

siku&nikolai wrote:

And I don't know if its having a husky thing or just how people address dogs is changing, but in the past with any dogs people just assume they are boys, but every where we go people tell me how pretty my girls are. I don't know if they just think huskies are girly looking or if everyone refers to every dog now as a her, but its weird to me! I like to think my boys give off a manly vibe!  lol! 

Kenzi is almost always assumed to be a boy. Size and coloring may play into it a little for some. Kenzi is fairly muscular and I think that's why most assume she is a boy.

Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 2:31 pm

TwisterII wrote:

siku&nikolai wrote:

Kenzi is almost always assumed to be a boy. Size and coloring may play into it a little for some. Kenzi is fairly muscular and I think that's why most assume she is a boy.

Lol people ALWAYS think Lycus is a girl first. Then they ask "it's a girl right?" And I'm just like nope lol
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 2:53 pm

It's funny, men think Dizzy is a girl, and women assume Dizzy is a boy. I've decided he is just a master manipulator and flirt and is able to endear himself to just about anyone. At least until he sniffs their hands, finds no treats and then moves on...
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 3:10 pm

simplify wrote:
There's a list a mile long for me. Lol.

Kids in the dog park.
Food in the dog park.
Overprotective dog owners.
Just to name a few.

I'll add

People constantly texting in dog parks and not paying attention
People thinking their dog's troublemaking and misbehavior is "cute"

Also the other day this happened. We are walking along and this guy and his dog are approaching. His dog is ripping his arm out of the sockets and barking and making Alien noises and the guy says

"Oh boy here we go, this isn't gonna be pretty. She really hates dogs. Can they say hi?"

Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 1625187496 
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Oh man, FLEXI LEASHES!!!!

Not only completely f'ing annoying, but dangerous to boot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 3:33 pm

I get that Nala is a boy all of the time! Mostly when she was a puppy!

Pet Peeves at the dog park are:

Water Bowls
Food
Children
People that keep the leash on until they get into the park
People yelling at my dog
Toys
& Small dogs in the big dog park

Nala is aggressive if another dog just comes running up to her especially a smaller dog for some reason she cannot stand small dogs!
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 3:36 pm

I read somewhere that dogs are threatened by blue eyes, so I think that when some dogs see her eyes they have a fit and they get aggressive with Nala
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 pm

#1- NOT PICKING UP YOUR DOG"S POOP, especially in the dog park. A dog park in Atlanta got shut down because owner's weren't picking up after their dogs
#2- Off leash little dogs that have no manners. I'm not going to yell at my dog because he pinned yours because yours isn't on a leash and not listening to you yelling at it at it barks and charges my dog.
#3 - OOOOOHHHHH They are beautiful. How could you fix them? Because I am a responsible pet owner.
#4 Did i mention not picking up dog poop? even if it is in your neighbor yard. Nothing like going out to get the mail and stepping in a big pile.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:05 pm

OMG POOP!!! YES! Just because there's snow on the ground does NOT mean you don't need to pick it up!!!
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:08 pm

The not picking up dog poop thing really angers me too! Living in an apartment where there are lots of dogs makes this a big pain. Our apartment even stocks poop bags and a garbage in places but they do run out on occasion so people must think it is ok for them to leave the poop because the apartment won't supply them at all times. It's your dog, It's your responsibility to pick up after them.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Same with us. There is this one guy that lives in my building but still doesn't pick up after his dog. The poo bags are FREE!!! Just take one as you walk past! I wish i was a more confrontational person.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:49 pm

I hate people that don't pick up there dogs poop. It drives me insane. However, I am one of those people at our house (I pick it up everywhere else). We live in a very small apartment building with these people who NEVER smoke outside even though they are constantly told to. Seriously, its like 6 people smoking 4 packs a day, its disgusting during the winter. But they really like to use the yard in the summer, so I told them when they stopped smoking in the winter indoors, then I would start picking up the poop every time so they could use the yard. They haven't done it, so I enjoy torturing them by leaving it. That might make me a terrible and gross person, but they really deserve it! And I do pick it up I just to let it build up for a little bit.

Erica, there is a dog park in Maine that just got shut down because people stopped picking up their dogs poop. I couldn't believe it, I had never heard of something like that but I guess its common. We are really lucky that almost everyone is responsible at our park and its always clean.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 8:46 pm

I don't really like how a lot of dog owners (or just people in general) seem to be overemotional and melodramatic about everything, especially when it comes to their pets. I also just keep quite around the average "dog person" most of the time, we generally have some very different (and strong) views about how the world should work and I'm not a fan of engaging people in rage battles. Outside of that they can be pretty cool though... :/

Oh almost forgot, I don't like it when people tell me how to raise my dog either unless I'm specifically coming to them for advice. It irks me when people think they know more about my dog than I do.
Back to top Go down
Lori-M
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 3:45 am

I just really do not like to see a dog not being properly cared for. (left outside in bad weather, not exercised, not acknowledged, fed regularly or lack of veterinary care) In the past I was the person who would be upset over these things but not speak out. Now, after having my dogs I am more likely to say something or make a call to report something than I previously was.

My second thing that bugs me to death is when we are out and I have my little girl with me in a pet friendly place. She adores animals and we smile and compliment or comment on the animal and the owner acts as though their dog is superior to my CHILD. Ummm no I don't think so! I love my dogs probably to a fault but I also realize that they are animals. Some only have pets and it is fine to love them like children but not to act as though they are superior to my children. Rant over lol. I will add that we would never walk up to pet or engage with a dog without the owners verbal permission because that is another of my pet peeves. I own a 1.75 lb Yorkie and a 4.5 lb Yorkie and it makes me upset when children are not supervised and come up to "pet" or grab my little ones. They are welcome to touch them but not pull them from my carrier or cart because they are just so little. They are easily dropped/hurt!
Back to top Go down
mishkaanfwolfgirl
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2014-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 pm

People (with there dogs) walk towards mishka when I'm trying to get her to walk away (she plays too rough and my town has mostly dogs which could result in injury) I've asked people to go the other way or go across the street so I can continue on with walking (and please note im a new husky owner I her from the pound and I've been working on her issues) and the people who think they have great control over there dog so the walk them without a leash and people who don't pick up after their dogs like seriously clean it up my dog wants to eat it if your dog poops and you don't have a bag go knock on the homeowners door and ask for one or do what I've had to do before and ask another owner who walked by for one (nicely) and received one and people who take their un fixed dogs to the dog park (mishka is fixed but I've seen it happen) also people who walk there dog on a very long lead u can understand if your going to a field or a park like I,do to do training but you dont have to walk your dog on a 15-20' leash there , your dog could chase a cat or run into the road and get hit you have no controll whatso ever of your dog also peoples dogs who get out and me being a kindheart towards animals i pick up and find no id tag so i have to take your pet to the pound and put you at risk of never seeimg your dog again
Back to top Go down
Rain City Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Rain City Husky

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 7:09 pm

So many! We live in an area with a ton of dogs! My biggest one is people who walk their dogs off leash or have them loose near their home. Second, we haven't got Link fixed, mostly because he hasn't had any behavior problems and is never loose. However, being lectured that I am being irresponsible or a poor dog owner. Especially since it isn't that I am against it but just have a dog that is well behaved the way he is and would responsibly do something if that changed. Other than that just poor manners is frustrating.
Back to top Go down
mishkaanfwolfgirl
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2014-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 9:00 pm

Btw I did not mean to offend people if I did about the fixing part
Back to top Go down
Rain City Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Rain City Husky

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 9:33 pm

No. Sorry if it sounded like I was ranting. It is something that I have had people lecture me about in the middle of the sidewalk. I don't think that there is always a right and wrong answer.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 1:11 am

Ignorance...I can't stand dog owners that are completely unaware of the other end of their leash. When you are out in public you need to be aware of your dog at all times...oh yes and pick up after your pet! Probably peeve 2 on the list.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your pet peeves of other dog owners?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next